It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Anyone tried provigil?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
    Campsurf

Campsurf HB User
    Anyone tried provigil?

I'm almost always sleepy throughout the day and have depression issues as well. I'm thinking of trying provigil. Has anyone tried it? What was your experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
    Zayazmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Zayazmama HB User
    Re: Anyone tried provigil?

Let me tell you a little about provigil.....I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!! I was taking some medication for bi-polar quite some time ago, and I was working full time, going to school full time, and raising a kid. I was exhaused no matter how much sleep I got. My doc prescribed provigil. It was the best thing I ever did. It woke me up, but not like those pills you buy OTC. Those have horrible things in them that can really hurt you. Provigil is non-addictive, and doesnt have anything in it that can cause heart problems, or anything like that. The ones I got came in pills that were 200mg. That was a bit too much for me. I usually (but not all the time) cut them in half. They wake you up, but you dont get all jittery and feeling like you are on crack or something....ha ha ha..... If you get them, make sure you take them EARLY. The one problem I did have on them was that I would forget, and then end up taking them around 10am, then I would struggle a bit getting to sleep at night. I recommend them. I wish I could take them now cause I am TIRED, but also pregnant, so I cant. But when I have this baby, I am going right back on them.
    Please post again and let me know if you get some.......

Good Luck!!

Old 08-08-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
    Karen316

Karen316 HB User

Yes, I take it for ADD and surprisingly enough, depression. (i'll get to that part in a minute). For the ADD - I tried Adderall (nothing) and Concerta (loved it - but bad side effects: insomnia, stomach pains, frequent urination, and not good if you have an addiction history (painkillers). So I started the Provigil a couple of weeks ago. I'm on 200mg. It seems to work good. No bad side effects, not panicky.
    As for the depression part - I've seen doctors for the past 20 years off and on b/c of depression - nothing worked. Not Paxil (made me sleepy) Prozac (anxious), any other SSRI's, not even the "wonder" drug Effexor. I was on Nortetriptelyne (or however it spelled) seemed to work better than the others but not great. (and I got fat but that's irrevelant). Anyway, I haven't taken any Noretrip.. in about 1 1/2 weeks. Half the time when I was depressed, I was laying around doing nothing, no motiviation but I knew I had things to do, just couldn't get up to do them which made me more depressed, sleeping all the time, could not get up in the morning. And when you're laying around knowing you have things to do but don't do them you get more depressed - like a vicious cycle. Now I have energy but I'm not "high" like the other ADD drugs make you feel. I like it alot so far. It makes me wonder if I ever had depression in the first place or was it ADD all along? Too soon to tell but so far so good. Let me know how you do.

Last edited by Karen316; 08-08-2004 at 06:00 PM.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
    TaterCR

TaterCR HB User

Well - hate to break the good feeling, but I've taken it as well - for a combination of things - depression and shift-work. It did work in the beginning, but the effect finally faded off. I don't know why - but, it just went away for some reason. Oh well...good luck

Old 08-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
    Campsurf

Campsurf HB User

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your responses. I just picked up the pills today, will start tommorrow on 100mg around 6am. As long as I keep a glass of water and the pills on my night stand I should be able to pop one in my mouth when the alarm goes off. Does it take longer than one day for it to work? I guess I'll find out. I am concerned about the effect wearing off eventually as Tater reported. How long were you on it Tater? What dose?

Old 08-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
    Campsurf

Campsurf HB User

Worked great today. I took 100 mg at 6am. Had a strange sensation when I first took it though, felt like I was going to lose my sight. I know, sounds really weird. I have also had some chest pains, but I get pangs now and then when I am anxious and I think my fear level was way up just in anticipaiton of the drug's effects. I hope these strange sensations go away. On the plus side, I was able to wake up at 6am, no problem and was not a zombie for once at work. I did not feel high at all just as I normally do when I'm feeling awake.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
    Karen316

Karen316 HB User

Hey Campsurf
    I'm glad it worked right away for you. I know when I first started taking it I had chest pains a couple of days (but then again, I also smoke) and as for the eye sight problem: I noticed when I 'm on the computer for a while, it seems my eyes get weird. I can't explain it, it's never happened before only when I take Provigil (and when I took other stimulant meds for ADD). So hope it continues to work for you. Karen

Old 08-16-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
    Zayazmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Zayazmama HB User

Campsurf....

How's the Provigil? Yeah, when I first started taking it, I was a bit weird for a couple of days, then I was fine.

Still taking it? How are you feeling?

Old 08-26-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
    Beccastamm

Beccastamm HB User

Hello Everyone, A newbie here but I wanted to jump in because I am on provigil for narcolepsy.

I am glad that you are doing well with it and it is working for you. It does not seem to be doing a very good job of keeping me alert. I was previously on Ritilin and it was keeping me alert but the side affects were so unpleasant that I switched to the provigil. Did anyone notice that maybe it starts working after you have been on it for awhile. I have only been on it for a week and a half or so. I am trying to decide if I should go back to Ritilin and put up with the side effects because it helps me stay awake.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
    2tiredmom
    (female)

2tiredmom HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone tried provigil?

My doctor gave me a prescription but insurance won't pay for them so far. Waiting for the doctor to send a letter to insurance. Hopefully they will help for me. I have CFS mostly likely caused by Epstein Barr Virus and Sleep Apnea. Good luck everyone that's using it!

Old 08-27-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
    crazygirl32

crazygirl32 HB User

I am thinking of trying this.. I think I suffer from depression.. I have been to see my doctor, but he never did anything about it. I ws so frustrated. My husband has add.. I wonder if this would work for him? He is on strattera and has some of the same symptoms I have.. weird huh? anyway.. I might check into it. Does it make you gain weight??

Closed Thread