It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Will chronic stuffiness impede CPAP therapy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
    cobman
    (male)

cobman HB User
    Question Will chronic stuffiness impede CPAP therapy?

Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by. MG you sound like terrific and dedicated source of information. Maybe y'all can point me in the right direction. I suffer from sleep apnea, having recently undergone a clinical evaluation that registered an average of 24 periods of breathing cessation per hour. This, I'm told, is "moderate." I have yet to purchase a CPAP machine, but am in the process of doing so. Tested, for one week only, a Remstar unit with flex pressure and humidifier. Didn't notice a huge difference right away, but then, it wasn't until the third night that I switched from a leaky nasal mask to a full face mask, which seemed to work better. Generally, my symptoms are mild. I am 52 years old and seem to have a good deal of energy, likely the result of regular running and exercise. I am a trim 175 pounds (nearly six feet tall), and rarely use any medications at all. I have no trouble concentrating, staying awake, or falling asleep. The problem is that I wake up, or nearly so, many times a night. Occasionally, I get up in the morning with an apnea induced headache. I also snore like a locomotive. Actually, my girlfriend says my snoring is laced with a high pitched whine "like a goose." I really hate this! I'm hoping the CPAP machine will alleviate these symptoms. Any thoughts or advice? I also suffer from chronic sinusitis (perpetual stuffiness) and am concerned this will impede the effectiveness of CPAP therapy. I have tested positive for allergies to dust, pollen and grass. My doctor prescribed a corticosteroid nasal spray called "Flonase" which seems to have zero affect. If anyone has a similar sinus condition and experience with CPAP, I would be very grateful for your input. Thanks again for reading all this. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Will chronic stuffiness impede CPAP therapy?

Yeah I am full of cents all pilled into two penny piles. Okay I was a sinus queen. My son is working on being a sinus king. He has identical CT sinus structure as me.

Chronic stuffiness.. well join the party. Have you been to an ENT and looked into surgical options for sleep apnea and allergic/vasomotor rhinitis?

If you have not. I would recommend doing so.. go to an ENT that has a lot of children for patients.. the younger the better. This normally suggests he is up on the latest procedures and techniques.

In the mean time.. Flonase?! Come on, MD.. what was he thinking? Get a prescription for Nasonex instead. It covers environmental as well as biological allergens. Okay in addition to this... Look into an anticholenergic (sp may be off MD prescription only) this will shut down mucus production in the nasal membranes. Sweet huh?

Okay from my glorious worship worthy ENT. I have had severe sinus surgery and a tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy since becoming one with my CPAP. I learned that
    the mucus situation is quite common with sinus and sleep apnea sufferers. CPAPs aggravate the condition. The nasal membranes dry out and get irritated by the increased are flow resulting in the defensive production of snot.. which drains and is pushed all night long down the back of your throat and into the tummy. Some severe cases wake nauseous after a night of this.. My ENT asked me how I was doing on my CPAP and then laughed and told me his cure all.. since October of last year it has worked wonders for me.

Scripts for antihistamines, steriodal nasal spray.. occasionally a nasal antihistamine and some OTC procedures.

The OTC regime:
    Pretz PH balanced nasal Saline. This is OTC, but sometimes you have to order it.. it is not often locally stocked. Ponaris Nasal Emolleant (Oil). This is also OTC, but sometimes you have to order it.. it is not often locally stocked. How do you use these things? Well before bed and after a shower, if you are a night bather, use Pretz two squirts each nostril. Then wait a bit for the dripping to subside. Apply a quarter to 1/2 a dropper of the Ponaris in each nostril.. suck it up. In the morning if needed rinse with Pretz first and then apply Ponaris. Oftimes a Pretz rinse is all I need to calm things down. The mucus effect is worse in cold weather months.

Hope this gives you some relief. Tonsillectomies and adenoidectomies are the best thing for reduction in snoring. The mask and sleeping on your side will also help.

Good luck!
    MG

Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
    cobman
    (male)

cobman HB User

Thanks MG .. I am going to copy and print your advice for discussion with my MD .. very much appreciated! C.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I also have sleep apnea and vasomotor rhinitis. For years, I would snore like a stuffed pig and the only person it bothered was my husband! A year ago this last Christmas, I lost all my energy and it was all due to the sleep apnea. Had the test done; was fit to one machine, which didn't work, so after three months, got another make. It is WONDERFUL as the gauges have been set, but if I need more oxygen in the night, the machine will go up automatically. It comes with a water unit that keeps my nose not too dry. If you want the name of this product, please let me know. I used to wake up blocked to the hills, but since using this machine, I do not have that trouble. However, nothing has helped my vasomotor.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
    cobman
    (male)

cobman HB User
    Question Re: Will chronic stuffiness impede CPAP therapy?

Danabarb, thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, I would love to know the name of your machine. I was looking at RemStar It's the same unit I demo'd for one week last summer, which wasn't really long enough to evaluate its effectiveness.

Price Gouge: a company called Medi-Gas (located in Edmonton, Canada, where I lived until Sept 2007) wanted to charge me $2,000 for the exact same RemStar unit (with heater and humidifier) that CPAP was marketing for $600-ish. I told Medi-Gas to kiss my sleep deprived butt!

Meantime, I'm still looking for a good machine, and any honest advice would be much appreciated. Also, not sure about "vasomotor." What is it?

Thanks again,

Chris.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-26-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

cobman,

My insurance company had me "rent" a machine until I found one that worked for me...then they purchased it for me. I have a remstar auto cpap with a smart card and a heated humdifier that I love.

Now that I found a machine and equipment that works for me I buy my stuff someplace other than my local home medical equipment dealers which are affiliated with the hospitals. My insurance company paid $75 for a 6 foot hose that I found for $9.99 elsewhere (same thing and brand new). Some suppliers will let you purchase "insurance" in case what you buy doesn't work for you...then you can turn it in and try something else.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Chris,

the machine I have is the REMstarAuto M series with c flex whatever the heck that is. I just called the company I bought it from and it cost $700. You would need a prescription for one in the United States.

Regarding vasomotor: It is an allergy to perfumes and smells from chemicals and the changes in the weather. It is a pain in the arse to have!!

Good luck with your machine and if I can be of any more help, just let me know.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
    cobman
    (male)

cobman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
    Chris,

the machine I have is the REMstarAuto M series with c flex whatever the heck that is. I just called the company I bought it from and it cost $700. You would need a prescription for one in the United States.

Regarding vasomotor: It is an allergy to perfumes and smells from chemicals and the changes in the weather. It is a pain in the arse to have!!

Good luck with your machine and if I can be of any more help, just let me know.
    Thanks DB, really appreciate your help.

Cheers for now,

Chris.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
    cobman
    (male)

cobman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
    cobman,

My insurance company had me "rent" a machine until I found one that worked for me...then they purchased it for me. I have a remstar auto cpap with a smart card and a heated humdifier that I love.

Now that I found a machine and equipment that works for me I buy my stuff someplace other than my local home medical equipment dealers which are affiliated with the hospitals. My insurance company paid $75 for a 6 foot hose that I found for $9.99 elsewhere (same thing and brand new). Some suppliers will let you purchase "insurance" in case what you buy doesn't work for you...then you can turn it in and try something else.

Good luck!

Bethsheba
    Thank you Bethsheba, yes, there seems to be some serious price variations, thanks again for the info, I will certainly shop around. All the best.

Chris.

Closed Thread