It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Long term sleep meds? Lunesta problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
    Bilbo
    Veteran
    (male)

Bilbo HB User
    Long term sleep meds? Lunesta problems

Hi y'all

Im new to this section of Health Boards but have spent a lot of time over at the Pain Management section. Im looking for information on long term sleep meds. I have used Ambien in the past, with great success, but as we all know, its a short term med.

I currently am taking 3mg Lunesta and it just doesnt agree with me. Im not sure if its just interactions with my other meds (Oxycontin, Norco, Klonopin and Cymbalta) or if it just isnt for me. It gives me headaches, hangovers and leaves me in a dark mood the next day. Guess in some regards thats better than not sleeping at all which is truely the alternative.

I have two issue working against me. Since I can remember I have been a "Night Owl". Doesnt matter what time I get up in the morning or how diligent I am in trying to establish a sleep pattern, when nightime comes, I wake up. In addition to that, I am in the middle of a very nasty battle with severe neck, upper back and shoulder pain. When I say severe I mean 7-8/10 on the pain scale. I am often woken up at night by severe pain and once awake there is no chance of me getting back to sleep.

So, does anyone have a magic bullet here in terms of a great sleep aid that can be taken long term without serious side effects? Perhaps a lower does Lunesta? Anyone had success with Ambien for long term use? Any other med? Believe me, I have tried every conservative practice to improve sleep performance.

I will be talking to my Dr soon about increasing my pain meds to provide overnite pain relief. I seem to be one who only gets 5-6 hours of relief out of the 12 hr Oxycontin and that is the problem. Pain relief runs out and I am forced awake.

Thanks for any suggestions. Hope all here in this neck of the woods is doing well.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
    TNWalz
    (female)

TNWalz HB User
    Re: Long term sleep meds? Lunesta problems

Welcome to the late show. It gets lonely sometimes, doesn't it? However, in recent years, I've finally figured out that I do my best work when the rest of the world is resting. That's just how the good Lord made me, so I've quit fightingt it and now use those hours to advantage.

I, too, have been a night owl as long as I can remember. (My family tells me since birth) Even though I changed my habits and stay up late and work, I still need help falling asleep when my work is finished.

Ativan, for anti-anxiety, can sometimes help turn off your brain long enough for one to go to sleep.

I've used Ativan off and on for several years, usually taking only half a tablet. Then, once I was asleep, I would usually stay asleep about 5 hours. Then, that would be it for me!! A new day! My chief complaint about Ativan was building up a tolerance so that it lost its effectiveness. I had to taper off until I completely stopped; then, several months later, try it again. It was a vicious cycle.

I've tried Ambien, a 'hypnotic', and it works VERY WELL, but I feel drugged and trancelike before going to bed and sometimes the next morning. This happens with just half a pill. I only want to get a few hours of sleep; I didn't bargain for feeling 'weird'.

Another problem with the Ambien was my insurance company would only approve 14 per month because it is a 'controlled substance'. I needed to sleep EVERY night, so I was forced to take only half a tab.

I was recently introduced to Lunesta (I believe it is also a hypnotic) and so far, so good. It, too, gives me about a five hour stretch of good sleep and then, bingo, I'm up. So far, I haven't had that weird, trancelike feeling just before going to bed but I do feel a bit groggy most mornings. My insurance company allows me to have one of these every night, if I need.

I think one important factor to remember is to give yourself plenty of time between when you take these meds and when you need to be really alert and active again. For instance, don't take it at midnight if you have to get up and DRIVE to work at 6 a.m.

I've also changed my exercise schedule to late evenings instead of late mornings. This seems to have helped a little.

After I've given the Lunesta a fairer trial, I'll report back.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
    TNWalz
    (female)

TNWalz HB User

Hi y'all back!

By the way, Bilbo, which neck of the woods are you in? From where I sit, I look south and see the unique outline of Lookout Mountain - half of it in Tennessee - the other half in Georgia.

Yup... this is the South! And it's HOT !!

Bye, y'all!

Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
    Bilbo
    Veteran
    (male)

Bilbo HB User

Anyone else having problems today posting? I typed a long reply and hit post and got a server error. I tried again and all my text was gone....

In short, I too get the weird effects from Ambien. I dont mind them tho. It does help/make me sleep.

I live in Redding, Ca which is a little over a hour south of the Oregon border. Today it was 112*. Supposed to cool off this weekend.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNWalz
    Welcome to the late show. It gets lonely sometimes, doesn't it? However, in recent years, I've finally figured out that I do my best work when the rest of the world is resting. That's just how the good Lord made me, so I've quit fightingt it and now use those hours to advantage.

