It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Valerian for Sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
    Icculus23
    (male)

Icculus23 HB User
    Valerian for Sleep

I have been experiencing insomnia for the past couple of years, and although I am prescribed to Lunesta, I do not like to become dependent on sleeping pills, as I hope the insomnia is only temporary.

Yesterday, at whole foods, I picked up some Solaray Valerian Root Extract. The ingredients are Valerian (root extract - guaranteed 400 mcg [0.8%] valerenic acids - 50mg) and Valerian (root - 230 mg).

So, there is only 50 mg of valerian root extract, yet the directions say "take one capsule one to two times a day with a meal or glass of water." Last night, I took 1 capsule, and did feel a bit drowsy when trying to fall asleep, but woke up very early and was in a zombie-ish slightly awake state throughout the night. I feel that the dosage may be too low, as I have researched most valerian pills to contain at least 200 mg of valerian.

I am not sure if there is something special about the extract form in this pill, but would you recommend raising the dosage to 2 or 3 pills before bed? Anyone with experience here, help is greatly appreciated... thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread