It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• paralyzed during waking? what is it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
    boaz

boaz HB User
    Question paralyzed during waking? what is it?

I have had spells in the past....used to be worse....I take a day nap....and say hear my hubby comming in in his loud vehicle and I felt awake but my eyes were shut and I couldn't open them or move...and it seemed like I couldn't breath...and I'd think I was just gonna lay there and die! It only seems to have happened in daytime naps....and just recently i had one....it felt like I was twitching in my face and seems like I was having a seizure and couldn't breath or move...and then I always finally awaken with a start...or like a gasp maybe?? It's just really weird and scary...i don't have insurance, hubby does and he stops breathing in his sleep....he says I do too, which I knew I did...he's going to sleep lab soon...maybe if he gets a machine we can share it? Is there such a thing as sleep paralysis? Seems like I heard about it sometime.....but I know it's a scary crappy feeling...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
    marlena1967
    Inactive
    (female)

marlena1967 HB User
    Re: paralyzed during waking? what is it?

OMG This happens to me, too!!! It happened to me just the other night. Ihave noticed it has to do with stress. What do you think?

Old 08-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #3
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Yes, there is such a thing, and it is called sleep paralysis. Try googling for more info - it's pretty interesting.

I used to have frequent episodes of sleep paralysis, and it was always terrifying, just really horrible. I knew I was awake, but I couldn't move and I was certain I was in danger, but helpless to do anything.

About two years ago I started using CPAP (for sleep apnea) and the episodes have almost entirely stopped. My doctor told me that even though the apnea and paralysis were two different disorders, apnea could make episodes of paralysis more frequent. I think because your sleep is just so disturbed and abnormal.

I didn't have insurance either, and the sleep study, machine, and equipment was expensive - more than my car (of course it is a crappy car!). But it was worth every dime. A lot of doctors and sleep labs will give you a payment plan, and CPAPs and equipment can be found much cheaper on-line.

I know it's a lot of money, but what price can you put on a life where you aren't tired all the time, and don't wake up scared? I didn't realize how bad things really were for me until after it was over, but looking back, I'm surprised I survived.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
    boaz

boaz HB User

analog can you enlighten me more on the differences of the two...esp. sleep paralysis...I'll do a search also...but if you had the quick answer...hubby is at sleep lab right now...I think from what I talked with the tech or whatever he was that hubby has whats called central apnea, as opposed to sleep apnea..which is from some kind of obstruction..fat throat, big tongue whatever, but the central is from the part deep in brain that tells you to breath...he doesn't seem to struggle like I've seen my dad do and what he says I do...he just plain doesn't breath....he almost died from an aneurysm last year anyway..I'd say that's made the change..but now I watch him like a hawk too....

on the sleep paralysis...I seem to have them more in a day nap than at night time...or if I do it's just before I get up...but I remember the worst ones from day naps...fact had one just other day...and if stress is a big cause...geee I'll be dead soon!!!

Old 09-09-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
    teady843
    (female)

teady843 HB User
    Exclamation Re: paralyzed during waking? what is it?

This is in response to mljones concerning sleep paralysis. Mine was caused from Sleep Apnea and there was no way that I could take a deep breath during my episodes. I realized that I was breathing but was paralyzed and during these episodes my oxygen levels dropped to the point of causing brain damage. I was told this was a dangerous state and I have been using a CPAP machine which stopped it from happening. Anyone having this symptom should have a sleep study to determine the cause.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:59 AM   #6
    row7

row7 HB User

I get ASP(Awareness During Sleep Paralysis)
    There is no cure, so I wouldn't bother with an expensive MD.

Sleep Paralysis is normal and everyone gets it. It's your body's natural method of helping as you either go into or come out of the REM sleep stage. Without it people would act out dreams and maybe end up running all over the house.
    The difference here is you are aware of the Paralysis.
    What you have is Awareness during Sleep Paralysis.

Things that help for me are:
    1. Turn over. You didn't mention in your post, but ASP usualy occurs when lying on your back(supine position) If that's your case, try to sleep on your side.

2. Reduce stress. Easier said than done, but that is the cause. In times of intense stress I don't even bother going to sleep because I know there'll be several ASP episodes.

3. Keep a regular sleep schedule. Part of ASP is a disruption to your body's natural rhythm. If you nap a lot, or pull all-nighters, your body gets out of whack.

4. Go with it. When it happens try to relax and tell yourself, "It's just ASP, it's just ASP..." This can either wake you up, or send you into an Out of Body Experience(OBE). Either one is a good thing.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-15-2004 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Note the username change and read the Posting Rules, please.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by row7
    I get ASP(Awareness During Sleep Paralysis)
    There is no cure, so I wouldn't bother with an expensive MD.

Sleep Paralysis is normal and everyone gets it. It's your body's natural method of helping as you either go into or come out of the REM sleep stage. Without it people would act out dreams and maybe end up running all over the house.
    The difference here is you are aware of the Paralysis.

It is true that there is no CURE for sleep paralysis, but there are several effective TREATMENTS available that can eliminate or reduce the number of episodes. The presence of other (untreated) sleep disorders can also affect the number and type of episodes.

It is normal to be "paralyzed" during sleep as you say, but that is just the body's method of keeping you from moving around an hurting yourself while sleeping. It is not normal to have these episodes where you are awake and aware, but still asleep and unable to move.

I agree with some of your tips for dealing with SP, especially #3. But as for #4, most people are not able to calm themselves during and episode. I do not really know the science behind why this is.

Closed Thread