It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Unable To Fall A Sleep....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User
    Unable To Fall A Sleep....

Everyday I have to take something for sleeping or I wont sleep. I noticed certain medications work good then lose it's effect but I never raise the dose because I am scared of how I am going to feel when I wake up.
    What causes people not to sleep? Sometimes I fell very tired but when it comes time to sleep my eyes wont close. I am not sure what I am thinking or if thinking anything at all. Are there other solutions besides medication?
    There are times I will go without sleep for three days and throughout the day is hell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
    amright
    (male)

amright HB User
    Re: Unable To Fall A Sleep....

I think it depends on your night's activities. If u think/worry too much at night, your brain will continue to work when u go to bed. Try to relaxed yourself like reading magazines while listening to classical music. It works for me. You shouldn't do anything that makes you concentrate too much at night.

Good lucks,

Amright

Old 07-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
    meatball
    (female)

meatball HB User

I sometimes get bad insomnia too, and I hate having to rely on meds to fall asleep. I have noticed that the more I am "thinking" that I can't sleep, the more I will stress myself out and the more awake I will be. Sometimes you just have to wait until your body is tired enough (which eventually it will be) and you will fall asleep.

Try reading a boring book if possible and try not to hang out on your bed if you are not sleeping on it. Hang out in a different room if possible.. hope you catch some zzzzz's soon, good luck.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
    lharmon37
    Inactive
    (female)

lharmon37 HB User

How long does it take you to finally get to sleep when you go to bed?
    Are you taking over the counter pills like unisom, sominex others? And if so how long have you been taking these to help you sleep? You could have Insomnia problems and may need to see your Doctor for a presciption, something that you cannot buy over the counter. Sleep is important not getting enough can make you irritable
    in the day and loose concentration on simple everyday things.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I am not sure if I am thinking about anything at all. All I know I sometimes get a burst of energy at night, it's like I dont want the day to end. I also noticed I dont know how to relax. I have been having sleeping issues for years and the doctors do give me meds but they stop working.
    As for reading I have tried that as well but it's a no go. I try to go to sleep around 10-11pm but I start to feel tired around 5am or 6 am. I have to be at work at 8:30 so its hard.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
    lharmon37
    Inactive
    (female)

lharmon37 HB User

What kinds of meds have the Doctors given you? I have extreme anxiety with restless leg sydrome, and I cannot shut the brain off for sleep. ambien worked for a while and others. But I belief it was the anxious feelings and the mind would not shut off. That I found a sleep clinic online in my area made the call. And finally prescibed the right meds for me. Which is clonazapam 1mg and ropinirole for the restless legs. And I have had good sleep for almost 2 weeks now, that I hadn't had in over 15 yrs!!!!! I hope you find help for your sleep disorder. Because your body and mind need sleep to function and feel good!!!

Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I was taking the Clonapen but it stopped working. They gave me so much stuff that caused trouble. I am actually using ambien now but the doctor does not want me to because of memory loss side effects.
    Have you ever heard of PTSD? I think thats what I suffer from, I always worry that someone will break in or somethin like that and I want to be alert when it happened. When the sun rises I can then fall a sleep...weird huah?
    For me it's always been fight or flight..wonder what can I do about this? I have already told my doc.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:23 AM   #8
    lharmon37
    Inactive
    (female)

lharmon37 HB User

PTSD is that Post Traumatic sleep disorder or syndrome? What does your Doctor suggest for you know? Is he a sleep Doc? I am starting to wonder if the clonazepam is working for me anymore. I took it and 2 hours I am up, and I am up on this computer.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 AM   #9
    Newsome
    (female)

Newsome HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meatball
    I sometimes get bad insomnia too, and I hate having to rely on meds to fall asleep. I have noticed that the more I am "thinking" that I can't sleep, the more I will stress myself out and the more awake I will be. Sometimes you just have to wait until your body is tired enough (which eventually it will be) and you will fall asleep.

