It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Never Enough Sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #1
    Ashlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ashlee HB User
    Unhappy Never Enough Sleep

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me...

I know this isn't a sleep disorder, but it's the closest topic I could think of. So I hope I'm posting in the right place.

My problem is that I just can't seem to get ENOUGH sleep. I used to have the problem of not being able to sleep at all, and I was constantly tired. Ie, I would fall asleep at about 3 or 4 in the morning before having to get up for work at 7am.

But back then I was severly depressed and more. I'm a lot better now, and I can usually fall asleep withinn half an hour, but them I'll sleep for at least 12 hours before someone else has to come and wake me up, and even then I don't feel refreshed at all.

If I only get about 8 hours sleep my eyes are all swollen like I've been crying and everyone can tell I'm tired, and I'm yawning all day...

Just wondering if there's any natural supplements that might help? Any kind of vitamin that I may be lacking? I don't know... I'm just sick of feeling tired all the time.

Thank you.

Ashlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
    Tired Toodles

Tired Toodles HB User
    Re: Never Enough Sleep

Actually Ashlee, I sounds very much like a sleep disorder. I have the same symptoms and I have obstructive sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, and periodic limb movement disorder. You could have any of these and not realize it. I sure didn't.

I would recommend that you find a doctor specializing in sleep medicine and make an appointment. You probably need to have a sleep study done.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
    jeh rpsgt
    Inactive

jeh rpsgt HB User

Perhaps you had some anxiety along with the depression that caused the trouble sleeping..and now are you on medication, like an anti-depressant? Most antidepressants and benzodiazepines have an effect on your sleep and some cause daytime drowsiness. Is there a possibility of sleep apnea or another sleep disorder? Are you overweight, have a thick neck, or do you snore? Also might want to get some bloodwork done to check for other things, like hypothyroidism.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
    Ashlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ashlee HB User

Hi there, and thank you both for your replies. I appreciate it!

About anxiety, I deffinately did have that problem back when the depression was at it's worst. That's what would keep me up all night, I would just have a million thoughts and worries running through my head all night, so I couldn't sleep. Last night was much the same. It was 5am before I fell asleep. That's the third night in a row. But for the most part lately I'm so tired it's EASY to fall asleep.

And yes, I am on an anti-depressant now (Celexa/Cipramil), but even before that I was tired a lot. Don't teens need a lot more sleep anyway? I just don't know if this is normal...?

No I'm not overweight or any of those other things.

What exactly does a sleep study involve...?

As for the sleep apnea, as far as I know it's not in my family. But then, I don't really know any of my family except for my imediate family on account of them living on the other side of the world and all. One thing though is that my mum is frequently up half the night, or she wakes up and finds it difficult to get back to sleep. That's the problem I used to have too, it started about the same time for both of us.

Well thanks again for your replies.

Ashlee

Old 06-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
    jeh rpsgt
    Inactive

jeh rpsgt HB User

Well, from [url]www.celexa.com[/url], it lists the most frequent side effects as nausea, dry mouth, drowsiness, insomnia, increased sweating, tremor, diarrhea. Most meds like this cause daytime drowsiness and do have an effect on your actual sleep stages, sometimes suppressing rem sleep. Some people taking antidepressant/anxiety meds don't go into rem at all while they sleep. As soon as you stop taking it, your brain rebounds into rem, and then you dream a lot for awhile. Anyways, I'm sure your meds atleast make you a little drowsy, but there could be so many other reasons you're tired. Try just going to bed when you're tired and when you feel like it. Teenagers do need plenty of sleep and the majority get the opposite. It is stressful at your age and it can exhaust you. If you can't seem to catch up on your sleep, and it interferes with your daily activities, just see your doctor again. Don't give up till you feel normal again.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:27 AM   #6
    angelbear1768
    (female)

angelbear1768 HB User

You could easily have PLMD periodic limb movement disorder and not know it. I didnt until it got so bad hubby thought I was having seizures. For a sleep study you just go in hosp for 8 to 10hrs while they hook you up to a bunch of leads and then watch you sleep. You would be amazed what could be goin on when you think you are sleeping. Good luck.

Closed Thread