It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Wake Up Gasping For Air

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
    christopher456
    (male)

christopher456 HB User
    Wake Up Gasping For Air

every single night for about the last 8 months to a 1 yr everytime that i am trying to fall asleep....just as i think i fall into the sleep i wake up gasping for air....it's very wierd....i lay down tired....and like when i wake up gasping for air i always forget where i am....it's as if i fall asleep for 1 second and i wake up gasping for air....it usually only happens once....but sometimes it happens like 3 or 4 times before i actually fall asleep.....i used to sometimes get this while trying to fall asleep during the day for a nap or something.....but never this frequent....it's almost every single night....i would say atleast 5 days a week....i dont know what it is....i dont know if i should be worried about nething....hopefully someone here has some kind of answers....maybe some1 has experienced this.....i would appreciate any replies....thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
    sivyaleah
    (female)

sivyaleah HB User
    Re: Wake Up Gasping For Air

Christopher, do you happen to be overweight? You may be suffering from sleep apnea. My husband suffers from it, and while I wouldn't call him a large man, he definately has more weight on him than he should, and also has a rather large neck area. It used to be worse, he'd wake up gasping for breath and would stop breathing many times while sleeping, and snored like crazy. Still does. He was supposed to have a sleep study, but he's lazy about going :-(
    He uses "Snore Strips" every night - they seem to help him most nights. But sleep apnea can be very problematic for several reasons. Try talking to your doctor about it. Don't let it go on - you've been suffering long enough.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
    bailout
    (male)

bailout HB User

sleep apnea in that degree can be deadly, you really should get yourself a sleep study. I have been on a CPAP machine for about a year and it has turned things around a lot.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
    christopher456
    (male)

christopher456 HB User

well im 5'9 and 195 pounds 21 yrs old so i would say im like 20 pounds overweight....but the thing is it only happens right when im fallin asleep....only once a night most times....and it's right when im trying to fall asleep does that really sound like sleep apnea....i have no idea if i snore or not...i sleep in my own room and no1 has ever said nethign to me about it but thanx for the replies guys i will get that checked out

Old 09-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
    vo-5
    (female)

vo-5 HB User

Sleep apnea can happen in skinny people too, not just overweight people

Old 09-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #6
    alsaser
    (female)

alsaser HB User

Is it like a choking/gasping for air? I had that many times and I'm very skinny and in good health. I haven't had it for a long time now, but I used to get it alot.

Closed Thread