It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Does this seem like Obstructive Sleep Apnea?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-26-2021, 04:57 AM   #1
    nosila
    (female)

nosila HB User
    Does this seem like Obstructive Sleep Apnea?

58 year old female. For the past few months, I have had a range of strange symptoms, but I it has been very dry here and I wonder if some are due to the dry air or if this is a byproduct of acid reflux or both. I stopped drinking wine a couple of weeks ago, so the acid and reflux problems have ceased, so I'm not sure that's a factor.

It started with strange sleep disturbances. Waking up with a hard to describe sensation in lower throat. Almost like a tick or spasm. On a few occasions, waking up feeling like I'm choking on a coin. That was scary! I had been taking muscle relaxers and lorazepam at the time, so cut those out and thankfully, that stopped. The other more mild sleep disturbance (spasm) is still present from time to time.

I have also been dealing with some vocal changes, like minor voice cracking and hoarseness, a bit of phlegm/throat clearing, and a weird tingling and slightly tight sensation from time to time in the upper lung/lower esophagus area.

Last night, I could not get to sleep because the spasm kept waking me as soon as I drifted off. I ended up sleeping inclined with a bunch of pillow under my back. That stopped the spasm and I finally drifted off to sleep. Like I mentioned before, I am overweight. This problem has gotten gradually worse the more weight I gain, so I think it might be OSA. Does this seem like OSA to you?

I saw my general practitioner. She suggested seeing my Gastroenterologist for a possible endoscopy. I waited a month for the appt and then canceled the day before because symptoms were starting to fade, but now they are on the uptick again. (I hate getting upper endoscopies! Woke up once while they were shoving the tube down my throat.) I also have a referral to a sleep clinic. Who should I approach first? The GI or Sleep Clinic?

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
    morpheus1514

morpheus1514 HB User
    Re: Does this seem like Obstructive Sleep Apnea?

Your best answer will of course come from a doc who examines you and has your complete med history. That said, you don't mention some of the the classic daytime signs associated OSA such as drowsiness, fatigue, or irritability. Your docs will help you get to the bottom of this.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
    Re: Does this seem like Obstructive Sleep Apnea?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nosila View Post
    58 year old female. For the past few months, I have had a range of strange symptoms, but I it has been very dry here and I wonder if some are due to the dry air or if this is a byproduct of acid reflux or both. I stopped drinking wine a couple of weeks ago, so the acid and reflux problems have ceased, so I'm not sure that's a factor.

It started with strange sleep disturbances. Waking up with a hard to describe sensation in lower throat. Almost like a tick or spasm. On a few occasions, waking up feeling like I'm choking on a coin. That was scary! I had been taking muscle relaxers and lorazepam at the time, so cut those out and thankfully, that stopped. The other more mild sleep disturbance (spasm) is still present from time to time.

I have also been dealing with some vocal changes, like minor voice cracking and hoarseness, a bit of phlegm/throat clearing, and a weird tingling and slightly tight sensation from time to time in the upper lung/lower esophagus area.

I am no doctor, but do have sleep apnea and a lot of what you wrote, I felt before I got on the c-pap. Am not overweight, but would wake up gasping, etc. Lack of sleep can cause all sorts of trouble with your health, including stomach problems, lack of balance, lack of concentration, heart trouble and the list goes on.

Last night, I could not get to sleep because the spasm kept waking me as soon as I drifted off. I ended up sleeping inclined with a bunch of pillow under my back. That stopped the spasm and I finally drifted off to sleep. Like I mentioned before, I am overweight. This problem has gotten gradually worse the more weight I gain, so I think it might be OSA. Does this seem like OSA to you?

I saw my general practitioner. She suggested seeing my Gastroenterologist for a possible endoscopy. I waited a month for the appt and then canceled the day before because symptoms were starting to fade, but now they are on the uptick again. (I hate getting upper endoscopies! Woke up once while they were shoving the tube down my throat.) I also have a referral to a sleep clinic. Who should I approach first? The GI or Sleep Clinic?

Any thoughts?

Reply Reply