It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Vivid excessive dreaming + dream I cant wake up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
    fibrostinks

fibrostinks HB User
    Vivid excessive dreaming + dream I cant wake up

I wonder if anyone out there has these problems.

I have vivid and excessive dreams. It seems that when I wake up, I constantly feel like I was doing stuff all night and my dreams are as clear as day. They are so vivid. I never wake up refreshed, and feel like I am leading 2 lives: one awake, and one asleep. I wake up more tired after a night sleep than I do after 16 hours awake!

Another thing: I have this recurring "dream" on and off for the last 10 years or so. I dont know how to really explain it, but I call it the "dream I cant wake up". I am dreaming I am trying to wake up and I cant! In my dream I am trying to hit myself with my hand or kick myself awake or trying to scream, but cant do any of these things. I feel like I am suffocating while I am trying to wake up. It SEEMS like I know I am trying to wake up, but then when I actually DO wake up, I realize it was just a dream. I know some have said sleep paralysis, but I am Not actually AWAKE. It is a dream. Its just I am trying to wake up from my dream and cant and its full of terror, panic and stress because its like I cant breathe until I wake myself up (in the dream).

I just read that back and i sound mental! LOL. Good grief, thank God for anonymity on these boards

The following user gives a hug of support to fibrostinks:
    Lindama (11-21-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
    Re: Vivid excessive dreaming + dream I cant wake up

You have just described sleep paralysis. You are not awake with it but in some sort of limbo. I used to have it but have not for a number of years. It is very frightening. Like being dead and trying to not be.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

if you are always tired you may have a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea

some meds including antidepressants can cause strong vivid dreams that seem to last all night

Old 03-31-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
    fibrostinks

fibrostinks HB User

I am not on any meds.

Also, I dont think from what I have read that its sleep paralysis. I am NOT awake. It is definitely a dream.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You are not awake with sleep paralysis. You are suspended between asleep and awake but you are not awake. You feel like you are but you are not really. You generally wake up as you push your consciousness to wake up. You feel like you are fighting to wake up. It is a dream but you are somewhere between REM sleep and consciousness. Check it out on Google for a better explanation

Old 04-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
    fibrostinks

fibrostinks HB User

I have read about 100 sites from Google and every one I read says Sleep paralysis is upon waking or upon falling asleep. They all say you are Awake. That is why I am confused. I cant find anything that describes what I have, when you are NOT awake and its actually a dream. If you can find something, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 04-02-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, I will look but I know I was not awake because when I did wake the paralysis was gone. It is something in the subconcious that occurs in the brain as part of the brain is waking and other parts are still in sleep mode but my eyes were not open nor could I have spoken had someone been there therefore I was asleep since I can do these things when I am awake. Best I can tell you. It did usually occur toward morning never upon falling asleep. Sorry, best I can do to explain it.

Closed Thread