It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Itchy nose with CPAP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
    BorkBork
    (male)

BorkBork HB User
    Red face Itchy nose with CPAP

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with "Moderate" sleep apnea (although I still have doubts that the diagnosis is accurate, because I'm still not feeling any relief after almost 2 months of treatment). I also recently got set up with my CPAP machine. It is an Autoset Spirit made by ResMed without a humidifier. I'm using a Mirage Ultra nasal CPAP mask.

The problem that I'm having is that I'll wake up several times per night with an extremely itchy nose. More specifically, it's my nasal hair that is itching. It usually happens first after about 3 hours of sleep. So anyway I wake up with the itchy nose and I just remove the mask and rub my nose a bit then go back to sleep. If I'm lucky this will keep me going for another couple of hours before it happens again.

This is not a dry itch, in fact my nose is quite moist even without a humidifier on this unit. Anybody have any suggestions as to how I can eliminate this problem? Hopefully once I get this resolved I can get some relief from the CPAP. After 2 months I have yet to sleep one night uninterrupted with the CPAP.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

BorkBork

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
    MayorG

MayorG HB User
    Re: Itchy nose with CPAP

I have the sam eitchy nose problem. I have been sleeping with a cpap for about 9 months now. I was drinking an access of 45 oz of coffee a day. I would stop breathing an average about 57 times an hour. Holding my breath as long as 50 seconds dropping my blood oxygen to 81%. The itchy nose is nothing compared to how great I feel now!

Old 08-21-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Hello,

2 months is really not a long time to go without noticing an improvement. You have probably been living with extreme sleep deprivation for years, and that takes a long time to recover from. In my own experience, it was well over 4 months before I began to notice a difference. Every night was like torture, and I wanted to quit, but now, 2 years later, I would never give up my CPAP. There are really not words to describe how much better my life is now that I can stay awake during the day.

The long time delay is one of the reasons why so many people give up on CPAP.

As for the itchy nose, maybe you should start using a humidifier? Even if your nose feels moist, it could still help. My husband (who also uses CPAP) started having problems with an always runny nose. His doctor said that, counterintuitively, it could be caused by too little humidity. He started using a humidifier, and it quickly cleared up.

So try to stick with CPAP, the results are so worth it!

Good luck,

Lisa

Old 08-22-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
    MayorG

MayorG HB User

I can say as well Lisa that I feel a million times better. I have a very stressfull job and work nights. I was a bear. I would have a tollerance level of about zero when something upset me. And it was all due to sleep deprivation. In fact the people I work with said I was more fun the old way! Now things that would of really P'd me off just roll of me.

In short.....since on my cpap my allergies, asthma, and acis reflux have improved dramatically. Infact the acid reflux is really just about gone. Dont rot your stomach out like I did overdosing on coffee! My brother yelled at me for years to go get tested. I am amazed at how I kept the level of concentration I did for so many years. However it did catch up to me and I finally went for a sleep study. I can remember waking up gasping for air as a late teen early twenty year old. I am 43 now. If you fatigue easy and snore like a bear and suddenly wake up jirking unexpectadly....GO FOR A SLEEP STUDY! Best of luck! Greg

Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
    puppers

puppers HB User

I use something called Ocean Spray found over the counter at a local drug store. It is a saline solution. I sniff two puffs of that up my nose before putting on my machine AND I demanded a humidifier with my machine because you are breathing in DRY room air.
    It has worked well for me.
    PS I also posted on some other links which might be helpful about sleep apnea if anyone is interested.
    God bless,
    Puppers.

Closed Thread