It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Snoring is destroying my marriage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
    Daydreamer2

Daydreamer2 HB User
    Snoring is destroying my marriage

My husband and I can't sleep in the same room because he snores so loud. He knows he snores loud but doesn't want to go to the doctor. I have tried everthing on the market to help and nothing helped. I notice he stay tired alot even when gets a full night sleep and he is very forgetful. His age is 44 and carrys most of his weight in his upper torso. He drinks and I keep telling him he needs to go to the doctor. I am at my last wit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
    jeh rpsgt
    Inactive

jeh rpsgt HB User
    Re: Snoring is destroying my marriage

He could have sleep apnea. But you'll never know if he won't go to the doctor.

Old 08-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
    Wayne Virgil

Wayne Virgil HB User

My mate does the same. She snores a lot. She must drift between sleep and wake and not notice, because one second she'll talk with me, next, snore. I can't function with little or interrupted sleep, I'm a wreck.

She's quite heavy as well. Is there anything I can do, because I dont want to bring this problem to her first. Otherwise we can't sleep in the same bed.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Do whatever you can to get him to a doc. Keep in mind that sleep apnea and snoring isn't just an annoyance. Being deprived of oxygen is really hard on your body. People with apnea can have high blood pressure, pulmonary hypertension, and heart damage. Plus you say he is tired and forgetful, and I am sure that is affecting his work, etc. Before my husband got treated, I was always worried he would die in a car accident after falling asleep at the wheel.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

There are quite a few products available that you can try. They come in several different forms including sprays and mouthguards. Ask a physician. They see a lot people with snoring problems.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

it helps to tape record the snoring so you can play it to the doc on your tape player

any gagging or pauses in breathing are a sign of sleep apnea, but with apnea, it can happen on almost every breath, so there wont always be a period without breathing for apnea

Old 09-13-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
    trauth116

trauth116 HB User

My girlfriend had the same problem with me - and I eventually had enough courage ( well it was probably I happened to remember it) - to mention it to a doctor - they had me do the tests and all - and in the end perscribed me a CPap machine - it turns out that I had stopped breathing 116 times in the 4 hours I was there -- although I was a little sick with a cold at the time anyway -- ...

but it sure could be sleep apnea- it seems to have cured the snoring -so I am thankful to have such a thoughtful and caring gf (she also nailed my high blood pressure diagnosis too). .

Old 09-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #8
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

People that are overweight have a tendency toward sleep apnea. With sleep apnea you actually stop breathing many times a night(100's)which is why you are so tired the next day. Also, snoring is usually a signal that you have apnea. Losing weight in iteself can cure sleep apnea. It really is not something to take lightly. If one will not do anything about it the spouse can only move to another room. That in itself may make the spouse do something. most men do not want to deal with it but if their spouse isn't there at night they might reconsider. Show them on the net where sleep apnea is a life threatening condition.

Last edited by Canyondweller; 09-13-2004 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
    mishimishi

mishimishi HB User

Not everyone who snores has sleep apnea. The snoring problem may not be fixable. If that is the case, you need to get used to it. If you continue to sleep in another room, you're just avoiding the issue. Many people live in noisy conditions and are able to sleep. It's a matter of just getting used to it..

When I was growing up, I shared a bed for many years with my grandmother. She snored loudly. But I learned to live with it. She was not overweight. Nor did she have any health problems. She lived into her 90s. My father also snores loudly. My mother learned to live with it too. Over the years, I've shared a room with my father and it doesn't bother me either because I don't let it. He is overweight but he doesn't have any high blood pressure issues, and he is well rested (not tired). Now I snore too. My snoring has become quite loud that my husband says the same thing you do about yours. He can't sleep with me and so chooses to sleep in the other room. Even though I sleep less hours than he (about 6 hrs vs 8hrs), I have more energy in my pinky than he does in all his body! And I don't have high blood pressure. I can sleep anywhere under any condition yet I can wake up in an instant if my name is whispered or I hear a strange unusual sound. I get a good solid rest everyday, yet my husband regularly complains he didn't sleep well (not due to my snoring since he doesn't sleep near me). As my grandmother said to me always, if you let things bother you, then they bother you. It's like the clock ticking in the house, you don't hear it, but once you start to notice it you can't stop hearing it.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #10
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mishimishi
    Not everyone who snores has sleep apnea.

That is absolutely true. But many do, and the possible consequences of apnea are serious, so it is certainly something that is worth getting checked out. If only "just in case."

My husband also has apnea and wears a CPAP. He didn't feel tired or think that he had any problems but took a doctor's suggestion to have a sleep study (he is overweight). Now he says that he feels so much better. Sometimes you just don't realize that there is a problem until you get it fixed.

Last edited by analog2000; 09-14-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:41 PM   #11
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

If you look up sleep apnea snoring is listed as a symptom. It doesnt mean that everyone that snores has it but usually people that have sleep apnea do snore. Just like one doesn't alway fall asleep during the day with it. These are symptoms and you may not have all of them and still have apnea. It is like every other disease people are all different. As for getting used to it. If you can fine. Many people can't and should not be dissed for having to sleep away from it. I can sleep with traffic noise, train noise, etc. but not any noise in the same room including a fan. Like I said we are all different but life is too short to be stressed out when we are supposed to be resting so if someone has to sleep in the other room so be it.

Old 09-20-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
    mishimishi

mishimishi HB User

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was dissing daydreamer2 for sleeping away from the snoring. Getting used to the snoring was just a possible solution that I tried to show was possible to do. If sleeping separately helps then that's fine to do. However, it doesn't sound like that is a solution for daydreamer2; sounds like someone is not okay with that.

In my case, my husband blamed my snoring for his low energy as he couldn't have a good night sleep, but sleeping separately hasn't changed anything. He still doesn't get a good nights rest. Since my husband can't get used to the snoring, sleeping separately is our solution.

Closed Thread