I, too, have been a night owl as long as I can remember. (My family tells me since birth) Even though I changed my habits and stay up late and work, I still need help falling asleep when my work is finished.

Ativan, for anti-anxiety, can sometimes help turn off your brain long enough for one to go to sleep.

I've used Ativan off and on for several years, usually taking only half a tablet. Then, once I was asleep, I would usually stay asleep about 5 hours. Then, that would be it for me!! A new day! My chief complaint about Ativan was building up a tolerance so that it lost its effectiveness. I had to taper off until I completely stopped; then, several months later, try it again. It was a vicious cycle.

I've tried Ambien, a 'hypnotic', and it works VERY WELL, but I feel drugged and trancelike before going to bed and sometimes the next morning. This happens with just half a pill. I only want to get a few hours of sleep; I didn't bargain for feeling 'weird'.

Another problem with the Ambien was my insurance company would only approve 14 per month because it is a 'controlled substance'. I needed to sleep EVERY night, so I was forced to take only half a tab.

I was recently introduced to Lunesta (I believe it is also a hypnotic) and so far, so good. It, too, gives me about a five hour stretch of good sleep and then, bingo, I'm up. So far, I haven't had that weird, trancelike feeling just before going to bed but I do feel a bit groggy most mornings. My insurance company allows me to have one of these every night, if I need.

I think one important factor to remember is to give yourself plenty of time between when you take these meds and when you need to be really alert and active again. For instance, don't take it at midnight if you have to get up and DRIVE to work at 6 a.m.

I've also changed my exercise schedule to late evenings instead of late mornings. This seems to have helped a little.

After I've given the Lunesta a fairer trial, I'll report back.

Last edited by Bilbo; 07-20-2005 at 08:50 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
    sheltiehouse
    (female)

sheltiehouse HB User

Hello,

I just found this board tonight. How WONDERFUL to see messages from people going through the same thing I've been going through. To give you the super short version: 2 years ago I was run off the road by another driver which caused my vechile to roll 5 times on the highway. My mother was a passenger and almost bled to death while they were cutting her out of the car. Thankfully she is better now though will never be her old self again.

I have been suffering with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and INSOMNIA. I jump "sky high" at the slightest noise - and the only way I can sleep at all at night is with SOME kind of drug (whether prescription or homeopathic), must have the fan on med or high to drown out noise. And I have to cover ALL my windows in the bedroom so the light does not wake me up at 5:30 AM. (By the way - aluminum foil block light WONDERFULY! Just get a piece or two and tape it to your windows - then put blinds or curtains over them and no one can see).

I've been on Ambien for 4 months in the past (left me feeling short of breath among other things) - now I only take it for "emergencies" and I'm on Klonopin at night for dizziness - but it doesn't always put you RIGHT to sleep so sometimes I take something else. I've taken Xanax(not bad I think - it's been awhile since I"ve taken), Desyrl (hangover, lightheadness next day), Ativin (caused depression, crying), Valium (caused shaking and is short lasting - I "pop" awake in 4 hours), Klonopin (nice, long lasting, causes eye pressure headaches though over time),

Then there is the other stuff: Zoloft (woa! talk about stimulating - sheesh - my brain wanted to tackle rocket science at 6 am - exaustion and all...might be good for a person that WANTS to sleep all day and needs an anti-depressant....oh yeah and my head felt like it was in a vice). Paxil (okay - but caused nausea, gas, etc and certainly did not induce sleep - tried this for 4 weeks), Remeron (okay this makes you sleep - YUP for like DAYS you want to sleep morning noon and night. NOT a good trade off for me.) Can we have a happy medium here please???

Then herbs, oh the herbs. Valarien - nice, works sometimes - leaves headache after a few days of use. Kava Kava (very nice calming drug - but it is a muscle relaxant so be careful as it will make your heart thump funny if you want to do anything but lay in bed). Sleeptime teas (i.e. passionflower, chammomile, chineese skullcap, etc) works okay, but lose strength after time. Melatonin (works but hurts my stomach horribly after 2 nights).

And it goes on. I had sucess for a short time - 2 months, with 2 standardized St. John's Wort Pills (herb) per day and 2 pills of 5-HTP (the kind you buy at Walmart in a purple box) and that worked pretty well - I was sleeping for awhile without anything else. Then something stressfull happened and one night I popped an Ambien - and I haven't been able to get back to sleeping good again.

