It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Has Anyone Tried Restoril Or Know Its Efficacy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
    WCRT5G
    (male)

WCRT5G HB User
    Exclamation Has Anyone Tried Restoril Or Know Its Efficacy?

Lately, I Have Had Sleeplessness (insomnia) Really Bad Because Of A Irregular Work Schedule And Anxiety For One Reason Or Another. In The Last 2 Weeks, I Slept 1 Hour A Night And Feel Horrible And Deprived. I Am ****** And Frustrated!!

I Went To An Internist/pharmacist Who Prescribed Me 15 Mg Capsules Of Temazepam (restoril) For Sleep Problems And 0.5 Mg Of Ativan To Assist In Anxiety Here And There.

Does Anyone Know About Restoril And If It Works? Never Heard Of It. I Was Wondering How It Compares To Ambien Or Lunesta Or If Those Are The Same, Better, Or Worse.

Thanks,

Tyler

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
    Wed Thai Girl
    (female)

Wed Thai Girl HB User
    Re: Has Anyone Tried Restoril Or Know Its Efficacy?

My doctor put me on Restoril (15 mg.) and it helped the first few nights. Then, I became tolerant very quickly then I bumped it up to 30 mgs. It does work but it's not meant to be used for more than a week or two. I'm taking Ambien (10 mgs) and the first night helped me with a full night's sleep then after that I wake up after 3 hours. I think the Ambien CR (extended release) might work better, but again, not to be used more than a couple of weeks because most people build up a tolerance and then you need a higher dose.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
    paborn
    (male)

paborn HB User

Try Lunesta. I have been using for over a month while my shoulder surgery is healing, and it works great!

Old 02-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WCRT5G
    Lately, I Have Had Sleeplessness (insomnia) Really Bad Because Of A Irregular Work Schedule And Anxiety For One Reason Or Another. In The Last 2 Weeks, I Slept 1 Hour A Night And Feel Horrible And Deprived. I Am ****** And Frustrated!!

I Went To An Internist/pharmacist Who Prescribed Me 15 Mg Capsules Of Temazepam (restoril) For Sleep Problems And 0.5 Mg Of Ativan To Assist In Anxiety Here And There.

Does Anyone Know About Restoril And If It Works? Never Heard Of It. I Was Wondering How It Compares To Ambien Or Lunesta Or If Those Are The Same, Better, Or Worse.

Thanks,

Tyler
    Sleeping pills won't work for very long and will impair the brains own sleep chemicals, creating a vicious cycle of dependancy and tolerance. Maybe time to look for a job with better hours or perhaps in time your brain will re-adjust to a more conforming pattern to your lifestyle.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
    diva_dynamite
    (female)

diva_dynamite HB User

My doctor switched me to temazepam from regular ambien just about a week ago. I had been on ambien for about a month, and called my doctor to suggest moving to Plan B because I couldn't stand waking up a thousand times a night, and being depressed and stretched to my limits every day. He told me to try temazepam for a week and call him back. Nights 1 and 2 - I didn't notice any difference. Gradually, I noticed that I wasn't waking as many times a night, but towards the end of this 1st week, I hit the weekend, and some scheduled days off from work. I'm able to stay in bed longer, so I don't know if it's the pill or the extra time in bed that's making me slightly less sleepy during the day. One thing I really notice these last few days, though, is how utterly depressed I feel. I'm not taking any kind of AD med, though I asked my doctor if I could. I just seem to focus on every failure in my life, and absolutely nothing makes me feel better. I have seen that depression can be a side-effect of the benzodiazopenes (sp?), and that temazepam shouldn't be given to depressed people. Has anyone else had this happen on temazepam? Since I'm noticing a very slight improvement in my sleep, I'd give this a little more of a chance if I knew it wasn't the cause of my depressed feelings.
    BTW, I also tried ambien cr - I didn't wake up as many times at night with that, either, but boy!, did I have a hangover in the morning! I absolutely could not take it on a work night.
    Thanks.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
    young momma
    Veteran
    (female)

young momma HB User

Restoril is a benzodiazopene. It is a very strong benzo. It's main use is to try to put you back on a normal sleeping schedule. You can become dependent on it very quickly. That is why it is on a short term basis. Research shows that lunesta is the best sleep aid so far. Most of them are for short term use. I have been doing lots of research on sleep aids. I have had problems sleeping for awhile but I hate to take meds for anything. There were several websites that shows the pros and cons.

Closed Thread