It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Constantly waking up 1 hour before my alarm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
    rvx290
    (male)

rvx290 HB User
    Constantly waking up 1 hour before my alarm

I have been having this very annoying problem for the past couple months, Ever since I started my new job where I start work at 6:30am, my alarm is set for 6:00 but I have been waking up around 5am basically every day & it bothers the hell out of me because I then cannot get back to sleep & if I do get back to sleep its after lying there, restless for about 45 minutes & then my alarm goes off 15 minutes later & I feel even more tired. I dont know whether its the stress from disliking this new job, that I recently moved across the country, or that Ive never really had to work this early in the morning before, but its so frustrating when I am tired at work every day because of it, Any idears?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
    rvx290
    (male)

rvx290 HB User
    Re: Constantly waking up 1 hour before my alarm

...forgot to mention, could this perhaps have anything to do with it, Usually for the first few months at a job, I set 2 alarms (no more than five minutes apart.) my radio alarm & my "old faithful" watch alarm incase the power goes out, I havent had a watch for quite a while & only been relying on my radio, Could perhaps my internal clock be trying to play it safe because deep down I am worried the power is going to go out I will be late for work? just an idea.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
    Mattm4000
    Inactive
    (male)

Mattm4000 HB User

Hi
    You mentioned that you just started a new job. It might just be that because your job is new and stuff that maybe your just afraid of overlseeping and being late for work so your a bit anxious about waking up on time and thats what might be happening here. You also mentioned that you have just moved. Moving and starting a new job are two stressful events and might even be more stressful then you realize. Early morning wakening is usually one of the biggest symptoms of depression. I'm not saying that you suffer from depression necessarily but what happens is that people who have alot on their mind tend to dream alot at night. Dreaming is actually a very tiring process and its what we call REM sleep which is not deep sleep. Its actually a very active state of sleep. What happens is that your body wakes up early in the morning because its trying to give itself a break from all the dreaming. Even if you dont remember dreaming, most people dont even remember most of their dreams in the morning anyway so its very possible that you do dream alot at night and not even realize it. Anyway,hope this helps. Matt.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:29 AM   #4
    rvx290
    (male)

rvx290 HB User

Thanks matt, that sounds pretty accurate & about the dreaming... yes, for the past couple months I have been having really crazy dreams, kinda funny because just last night I had the worst one in a long time, & I remember it clearly, there was a huge tornado at the farm I grew up on & it wrecked everything & then my car got hijacked, then I woke up at about 445 & couldnt (didnt even really want to) get back to sleep. Would be nice to get a peaceful nights sleep sometime soon.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
    Nixona
    (male)

Nixona HB User

Turn around any clocks in the bedroom and take down or move anything you might see on the way to the bathroom. The exact same thing used to happen to me, I asked my sleep doctor about it and she said it sometimes is just a rhythm we pick up and perputuate by watching the clock. She said it sounds like fooey, but give it a shot and see what happens. I took down the clock on the hallway and faced my alarm towards the wall, haven't had a problem since. Just my 2 cents...

Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
    emily230
    (female)

emily230 HB User

hi,
    i do that sometimes too... it gets to be a tough pattern to break. i tried lunesta sleeping pills, 2 mg for a few nights, worked for me.

could be stress of new job, time change, (are you waking up at old time?), depression, as someone else suggested. maybe talking to a counselor would help with your stress, anxiety, and could also appraise the depression situation?
    good luck!
    Emily

Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
    rvx290
    (male)

rvx290 HB User

Just an update here, I tried everything mentioned, turn the clock, sleeping pills, nothing has changed, for some really weird reason I keep waking up around 5:20 am EVERY morning, it wont matter what time I go to bed (unless perhaps its a rough weekend & I dont get to bed until 3am & I am intoxicated) other than that, every single morning I am waking up @ about 5:20 & I just cant understand it, only thing I havent tried is a counciler (best I can afford is to talk to my girlfriend about it & she is just as confused by it as I am) if anyone could suggest anything else I would really appreciate it. Ps I also tried to work WITH it, by going to bed around 930 or 10 pm, but I cant get to sleep until I am tired which is about 1030 or 11 usually.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
    lharmon37
    Inactive
    (female)

lharmon37 HB User

It does sound like you are anxious about your new job, and not used to getting up that early. Maybe you should try to go to bed a bit earlier take a over the counter medicine Tylonel PM read a book, try to shut your mind off about the next day.

Closed Thread