It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Anybody give up on CPAP?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
    jsta6

jsta6 HB User
    Anybody give up on CPAP?

Hello.

I have sleep apnea and I am thinking about getting a CPAP machine also.

I have already had the tonsil, adenoid, septum surgery, which barely did anthing.

I have only heard good things about CPAP.

So my question is, "is there anyone out there that did not benefit from it?"

Also, most of the time when I am sleeping, my nose gets stuffed up. I have already had the septum surgery, and I am on shots for allergies, and I have tried all of the sprays, (rhinocort, etc), but I still have stuffiness. Does anyone else have this same problem, and how do they resolve it when using the CPAP?

TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 04:57 AM   #2
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User
    Re: Anybody give up on CPAP?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsta6
    Hello.
    So my question is, "is there anyone out there that did not benefit from it?"

Also, most of the time when I am sleeping, my nose gets stuffed up. Does anyone else have this same problem, and how do they resolve it when using the CPAP?

TIA!

I have benefitted immensely from my CPAP, really I can't say enough good things. The only people I know who did not benefit are those who do NOT USE theirs, or who do not use it consistently. When I first got mine and talked to my respiratory therapist, he said that over half of his patients gave up on CPAP. This was very depressing to me and I was determined that I wasn't going to be one of them. The initial adjustment period can be long and difficult, but I am absolutely convinced that with persistance and enough trial and error, you can get through it.

Many people say they tried CPAP and it didn't do anything for them. But when you look a little deeper, they only tried it for a few weeks, or were never able to wear it the entire night. Of course it's not going to help then!

As for the stuffiness...it is possible that the CPAP can help resolve this. The air isn't just pressurized, it is also filtered, possibly removing the allergan. If not, you could always try a full face mask so you can breathe through your mouth.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
    Zoie97
    (female)

Zoie97 HB User

I have found my CPAP has actually helped my chronic sinus problems and allergies!!!!

" An insane person does not question their sanity"

Old 10-07-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
    2tiredmom
    (female)

2tiredmom HB User

I'm getting ready to try my cpap again. I didn't make a very good effort the first time around. I couldn't get of the feeling of claustrophobia with my old headgear. I know now that there is new less intrusive mask (nasalaire is one I'm going to try). I had the UP3 surgery 4 years ago with no positive results. I recently had another sleep study and am going to do the titration study in a few weeks. Good luck with your cpap!!

Old 10-08-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
    MayorG

MayorG HB User

I sleep like a baby with my cpap. Sometimes it gets a bit uncomfortable but you readjust! Use it and you will see many medical problems go away! My allergies as well as acid reflux and sinus probs have improved 150%! Best of luck!

Last edited by MayorG; 10-08-2004 at 09:17 AM.

Closed Thread