It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Sleep Apnea and Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User
    Sleep Apnea and Surgery

Hi, I went to an ENT for snoring and after a sleep study I have found that I have severe sleep apnea. I'm on a CPAP machine but am not doing well because I find it uncomfortable and keep trying to take it off and I also like to lay on my side but towards my stomach a bit and it pushes the CPAP off a bit causing air to blow on my face.

I saw the ENT with hopes that a surgery or other procedure can be done to avoid a CPAP machine and I still feel this way. The doctor wanted to first wait and try to get the CPAP working better but when I told him that I have trouble breathing through my nose during the day also, they said they will go ahead and do the septoplasty since I have a deviated septum. As well they are doing a turbinectomy, which I guess is to widen your nasal passages. He also spoke of doing a tonsilectomy and something to do with my tongue and throat but can only do so much in one surgery so they would see how this does first and then try the rest if needed. I was really dissapointed because I wanted to get all surgery done at once to avoid multiple surgeries.

My question is, he didn't mention Adeniods at all and I read that can be a factor as well. Is there any reason why he may not have mentioned them? And if he is going to work on my septum already could he do adenoids at the same time or is it better to do those at the same time as tonsils as they are done with children? My son had sleep apnea too but he is 5. The solution for him was to take out his tonsils and adenoids and it was a complete success for him. I'm going to the same doctor but he didnt mention the adeniods and just wondering if there's a reason why.

Also does anyone have any comments or experiences with septoplasty or turbinectomy?

Thanks,

Neofree

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
    WhyIsThisMyLife
    (female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User
    Re: Sleep Apnea and Surgery

Actually adnoids regress as we get older and often times adults don't have them. Adnoids are a factor a lot with children and sleep apnea though. I hope you do recover from that. It is a debilitating condition. I had it for two years and could not get used to the CPAP. I ended up having weight loss surgery. I was symptom free after I lost the first 25 pounds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neofree
    Hi, I went to an ENT for snoring and after a sleep study I have found that I have severe sleep apnea. I'm on a CPAP machine but am not doing well because I find it uncomfortable and keep trying to take it off and I also like to lay on my side but towards my stomach a bit and it pushes the CPAP off a bit causing air to blow on my face.

I saw the ENT with hopes that a surgery or other procedure can be done to avoid a CPAP machine and I still feel this way. The doctor wanted to first wait and try to get the CPAP working better but when I told him that I have trouble breathing through my nose during the day also, they said they will go ahead and do the septoplasty since I have a deviated septum. As well they are doing a turbinectomy, which I guess is to widen your nasal passages. He also spoke of doing a tonsilectomy and something to do with my tongue and throat but can only do so much in one surgery so they would see how this does first and then try the rest if needed. I was really dissapointed because I wanted to get all surgery done at once to avoid multiple surgeries.

My question is, he didn't mention Adeniods at all and I read that can be a factor as well. Is there any reason why he may not have mentioned them? And if he is going to work on my septum already could he do adenoids at the same time or is it better to do those at the same time as tonsils as they are done with children? My son had sleep apnea too but he is 5. The solution for him was to take out his tonsils and adenoids and it was a complete success for him. I'm going to the same doctor but he didnt mention the adeniods and just wondering if there's a reason why.

Also does anyone have any comments or experiences with septoplasty or turbinectomy?

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

Well I am scheduled for septoplasty/turbinectomy as I have about 75% blockage in one nostril. I think I am going to back off on additional surgeries untill I loose all my weight. Now I am really not that overweight, I am 230lbs, 5'8".. but a lot has collected in my neck and chin and could defintely be a factor. Then I will pursue more if needed. Thanks for clarifying that!

Old 02-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
    anxiouslady
    (female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Neofree.
    Sorry to hear about your apnea troubles. Whyisthismylife is right about why adnoids are a big factor in kiddos and not us adults.
    C-pap is hard to get adjusted to. If you are tearing the mask off at night it could be that your pressure isn't right. If you neck and chin area are heavy then that is a definite factor with the apnea. I had the same problem with adjustment because I have always been a stomach/side sleeper. I still am with the c-pap. Just use pillows to prop myself so that the mask stays in a good position.
    As far as the trouble breathing through your nose, did they have you try a full face mask?
    anxiouslady

Old 02-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

No. This is all still very new to me. I'm going to a clinic soon to try different masks and pressures.

Although I'm beginning to accept the idea that I may need CPAP long term I am still not opposed to surgery. I am willing to go through any amount of pain to get this corrected, just as long as the surgery has a good chance of helping. Again, I will give weight loss a try first before having more then this initial surgery, but I don't see how weight loss can correct a deviated septum or narrow nasal passages! I'm looking forward to being able to breath better at day too!

