It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• scared to go to sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2004, 01:39 AM   #1
    damaged

damaged HB User
    Unhappy scared to go to sleep

I may sound weird, but I'm scared to go to sleep. When I turn off the lights I feel scared. I always think I hear a noise in the house and I always think someone is there. And I half to turn the light back on to feel safe. And I can't walk through a dark house to go to the bathroom or to the kitchen to get something to drink because if it's dark I Feel like someone is there and will get me. I'm not like this all the time. But when I am, I actually feel scared. Does any other people feel scared to go to sleep like that? I'm a grown woman and I feel silly being scared to turn off the lights and all. But I actually feel nervous and scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
    Janni
    (female)

Janni HB User
    Re: scared to go to sleep

Please don't feel silly. People need to feel safe to sleep well. I always check all doors and windows before I go to bed, even if I know I locked them earlier. Having little night lights in your bedroom, bath, halls, kitchen, wherever you feel you need some light would be a good idea. I always keep a flashlight by the bed too. I find that listening to music or a talk show while going to sleep helps take my mind off any worries. There is no law that says people have to sleep in pitch darkness if it is not comfortable for them. Feel free to adapt your home to whatever way feels safe and comfortable for you, and good luck

Old 03-06-2004, 03:07 AM   #3
    Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow HB User

Like Janni said, don't feel silly. Anything that scares you is not silly.
    I do that sometimes. If I'm really stressed about something I "hear" things, "see" things, am scared of someone breaking in, etc....
    I'm going to try to find some "soothing" CD's. The ones I once made fun of the ppl that listened to them. Maybe the sound of a soft breeze and ocean waves will make me drift right off. Have you tried anything like that?

Old 03-09-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

get dogs. Dogs always know before we do and they will protect you. (my dog saved my life. I've seen and heard of dogs saving other people. They rule.)

Last edited by prometheus; 03-09-2004 at 09:14 PM.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
    fallen_5555

fallen_5555 HB User

Clinophobia - THE FEAR OF GOING TO BED

Old 03-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
    Kimberly32

Kimberly32 HB User

I hear ya. I have dreams horrible dreams every nite and am afraid of going to sleep afterwards. do u liive alone? i find that i sleep better w/ the t.v. on or a nite light and my body pillow help me alot, maybe ud feel better w/ a security system or a guard dog, maybe a pet to be there in bed with u

Closed Thread