It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Weird noises when falling asleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
    SarahSue

SarahSue HB User
    Question Weird noises when falling asleep

I am new to this board. Hi everyone!

Ok, I have noticed this recently, but I suspect it has been going on for a while. Sometimes, when I am about to fall asleep, I hear this loud buzzing or sometimes talking. (I can't understand the words, it just sounds like being in a mall at christmas time) I am fully aware that these noises aren't real, but they sound so real that I have to look up at my hubby to make sure. I don't know what causes them, but it is really scary.

Also, another thing is that sometimes when I wake up, or dream that I wake up, and can't move or lift my arms, or speak. This happened to me yesterday, it was about 8:30 in the morning and I knew my husband would be coming home. While I was in this semi-awake state I thought my husband had come in and changed his clothes and left. I could hear him walking around. I panicked because I started thinking that it could be some robber and I couldn't move or talk or anything. But when I really woke up, he had never been in the house. It is one of the scariest things ever. I sound like a freak, I know.

Does anyone know if these two are related? What can I do to stop them? They don't happen very often, maybe once a month. But it is still very scary.

Thanks,

Sarah

Last edited by SarahSue; 11-21-2003 at 09:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
    Angel77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Angel77 HB User
    Smile Re: Weird noises when falling asleep

High SarahSue,
    I'm new to this board but not to sleep problems. What you are discribing also happens with narcolepsy. I have the same problem. It is called an audio hallucination. I also have dreams while awake that the only way to tell if they are real or not is sometimes impossible. Do you have any other symptoms? Check out narcolepsy and see if it fits. I hope it doesn't but if that's what it is at least you can get treatment.

Good luck, sleepymisfit

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SarahSue
    I am new to this board. Hi everyone!

Ok, I have noticed this recently, but I suspect it has been going on for a while. Sometimes, when I am about to fall asleep, I hear this loud buzzing or sometimes talking. (I can't understand the words, it just sounds like being in a mall at christmas time) I am fully aware that these noises aren't real, but they sound so real that I have to look up at my hubby to make sure. I don't know what causes them, but it is really scary.

Also, another thing is that sometimes when I wake up, or dream that I wake up, and can't move or lift my arms, or speak. This happened to me yesterday, it was about 8:30 in the morning and I knew my husband would be coming home. While I was in this semi-awake state I thought my husband had come in and changed his clothes and left. I could hear him walking around. I panicked because I started thinking that it could be some robber and I couldn't move or talk or anything. But when I really woke up, he had never been in the house. It is one of the scariest things ever. I sound like a freak, I know.

Does anyone know if these two are related? What can I do to stop them? They don't happen very often, maybe once a month. But it is still very scary.

Thanks,

Sarah

Closed Thread