Try reading a boring book if possible and try not to hang out on your bed if you are not sleeping on it. Hang out in a different room if possible.. hope you catch some zzzzz's soon, good luck.
    Yeah, that's the whole battle right there. We think about sleep (or lack there of) constantly. We begin to fear not being able to sleep and therefore cannot relax. Scared we're going to become psychotic from no sleep. A vicious circle. I know that's why I'm up watching Star Trek and the new BSG at six o'clock in the morning.. That and an unusually bad night eith my RLS. I recently bought some art supplies and things. Quiet things I can do to pass the time. But I'm too freaked out about not sleeping to do them or to even concentrate on my shows! The programs make nice company though. I have all my clocks blocked and I can close the one on the computer so I don't count the hours. I put foil on my bedroom window so I won't keep looking to see how light it's getting. I swear I'd sit up all night just waiting to see if it was getting light yet. Of course, I've been sitting up all night for the last few nights.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I really am not sure why I cant get my sleep cycle straight without meds. When I talk to my doctor about submitting me to a sleep clinic they said I have to try several meds before they can place me into a clinic. The docs first said I was depressed then bipolar, PTSD and none of those meds help me but make me more insane I feel. The Ambien was making very violent the following day just snapping away, the seroquel made me very fat and now the lithium is retaining water on my face. All of this just for sleep. To many doctors quick to diagnose someone with a problem they feel exist but in reality does not exist, they need to take the time to find out the root cause.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 AM   #11
    alsaser
    (female)

alsaser HB User
    Unhappy Re: Unable To Fall A Sleep....

I'm right there with ya. Can't sleep. I just lay there, toss and turn. I've tried it all, reading, praying, tv, no tv, exercise, no exercise, smoking, no smoking, eating, not eating, getting up and doing something else for a while, hot shower, no shower, etc. Sleeping pills don't work much for me, but I rarely take them now cause i don't want to be addicted. But it doesn't matter, I can't sleep anyway. Its torture!, its boring. I DREAD DREAD DREAD bedtime. I usually lie awake for 1-4 hrs. The minimum amount of time I can ever fall asleep is 30 min. (if i'm really lucky), that's been my pattern since I was a kid, always the last to sleep at sleepovers, still awake when my parents went to bed, never could get to sleep.
    I should be going to bed now, its 12:48 am, but I'm wide awake and I'll probably be wide awake 'til 5 am, thats how its been for a while now. The weather is hot and humid so I turn the fan on, an hour later I'm cold, than I get hot again, than I'm thirsty, another hour and I'm hungry, than I'm thirsty again, and I lay and I lay and sleep ain't a-comin' my way ((

Old 07-19-2005, 07:37 PM   #12
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I feel your pain!
    I have no choice but to take pills or I will end up in the hospital again from lack of sleep. The say life is a b**** and then you die but for people like us we go through our day half dead anyways. I always wonder what went wrong that caused myself to have this issue.
    If anyone knows of something that helps please respond asap.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #13
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User

I am right there with you---unable to fall asleep without some sort of sleep med and them unable to stay asleep for more than an hour. So frustrating to lay in bed for hours on end trying to get some sleep.
    I hear there is two new sleep meds coming out in the next year---Indiplon and Rozerem. We can hope and pray that one of them will work. Lunesta didn't. (at least not for me, but then nothing has worked for me yet)

Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
    sheltiehouse
    (female)

sheltiehouse HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Unable To Fall A Sleep....

I just came across this by accident. I wonder if this is what a lot of us have... It's called "Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome."

http://www.sleepdisorderchannel.net/dsps/

Old 07-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #15
    sheltiehouse
    (female)

sheltiehouse HB User

P.S.

For about 3 months I slept without any "drugs" by taking 5-HTP (you can but it at Walmart or any health food store) and St John's Wort. I took 1 St John's Wort Pill per day but took 2 of the 5 HTP. I noticed if I took the S.J.W. but forgot the 5HTP sleeping was worse, so it must have been the 5HTP that was actually helping more than the S.J.W. I don't remember the dosage. Maybe you might want to try it. It was the only "natural" thing I tried that worked at all. Valarian, Chammomile, Kava Kava, and Melatonin each work for 1 night maybe then stop working.

Then my Dr. put me on Klonopin for dizziness so I take that - which works well for a couple weeks/2 months then I have to back off, take Ambien or something for a week and then try again with the Klonopin because it stops working as well for sleep but leaves me feeling groggy all day but un rested.

Chel

Closed Thread