It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Insomnia for all my life! Anyone else like this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
    MissGooberLynn

MissGooberLynn HB User
    Question Insomnia for all my life! Anyone else like this?

Hello!
    I have had insomnia since I was 4 years old (I am now in my 20's. my parents said I had trouble sleeping before 4 too but the real problems started then) No, nothing tramatic happened to me, I wasn't abused, I had a wonderful childhood and I now have a wonderful young adulthood. I started taking over the counter sleeping pills (benadryl type stuff) when I was 14 because I would literally lay in bed for 5 hours before I would fall asleep (which is bad because we all know teenagers only get sleep about 6 hours a night) My doctors all said benadryl was safe and it was fine for me to take, but It never worked that well. I never abused it or anything. A couple years ago I got to the point where it didn't work at all...I was taking 6-7 benadryl or more and still not sleeping. Then I went on a prescription sleep aid and I finally can sleep now!!! But without it, I will lay in bed for up to 9 or 10 hours and not fall asleep. (i will eventually fall asleep for a while later).Does anyone else have experiences like this? Has anyone been to a sleep clinic and did you find out if there is something chemical that causes this? Everyone always assumes you must be depressed or stressed or caffeinated if you can't sleep, but I am not. Just curious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Insomnia for all my life! Anyone else like this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissGooberLynn
    Hello!
    I have had insomnia since I was 4 years old (I am now in my 20's. my parents said I had trouble sleeping before 4 too but the real problems started then) No, nothing tramatic happened to me, I wasn't abused, I had a wonderful childhood and I now have a wonderful young adulthood. I started taking over the counter sleeping pills (benadryl type stuff) when I was 14 because I would literally lay in bed for 5 hours before I would fall asleep (which is bad because we all know teenagers only get sleep about 6 hours a night) My doctors all said benadryl was safe and it was fine for me to take, but It never worked that well. I never abused it or anything. A couple years ago I got to the point where it didn't work at all...I was taking 6-7 benadryl or more and still not sleeping. Then I went on a prescription sleep aid and I finally can sleep now!!! But without it, I will lay in bed for up to 9 or 10 hours and not fall asleep. (i will eventually fall asleep for a while later).Does anyone else have experiences like this? Has anyone been to a sleep clinic and did you find out if there is something chemical that causes this? Everyone always assumes you must be depressed or stressed or caffeinated if you can't sleep, but I am not. Just curious.
    From my experience, prescription sleeping pills that put you to sleep just end up making the problem worse. OTC are fine but are really not sleeping pills that will put you to sleep, but are only antihistamines, which have a tendency to promote sleep through the drowsiness side effect.

Regular exercise tends to promote sleep, as does tryptophan in the diet. Tryptophan comes from high quality proteins like dairy, meat and nuts; carbohydrates, vit. B6 and vitamin C help release tryptophan into serotonin. Now, serotonin itself is excitatory but it's metabolized by-product melantonin is what promotes sleep.

I'd try drinking more milk, balance the diet and vigorous exercise at minimum 4 times a week and see if that would help after awhile.

Closed Thread