It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Things to aid sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
    BeckyPie
    (female)

BeckyPie HB User
    Things to aid sleep

Okay, in my last post I said that I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I've still been having trouble falling asleep. Last night I got a total of 1 1/2 hours of sleep. I just could not fall asleep. Do any of you have things you do in order to fall asleep.
    My doctor explained it to me in a way that makes sense. She said insomnia comes with sleep apnea because your body doesn't want to fall asleep since you stop breathing when you sleep. So your body will do anything to stay awake and that's why I've been having insomnia problems. Previously I took benadryl to help me fall asleep but I have to take it 2 hours before I'm going to sleep in order for it to kick in and I don't want to take it every night on the off chance that, that is a night I won't be able to fall asleep.
    Is there any sort of home remedy that would help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
    izzyb
    (female)

izzyb HB User
    Re: Things to aid sleep

Your doctor's explanation was great to read. It must mean that sleep is possible. I started using a BiPap about 5 weeks ago after being on the CPap for nearly 2 months with no relief. The Bipap hasn't helped so far either. My doctor and everyone associated said that I would be a new person immediately. They lied! It takes me a long time to go to sleep and when I do I wake up during the night. And to make matters worse I have been on Ambien CR since just before my initial machine. It helped me at first, but for the last couple of weeks it hasn't been working. I am going to quit taking it because of all the bad things I have read on message boards.

Anyway, here's to hope!

Last edited by moderator2; 02-21-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I question your doctors explanation for your insomnia. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but never experienced insomnia--quite the opposite. You might want to play detective and ask yourself
    1. When did your insomnia start?
    2. Does it occur once a month? Once a week? Nightly? Only occasionallly?
    3. How long does it take to fall asleep? 1 hour, 2 hours, etc
    4. Record any meds you are taking and the dose.
    5. Write down any changes in your thinking, body, daily activities.

Try keeping a daily record, and yes, i know this is VERY difficult if you are not sleeping. Do you see any cause and effects? I tried to do this when i was having problems while on blood pressure medications. The only entries i made were on the days that i had FORGOTTEN to take my meds. Although, there wasn't much info on my "diary" it did revealed alot--my blood pressure med was interfering with my sleep!

As far as the CPAP goes, I LOVE mine...but it did take some getting used to. For starters, I was so tired when they explained the use of my machine,I didn't use it properly for over 1 year. I did demand a different mask than they gave me (I think insurance companies have a say here) and that helped. And i identified some allergens that were making me congested (I would take my mask off in the middle of the night). Now instead of getting up 4 times a night to go to the bathroom, I sleep all the way through. Do some more research and give the CPAP a try...i found it well worth my time.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-28-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Bethsheba,
    I love reading your posts. They are always full of good advice.

Izzyb,
    It is possible that there was something up with your titration study the night you were evaluated. I am not saying you do not have sleep apnea.. that is a given.. just that the pressure may be wrong on your machine. Has anything changed for you since getting you machine? An increase or decrease in weight? Medication? Stress? Routine?
    My husband, son, and I all have sleep apnea and are dependent on our machines.. did you no there is a genetic linkage for OSA? So if you have kids keep an eye on them.. back on topic.. your machine.

1) How do you like to sleep? What position? (Belly, side, back) Side is the best it help reduce OSA events. CPAP Pressure test? You can change your CPAP or BiPAP pressure setting following instructions in your manual.. keep a journal and try increasing or decreasing your pressure.. see how it affects your sleep.
    Some people need a higher pressure than recommended by the sleep study. I am operating on a slightly higher pressure, because of seasonal allegen effects which are not apparent in a one night study. After my ENT performed all the allowable surgies i still had sleep apnea.. but the required pressure was reduced.. Now instead of an 11 I need a 9.. but a 7 was recommended. On 7 I was back to waking up 3-4 times a night and not feeling rested at all. You are the best judge of what you need long term.
    What was your recommended pressure.. and at that pressure were you still have OSA events? If the answer is yes to the events.. increase your pressure by at increments of .5 until you are comfortable. Extra pressure can not hurt you!

2) What is your routine? Do you have one? A routine is a must.. it has made a huge difference for my family especially my four year old son. He had bad insomnia, ADHD behavioral habits (most common misdiagnosis for sleep apnea children because they keep running and moving to avoid falling asleep), as well as the nocturnal wakings, snoring and many more... He always hated to go to sleep and I felt like I was dealing with a monster.. then my husband and I were diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I saw the same signs in my son.. now we are a happy CPAP family. Our routine? Well getting everything out of the way that you must do at least an hour before bed. Give yourself a hour before your desired bedtime to bath, or relax and read, or listen to music.. etc.. just wind down.

3) Medications? Look at all your meds.. some may be stimulants if you are taking them at night and not right before you lay down and close your eyes they can be hindering your sleep efforts. The worse things to take at bed time are decongestants and expectorants, diet pills and a few other choice meds. What do you do if they are a must? Well take them as the last thing you do.. lay down and attempt to get to sleep immediately. You have a twenty minute window before the medicine is absorbed and permiates through your system.

4) Stress and Weight Gain? Try excercising late in the evening, but at least an hour before you sleep. The adrenaline produced hipes you up, but as the levels drop they help you sleep.. goes back to the natural flight or fight instinct. Extra weight adds to the pressure you need.. loss of weight reduces the pressure you need.

