It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• continually being jerked out of sleep...please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2005, 12:53 AM   #1
    lilbit17

lilbit17 HB User
    continually being jerked out of sleep...please help

Hey guys...I'm a little upset right now (it's 2:45 and I'm quite frustrated at my not being able to sleep or live,for that matter, like a normal person so bear with me please).

Lately, about 30 minutes after I fall alseep, I find myself waking up suddenly, as if I heard a noise or something, but nothing is there. (It's just the same effect on my body, it's like I'm startled awake). I've tried to become aware of whether or not I wake up gasping for breath but I can't really tell. My heart speeds up, and I think it might be that feeling that keeps waking me up. Anyways, this happens, over and over and over again for several hours until i guess my body gets too tired and just gives in to sleep. It's soooo frustrating. I first noticed it a few months ago, but it was during a stressful time in my life, so I just wrote it off to stress. Within this past month however its come back with a vengeance. It's getting to the point where I'm scared to go to sleep.

I have had some heart problems in the past (tachycardia, if any of you know what that is) so I'm worried its somehow heart-related.

I'm an otherwise healthy 19 year old female. I'm 5'0 and weigh about 120, if that helps any too. Any response would be greatly appreciated...I don't know where else to turn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User
    Re: continually being jerked out of sleep...please help

I thought I was the only one that this happened to. It has been happening to me for 5 weeks now every single night. If I doze off my body jolts me awake---like an adrenaline rush that causes my heart to pound. Now I have extreme insomnia, and can not fall asleep on my own at all. My doctor contributed it to anxiety and put me on Zoloft, but that does not seem to be helping.
    I hope that you get some more replies with help, becasue I could use it too. My doc is puzzled. I too have tachycardia with an at rest heart rate of over 100.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
    lilbit17

lilbit17 HB User

KayKay---do your arms feel weird when this happens? I think I've noticed that my arms feel particularly heavy. I called my cardiologist today and I'm going to try and go in to make sure everything with my heart is ok before I go talk to another doctor. I think I read that one of the side effects of zoloft is insomnia--so that could be making yours worse? (or I could have goten my info wrong, but anything is worth a check if it means sleep, right?)

Old 04-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User

Yes, Zoloft does cause Insomnia,(I'm weaing off after being on it for one month) but my doctor said it should have resolved by now. I havne't noticed my arms feeling heavy, but they have tingled and felt achey. I have been to the cardiologist and heart was fine, but he wants me to take a beta blocker Toprol to lower the heart rate.
    Good luck to you. Let me know what you find out when you go to the Cardio

Old 04-15-2005, 09:43 PM   #5
    lilbit17

lilbit17 HB User

I'm getting put back on Toprol too, but I'm not so sure I need it. He thinks that my chest pain is caused by the tachycardia...but I never really feel my heart beating fast. My resting heart rate is usually between 80 and 90...but of course when he takes it at the office its much higher than that. I go for another echocardiogram and my first stress test on tuesday. wish me luck. hopefully i'll be able to sleep tonight...

Old 04-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User

lilbit
    Did you sleep last night? Or were you up all night like me? Have you ever tried any sleep aids, they might work wonders for you even though nothing worked for me. I do take them everynight though to get 2 or 3 hrs. sleep.
    Good luck on your stress test and echo. I know you will be fine.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaykay5
    Yes, Zoloft does cause Insomnia,(I'm weaing off after being on it for one month) but my doctor said it should have resolved by now. I havne't noticed my arms feeling heavy, but they have tingled and felt achey. I have been to the cardiologist and heart was fine, but he wants me to take a beta blocker Toprol to lower the heart rate.
    Good luck to you. Let me know what you find out when you go to the Cardio
    Sleep is a funny thing. It can take a very long time to resolve itself, I don't believe in such timetables as your doc does. Why? Well, for one thing, I went though a terrible insomnia period that started with codiene given to me for a cold.

Apparentely I had a strong reaction/dependancy towards it and when it was gone I could not sleep. Of course, the answer to that from doctors was pills for sleep, which utimately caused the worst problems with sleep I could have ever imagined which included developing a tolerance to the effects of a decently large dose.

So, I finally got wise and off pills, but went through something called protracted benzo withdrawal syndrome. But that's not my point here.

My point is that your doctor has set a timetable for your sleep problem to have already been resolved. I had my doctor tell me the exact same thing. At 5 months off Ativan, I was sleeping around only 14 hours a week. Yep, that's protracted benzo withdrawal for you.

Anyway, she told me that at 5 months off, the problem should have been totally resolved. She went on to tell me I would not sleep anymore than I was then, that it would NOT improve and I needed medication to sleep more, whether it be Ativan again (even after tolerance? hello?) or maybe a sedating AD.

I respectfully declined the offer.

Well, my sleep, it DID improve over time, 14 hours a week turned into 20, 20 turned into 30, then 40, etc!! It was a very protracted recovery but I did improve.

So to me, there is no set timetable. It can resolve itself even if it takes months, or even years. Mine took years, which is not the norm, but it wasn't like I didn't sleep that whole time. Like I said, the hours increased slowly but they did increase. Giving into pills may just continue the dependancy cycles and prevent the brain from being able to straighten out it's natural instinct for sleep on it's own.

So, my doctor's timetable for sleep recovery did not prevent me from getting my natural, good sleep back....basically, in a nutshell, she was wrong...

Last edited by Jennita; 04-17-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
    lilbit17

lilbit17 HB User

kaykay--went back to the cardio, he told me everything looked fine, my heart rate was up a little bit so i'm going back on toprol. what bothers me is that he wrote off the waking up in the middle of the night thing to heart palpitations..just caused by a fast heart rate and i really dont think thats what it is. he also didn't really connect my fast heart rate to the pain i've been feeling under my left breast (almost in my rib cage?) so i'm not too happy. He did reassure me that nothing was structurally wrong with my heart though.

As for my sleep, it actually hasn't been too bad these past few days...the waking up in the middle of the night repetitively seems to only happen for a few nights at a time (knock on wood). so for now, im back on toprol, praying for sleep, and hoping this chest/back pain is a musco-skeletal problem.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User

I experience the exact same thing sometimes. I will be in a deep sleep and all of a sudden I will be jerked right out of my sleep. My heart is racing when this happens. Would be interested to know what causes this?

Old 04-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #10
    katidid95
    Veteran
    (female)

katidid95 HB User

I've been looking all over the boards (Heart, Thyroid, Panic) to find symptoms similar to mine. About 2 weeks ago after being awakened by a phone call and then trying to go back to sleep, I experienced a similar sensation with the feeling of adrenaline running through my upper body and HR going up. I had several episodes within an hour with my HR staying at around 90-100 inbetween (normally it's 65). Went to the ER, but they found nothing out of the ordinary. I had a few days/nights of feeling normal, then it started again and I've had it every night to where I can't sleep. It starts before I go to sleep, but when I start to drift off it seems to flair up. I have done some preliminary tests with a cardio and have an echocardiogram set up and another halter/monitor, plus other blood/urine tests to rule out heart disease and benign tumor on my adrenal gland (I'm only 46!). I'm scared to death and just don't know what to think! Both the cardio and my GP did not think it was panic attacks - only a slight possibility. I'm interested to see what anyone finds with their Dr's. (I also get cold and chest/upper back tightness and stomach aches)

Old 04-25-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
    twblondie
    (female)

twblondie HB User

Hi guys!

I'm not good at sleeping and I actually suffer from sleep paralysis too.

I used to get this all the time and I think it was a panick thing for me, like I was too scared to relax and go to sleep.

My body just kept jolting me awake and it used to happen mostly on a Sunday night when I had work on a Monday. I wondered whether it was to do withthe anxiousness of work but it used to really affect me so I understand what you mean. There is nothing more frustrating than feeling tired. My problem has now turned in to sleep paralysis and I'm also feeling like you - upset and tired coz you cant sleep!

I just wanted to say that I know how you are feeling and I hope you sort it out soon coz you are not alone! xx

Old 05-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #12
    lilbit17

lilbit17 HB User

KayKay, Katidid---any luck in figuring this thing out? It's back for me...it seems to happen a few nights at a time. Someone put it well when they said its like adrenaline rushing through my chest area....sometimes it feels like I need to take a breath, like my brain forgot to tell myself to breath. Really strange...

and FRUSTRATING!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #13
    twblondie
    (female)

twblondie HB User

Further to my previous post. I dont seem to get this anymore (touch wood) well I havent for a while anyway. BUT I do exercise every single day for about 1 1/2 hours and so I'm so tired when I sleep that I am really relaxed. I think exercise must be the key !

Closed Thread