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
    lagitane
    (female)

lagitane HB User

I have sleep apnea and nasal congestion. Prior to the sleep apnea diagnosis my otolaryngologist performed coblation on my turbinates (puncturing them to relieve sinus congestion). It is not surgery per se, but it relieved my nasal stuffiness immensely. You might investigate this option for starters.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

Already set for surgery in 2 weeks. Everything I am reading suggests that nearly everyone who has this (septoplasty/turbinectomy) has been very happy with it.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
    diva_dynamite
    (female)

diva_dynamite HB User

Both my husband and I were diagnosed with sleep apnea. I just turned 41 in Feb, and my husband is 27. I had a tonsillectomy, septoplasty, turbinectomy and all of my sinuses cleaned in October (in one procedure). My ENT wanted to also do a UPPP, but at the time, our insurance wouldn't approve it til after the other things were done. Sorry to say, but you probably won't notice an improvement on Day 2, but the results of my follow-up sleep study in January showed that my apneas went from 27/hr down to 1/hr, and my apnea-related cardia arrythmia was gone (they consider that a cure). Unfortunately, I still have major sleep issues, but we're trying to work on that with meds now.
    My husband had a tonsillectomy, UPPP (insurance rules changed on Jan 1!), septoplasty and turbinectomy on Feb. 7. We're still waiting for all of the healing to be done to see how his turned out. He had 30 apneas per hour, and snored pretty badly. He, like you, had almost one nostril almost completely blocked. He is not overweight, but I am. One happy side effect of the surgery is that you will automatically lose weight, because it's kind of difficult to eat, and you'll only be on a liquid diet for awhile. I have a hard time losing weight, and the thought of those pounds melting away made it a lot easier to get through the recovery! Good luck!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

Just had surgery earlier today!!

My apneas were *96* per hour from my sleep study. I *only* had septoplasty/turbinate reduction (with somnoplasty) done. The doctor feels it should be done in stages and this was the first step since I had a deviated septum. He told me though (and this forum backs this up) that this probably wont cure OSA.

Overall this was not too bad. The worse part was probably the fear before hand. After I woke up in recovery I noticed already my packing was already removed. He told me ahead of time that he wont leave in the packing. At first the only feeling I had was it felt like I had used one of those really cheap over the counter nose spray that burns your nose and I had a head ache and was a little groggy. After 1 hour I was feeling much better and had a lot to drink and went to the restroom, after 2nd hour I was feeling *MUCH* better, like I could even drive home. We went to Old Chicagos and I had wings, salad and pizza since I was so hungry!!! So far I feel a little improvement but not *a lot* like I was expecting. The doctor did say it was *very* bad the farther in he went. So I assume after the swelling goes down and the scabbing clears out, I will notice the big improvement I was counting on. I recommend anyone who has a deviated septum and has either OSA or just difficulty breathing during the day to go through this surgery. Everything I read about it is good, and it really is no big deal. Especially since I also had a broken heel once and had a 12 hour surgery from that and that was MISERABLE. Will post again after I heel up some and get my splints out. I'm thinking of asking for a pulse ox at my post op appointment just to do a quick test without CPAP. Will continue to loose weight and do a full sleep study again in a few months to see where I'm at.

Thanks,

Neofree

Last edited by Neofree; 03-06-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
    kee4u
    (male)

kee4u HB User

Neofree i'm sorry to hear that you have sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2000 i was 40 years old. My doctor sent me to have a sleep study and i was diagnose with servere sleep apnea. I had 463 apnea's and i was rated at 83. the doctor wanted and did operate He called the surgery some very long name (UPPP?) and i have to say this That hurt like no tomorrow. it took a 40 year old man and turned him into an 80 year weakling. I didn't eat anything for just about three weeks i lost 25 pounds (Which didn't hurt me) and my throat hurt for months. I would "NEVER" wish anyone to have that.

And to go through all that it didn't help me at all. I had another sleep study after the surgery and i still had 300 apnea's. I end up using a cpap machine and i wouldn't live without it. I love it. I take it anywhere i go. I didn't ever think i would get use to wearing it but you do. and once you get use to it. you'll find your sleep better.

Oh yeah i had my tonsils, adeniods and ulvuia(?) out and he also moved my tongue and open my airway more. I was in the hospital for three days (I didn't want to leave then either) And i couldn't swollow for a few days. It was hard to me to swollow for over a year.

In my opinion i wouldn't have that surgery again i plainly didn't work.

Good Luck to everyone that has sleep apnea

Old 03-10-2006, 03:54 AM   #11
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

I hear ya! It sounds like UPPP is risky.. only 50% success rate (if that!). You *may* consider Somnoplasty, that sounds like a new treatment that's hardly painful at all that has a higher success rate. It does sound like though if your tonsils and rarely in adults adenoids are too big they can be a real factor and although they are extremely painful for an adult to have removed, sounds like it may be worth it *if* they are a major problem.

My plan is to loose all my extra weight. Weight alone can be the cause of OSA. If I still have it I will look at somnoplasty next, and *possibly* tonsilectomy. But if CPAP works, I understand now that it's enough for many people... I miss it since I cant use it right now.. I am still a bit wiped from my surgery of septoplasty/turbinate reduction... The doc was under the idea (and others have said this too) that 15 pain pills is enough for most people. I'm not most people! I just finished a bottle of 30 and getting more tommorow. Just woke up shivering cold but the room and body tempuature are normal... I just am a wimp I guess! Still also mostly blocked up in my nose.. Been rinsing 3-4 times a day and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right as stuff comes out. I can sympathisize, waiting till I was 40 would be awful for this for me, and this is a "light" surgery that I had. But again I think I'm a little out of the norm here, most people on this forum agree this is nothing.. This is now my highest thought everyday, I have no doubt I will loose all my weight this year, something I never thought I would get the will power to do!

Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #12
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

Got my splints out yesterday!! All I can say is WOW!! Spent most of the day High on the extra air! Clogged up in the evening, but started today clearing up on it's OWN before I rinsed! I am very very happy doing this and now am beginning to feel the benefits!!

Closed Thread