HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sleep Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sleep-disorders/)
-   -   Restoril VS Ambien (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/sleep-disorders/433866-restoril-vs-ambien.html)

pelos 10-02-2006 05:51 PM

Restoril VS Ambien

which is the better on for me!!!!!!!!!! or which one will knock me out faster

kyleeannabell 10-03-2006 12:26 PM

Re: Restoril VS Ambien

I have only taken Ambien....and a half a pill at that...It is the only thing that really works for me... I have tried about everything... It does cause some side effects that I have noticed, I just go right to bed, I has a serious spell once where things were moving(well they really weren't...but my mind felt that they were. .but it works so well....

kyleeannabell 10-03-2006 12:26 PM

I have only taken Ambien....and a half a pill at that...It is the only thing that really works for me... I have tried about everything... It does cause some side effects that I have noticed, I just go right to bed, I had a serious spell once where things were moving(well they really weren't...but my mind felt that they were) .but it works so well....

curious24 10-11-2006 09:38 AM

I've only tried the ambien also but its been a while now that i've been on it and i'm starting to see it not help as good. Though it still helps me fall asleep now its staying asleep thats the problem. But just wanted to agree with you on the visual side effects. Thats the only real symptom I experienced.. the first time i ever took it I was trying to just watch TV like a normal night and started seeing triple of everything and called someone at 2 am talking really irratically about it. Then I figured out that you can't try to fight it, after you take it just close your eyes and within 15 mins I'm usually sound asleep!

anytimetennis 10-16-2006 09:24 PM

I take Lunesta. For 1 year, 10 months. doesn't work as well as it used to but better than nothing. I also take terazosin to keep me from urinating too frequently. One reason I was waking up at nite. My problem is staying asleep. I wake up after 3 hours and then It takes me several hours to fall back asleep. My brain doesn't stop. Doctors have no explanation. I need help.

jonee0 10-17-2006 11:04 PM

For Me its Ambien hands down over temazepam/restoril. Restoril worked ok for me, but the ambien would allow me to sleep longer than 3 or 4 hours. I have tried many things to combat my sleep problems including cpap etc. nothing works well for me. Restoril for me was not very effective. Triazolam/Halcion helps me get to sleep more efficiently. I recently had the chance to try out Rozerem & it reminded me much of Ambien in terms of length of sleep without waking. Ambien is definitely a blackout drug & easily abused, but nowhere as addictive in my opinion as Restoril or Halcion. Sometimes some light anti-depressants are prescribed for help with sleeping. I have been prescribed elavil & trazadone in this regard in the past. Trazadone worked pretty well for me.
My insurance company will not allow prescriptions for brand drugs if generic alternatives are available. That means I cannot get Ambien, Lunesta, rozerem et al, but I can get Prescriptions for temazepam or Triazolam, go figure.

ironworkr 08-30-2008 05:37 AM

I have been on ambien for 4 years now and while I am definatly having problems with probable addiction is as much as I dont sleep much or well or for long if I dont take it, recently my doctor tried me on restoril to maybe change meds to promote better sleep and move off ambien. the ambien used to cause some interesting and disturbing side effects for the first year, I would hit a point where memory was gone and what ever I did I would have 0 recollections of ie: couldnt find a pair of scissors one night so drove to wal mart and bought 16 oairs of different sewing scissors. Scared my wife silly but thank the good Lord nothing bad ever happened and I learned quickly to take it and NOT go or do anything under pain of death by spousal abuse. Now the restoril does nothing, it helps me not at all, no sleep help , in fact I think I am sleeping less due to fact I have had upper abdominal stomach pains in varying degree's since we switched. I am stopping taking it and going back to the ambien since I have has no side effects in 3 years form it and at least get 3/4 of a nights sleep minimum for the most part instead of 1/6 on the restoril. I dont think I even sleep on the restoril, i just lose consciencness but dont feel rested at all. I urge you to be aware of side effects and causeality of these meds, they may work somewhat but the side effects can be worse than the initial problem. I would rather have problems sleeping a full night with ambien than wake up after a hour of restless tossing and turning with a stabbing pain in my upper stomach under zyphoid process every night and have to eat drink pepto bismol or something to get any relief.
But all in all the Lord is good and at least I am alive to keep complaining instead of any other possibilities :)

Mod101 04-13-2009 11:22 AM

Please do not respond to old threads.