5) Diet? No caffine, and minimize suger after noon. All these things add to your inability to sleep.

BeckyPie,

Benedryl won't hurt you it is an anti-histamine.. that is all. It is better than some of the other sleep aide options.

I weight lift, do a martial art kata, listen to music, take a hot shower and finsih bedtime preparations, massage my major muscle groups, lay down and read a mindless book... after putting my son down. My husband watches the news and drinks a cup of chamomile tea. My son gets to listen to one or two stories, pet the cat and dogs, take a long bath with some lavender aroma therapy get ready for bed, get in bed on his CPAP and get a final bedtime story.

Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. If your mind races.. right it all down in a journal and make a mental note that you will attack your problem when you are rested. This works for me.. I guess it allows me to think.. I will remember now, and not forget about it...

Best of luck to you all.
    Respectfully,
    MG

Old 02-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
    izzyb
    (female)

izzyb HB User

MG, the last few nights I have been sleeping better. I think I figured out the problem. Even though I have been on Effexor XR for the past 8 years, I just found out that insomnia is a major problem. I talked to my doctor about a week ago and she said to take the Effexor in the morning because it peaks when you take it. The funny thing is that a couple or few years ago I started taking it at night thinking it would help me sleep (I have always had a problem sleeping). It has obvously turned me into an insomniac. So I have started taking the Effexor in the morning and I am going to start taking half the dosage as soon as I get my new prescription filled. I think changing to morning is helping. I hope that is the answer. I took Melatonin last night and it helped me get to sleep faster but still some wake-ups in the night.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

MG,

Thank you for those kind words...and thank you for your insights as i have learned much from you (i have never given a thought to adjusting pressures and i do have seasonal allergies). I chuckled when i saw your son's bedtime routines--mine include bedding down with 3 cats (the dog stays on the floor), and smearing lavender lotion on my skin before reading.
    Again, many thanks for sharing!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm so glad you're finding relief. Keep in mind that you can develop side effects to meds with time so if you experience symptoms/problems down the road don't assume it isn't a med you've been on for years.

Take care and best of health to you!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Bethsheba,
    Once again, your welcome...

and thank you for your insights as i have learned much from you (i have never given a thought to adjusting pressures and i do have seasonal allergies).

Your welcome.. again. I find that many health issues all go back to a common source.. our genetics. I blame my mom, and my son will blame me most definitely. Well, my family has both year round and seasonal allergies.. so we tend to operate higher than recommended all the time and it has helped us all keep sleeping through the night.

We also talked extensively to the sleep study staff after each of our studies...
    Did you know, the machines during your titration studies stop ramping the pressure when you no longer have more than five events an hour?

Think about it... that may mean you ares still having four.. all or even one of these may be enough to wake you every hour still. My study showed I had 5 an hour at a pressure of 7, 3 at a pressure of 9.. but nada at 11. So while they prescribed just over 7, because that is where the machine had to stop ramping; I stick with 11. I can not get the quality of rest I need if i wake up every one-two hours and a pressure of 11 guarantees blissful sleep... until my son or cat decide to canon ball my chest and wake me up.

I chuckled when i saw your son's bedtime routines--mine include bedding down with 3 cats (the dog stays on the floor), and smearing lavender lotion on my skin before reading.

I left out that he has to sleep with a car in each hand.. and his bed is littered with car Cars cuddlies.. It is quite cute.. and all boy. I am guilty of sleeping with.. five pillows about me as well. I am glad my husband only needs one, otherwise between our two CPAP's, six pillows and us..we would be waring over space in our king sized bed.

Another cute thought. My son didn't like mommy and daddy sleeping with things on our faces at night when we first got ours.. he would wake up at odd hours (because of his own sleep apnea), come into our bedroom.. climb right up the center of our bed and cover our mask exhaust holes! Nothing like your mask popping off your face with a annoying blubbering/pooting noise to get the three year old giggling and you awake quickly... my husband learned to sleep through it quickly though. If your children have issues with it.. let them turn it on and feel the air blowing on there face.. it helps familiarize themselves with it and fear it less.

Now my son loves his machine.. it means he is a big boy and just like mommy and daddy. I wonder when he is going to start resenting us for his need for that machine... can you imagine sleep overs? I am trying not too... but he is healthier and growing again, so I will handle whatever fall out comes afterward.

Keep passing along your insite.. we can all learn from each other and it is the best form of education in my book.. EXPERIENCE.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

oh, MG, I do so agree with you that experience is the best teacher...that is why I studied gerontology in grad school. The older people in my life have always been supportive , understanding, patient, and wise and have given me the courage to get through situations i thought to be impossible.

I am taking notes re the ramp pressures...i will have to refer back to my sleep study, and yes, i did demand the reports so i can refer to it as need be. Thanks again for this info...I doubt few people are aware of this.

The comments regarding your little one are precious...it must be quite a sight to see him with those cars tightly clutched in those little fingers...I don't think those sleep overs will be a problem. You're well informed about sleep apnea and the treatment, and you strike me as being very positive. I suspect at the first sleep over, those boys are all going to be trying on masks and pushing buttons, grin!

Thanks for sharing and for advocating, MG. Your little boy and your husband are so very lucky to have you in their lives.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-01-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread