It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Anyone ever take Ativan for sleep?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
    kathryn55555
    (female)

kathryn55555 HB User
    Anyone ever take Ativan for sleep?

I've been taking 4mg for sleep for 1 1/2 years and it is no longer working. Has anyone had success switching to something else while tapering down and still getting a good nights sleep? What was the new med?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
    suzyque1
    (female)

suzyque1 HB User
    Re: Anyone ever take Ativan for sleep?

Ativan is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I have tried over the counter, natrual,and prescrption meds.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
    sunglo
    (female)

sunglo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathryn55555 View Post
    I've been taking 4mg for sleep for 1 1/2 years and it is no longer working. Has anyone had success switching to something else while tapering down and still getting a good nights sleep? What was the new med?
    I HAD TAKEN ATIVAN FOR 15 YAERS..I COULD TAKE A HALF AND STILL WORK AND WOULD HELP WITH ATTACKS AND AT NITE....JUS STARTED AGAIN BUT ONLY TAKE AT NITE AND GIVES ME A RESTFUL SLEEP....I WISH U LUCK I HAVE HAD A SLEEP DISORDER FOR 35 YRS...ITS SCRY SWICHING BUT I FOUND THAT ZANAX WORKS AS WELL

Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
    Gavintine
    (female)

Gavintine HB User

I take .5 mg to times a day (one before I seep). I take it for anxiety but I do fall asleep easily with it. I'd like to stop it gradually ut hope I don't have trouble sleeping.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

I have been taking ativan on an as needed basis for panic attacks for over 10 years. I never built up a tolerance and .5-1 mg has been all I have ever needed. Recently I have developed some insomnia and major exhaustion throughout the day - everyday. So even though I havent needed ativan for attacks (have not had an attack in about 2 years due to being prescribed klonopin which is AWESOME for anxiety/panic) I have been taking it at night when I cannot sleep. I have been finding that it is not making me as tired as it once did. I have to take 1 mg and that may help...sometimes not. So I called my Dr and got an Rx for Ambien. But I am afraid to take it!!

Anyway, I was always told not to take ativan for sleep as it only has a 4 hour half life and can cause rebound issues - menaing you will not get that full deep sleep you need for 7-8 hours.

I can say that when I do take it and am able to fall asleep - I still NEVER feel refreshed. Hopefully I can gain the courage to try ambien and it will be life changing!! I am so sick of being tired all of the time.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I agree. Klonopin I have been told works better for sleep because it lasts longer in your body.

Closed Thread