It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Breathing pain in lung/chest while sleeping and shortness of breath.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
    hl24a3
    (male)

hl24a3 HB User
    Breathing pain in lung/chest while sleeping and shortness of breath.

Eight months ago, around September 2017 I woke up one morning because of a physical pain in my chest I felt with every breath I took. This condition stayed with me ever since and I wake up every morning feeling like something heavy was lying on top of me all night or something was very tightly wrapped around my chest and it doesnít matter if I turn to the other side or lie on my back, while Iím still lying it hurts take a breath, it feels like my lungs havenít got enough space to expand and they hurt by touching my rib cage so I have to get up and it usually takes about an hour or two for this problem to go away. Occasionally not very often I used to have a shortness of breath and chest condition aggravates it. I slept in different beds and itís still the same. Does anyone have a clue to what my problem might be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Breathing pain in lung/chest while sleeping and shortness of breath.

Have you seen your doctor? If not, make that your first action.

q

Old 04-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
    hl24a3
    (male)

hl24a3 HB User

Do you think it might be serious?

I didn't plan on seeing him as I consider it an utter waste of time because on few occasions I was dismayed by his performance, facing a serious problem ale he could do was to offer a ridiculous explanation and a painkillers.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Have no idea....it could be a pinched nerve or muscle spasming, costochondritis, reflux, host of other possibilities.
    Your discomfort determines whether it's worth the visit.
    Keep us posted....I urge you to go to the doctor to make sure it isn't heart, lung or other related.

q

Last edited by quincy; 04-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #5
    hl24a3
    (male)

hl24a3 HB User

During the last week few times I woke up in the middle of the night feeling really hot and last night I woke up all drenched in sweat. This would imply some kind of inflammation. Area affected by pain is right below the breasts and goes around. I used to have a similar night sweats but related to my back pain and "sciatica" type of pain, but this has now nearly stopped showing up. I wen't to see the doc back then about the back pain (which wasn't really all about back) it was in that area and I was totally ignored on few occasions, this is why I can't make myself to go again about this new problem now. It seems like the same thing, different type of pain just the affected area shifted up.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear hl24a3,

You may have low blood sugar. I just learned about this the hard way just yesterday.

I've experienced sweating at night or during the day and always just thought I had gotten too warm or it was menopause hormone fluctuation. Until yesterday, I was standing and passed out. I had thought my bad knee gave out and that caused me to slowly fall flat on my back, because I remembered it had buckled, but I remembered that my head hit the dirt so hard it puzzled me how that could have happened in slow motion. It was pretty unnerving when my husband said no, I had fallen fast and hard, straight onto my back and hit my head. When I fell it was almost lunch time, and I had been working really hard in the garden and had not anything to eat or drink.

I began researching as I like to do and read that when blood glucose gets too low it will trigger excess adrenaline and norepinephrine which causes excess sweating and one can go unconscious. I have passed out a few times without the sweat while I was sitting, and I had thought I was just extremely over-tired.

Looking back I realize this has happened to me many times before without falling or going unconscious, and many times it happened while driving. I'm getting myself to the doctor, ASAP, and taking juice with me in the car now.

Pain might cause the sweats, but also it may opposite. You may be having physical distress from too low blood sugar. Let me know if you get your blood sugar checked out.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi....I also suggest you get checked for cystic fibrosis markers. Sounds like a possible infection, but pain can also cause sweating. Hormonal ups and downs....as well.

Go to the doctor....you need at the very least an xray, plus a full work-up. As well, request blood testing, liver function tests, complete blood counts and vitamins b and d.

Doesn't matter what you had in the past, and while one can justify it till whenever, it doesn't change the reality of what's going on in your body.....and it certainly won't stop the constant discomfort or worry that you have about it now.

Please keep us updated.

q

Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
    hl24a3
    (male)

hl24a3 HB User

I think I have finally solved my problem (touch wood) maybe it will be useful to someone else.

My particular problem was so unbelievably silly that I can't believe it, it was coffee all along so it seems.

I always drank a lot of it and had no problems, then stopped for few years with no apparent benefit so I started drinking it again, usually very strong black no milk or sugar.

Weird I would have never suspect it but as it is now it all seems to come back to normal and in within the last 5 days I have been able to sleep and actually get rested, you can't imagine how good it feels.

btw I never went to see the doctor, I knew they'll never help me, it may seem funny but was already prepared for my soon demise and got even ok with it.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Coffee is a stimulant....so if you were getting those symptoms, it could have been heart related.
    I urge you to get checked anyway for your heart, and maybe push for a stress test. If you react to that, then the caffeine is what pushed your heart to that limit.

To me this isn't solved.....but yiu have found a connection.

Keep us posted,
    q

Last edited by quincy; 09-08-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    breathing problems, pain, sleep