I just want to be able to lie down and go to sleep. I find myself sitting up reading or on the computer simply because of the fear that when I lie down I WON"T sleep and I will feel so tired the next day if I don't get at least 6.5 hours. I think I have a phobia of not sleeping - and I see others on here saying the same sort of things. I've been seeing a psychologist (because that's what all the other doctors said to do!) and he's been nice - but he's never had insomnia so I can see he's just totally confused when I say I can't sleep. No one but other people who have suffered from insomnia understand. You just can't understand it until you have gone through it.

Anyway, sorry for the long message but just wanted to say hi and vent a little.

Chel

Old 07-21-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
    TNWalz
    (female)

TNWalz HB User

I think we insomniacs should form our own 'night club' since we're the only ones up, don't you?

You are SO right, Sheltie. Those who sleep simply don't have a clue.

So sorry about your accident and mom and that you are now left with this.

You are a walking encyclopedia for sleep meds. I had no idea there were so many. I'm printing your reply to keep as a handy reference!

Hope you get some sleep soon.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
    Bilbo
    Veteran
    (male)

Bilbo HB User

Yep SheltieHouse, there are lots of us out there. My problem has been with me my entire life. I have done the tin foil trick since I was 10. Mom and Dad didnt like it but they got over it. I too have always needed some sort of drowning out noise like a fan. What is really bizaare and I know it must be in my head but I cant stand to have the alarm clock facing me. I swear I can see the light of the numbers with my eyes closed. Must just have thin eyelids

While shopping at Brookstone (specialty item store, cant give you the link as its not allowed) I found the perfect sleep mask. Its made out ofTempur-pedic and its padded just right so it blocks out all the light. I thought it would make me sweat but doesnt even come close. Its not very bulky so its easy to get used too. I find it to be the single best sleep aid, other than perscription meds, out there.

My Dr just put me on an older med called Temazepam (Restoril) and I have only taken it once which was last nite and it worked well. No side effects yet.

By the way, most of the meds you listed are anti-anxiety or anti-depressant meds, not sleep meds. Not trying to correct you. Just thought it should be noted. Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan and Valium are anti-anxiety meds. Most of these have drowsiness as a side effect but they are not usually given for sleeping disorders unless regular sleep meds dont work or have side effects that cant be tolerated.

Remeron, Desryl, Paxil and Zoloft are anti depressents and they sometimes can make you sleepy but, also, are not prescribed for sleep. I too get all wired up on Zoloft, so much that I couldnt take it at all, even in the morning.

I have used both Valerian Root and Melatonin. I got nothing out of Valerian Root but Melatonin works well for me for a few days and it must be good quality. Get it from a health food store and not the Supermarket.

Kava Kava and St Johns wort also fall into the anti axiety/muscle relaxer realm but have sleep aid properties.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I have taken Ambien before and it worked but the next day I was snapping at everyone and very angery. There is a medication out there that works very good called Trazadone. I have taken it but it's to strong for me, I feel very tired the next day but who is to say it wont work for you. Also The doctor gave me Seroquel which also helps with sleep but beware of weight gain. Those anxiety medications such as klonopin and ativan stop working after a while like ambiem does and ambien causes amnesia and speech problems with long term use because thats what I suffer from now thanks to ambien.
    If you want to go natural try vallaren root (cant spell it sorry)
    All I have for ya is Trazadone, it will knock you out...lol, seroquel and stay away from that ambien
    I have an appoint ment tomorrow with my doc, I am going to bring up Lunesta and thanks for helping me out with this info. Whatever I find out I will pass it on.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #9
    VegasInsomniac
    (male)

VegasInsomniac HB User

What kind of speech problems can Ambien cause with long-term use? Has anyone else heard of this?

Old 07-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
    Bilbo
    Veteran
    (male)

Bilbo HB User

I have had speech problems with short term use but only after I have taken it and before I went to sleep. Its kind of funny when your words dont come out quite like you heard them in your head. I wouldnt equate it to a "drunken slur" as its different because you dont have all the other effects of being "drunk". When it happens, my Wife just points to the bedroom and says "GO". I do and promptly fall asleep. I would guess that Ambien works on part of the brain that is associated with or close to the part that deals with speech. Im not a Dr so dont quote me.

There is little info on Ambien and speech problems (google/yahoo search) when using long term because its not a long term med. Ambien is stricktly regarded as a short term sleep solution. This is party due to the fact that tolerance is quick and dependence is common. I asked my Dr about long term ambien use and he wouldnt do it and said that, as far as he knows, it isnt prescribed that way. Now I am sure it is and he was just trying to placate me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VegasInsomniac
    What kind of speech problems can Ambien cause with long-term use? Has anyone else heard of this?

Closed Thread