It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Anything more Powerful than Ambien CR and Lunesta? I cannot sleep:(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
    panthers78
    (male)

panthers78 HB User
    Anything more Powerful than Ambien CR and Lunesta? I cannot sleep:(

I have had trouble sleeping on an off. My doc prescribed me Ambien CR probably about 18 months ago...I took it for about two months..it worked wonderfully..it actually put me to sleep. I didn't have a lot of extra stress at the time so I was able to get myself back to a semi-regular sleep pattern and didn't have to take it anymore..

However, recently due to some things going on, I have had difficulty sleeping once again..I can't sleep when I need to sleep..I am drained. I went back to my doc and they first prescribed me Ambien CR since it worked last time..it is not working AT ALL this time. I take it and can stay up as if nothing has happened. I seemed to have built up a tolerance while NOT taking it for the last year and a half I am not sure how that is even possible..I have begun to take two diphenydramine tablets with it and still...nothing..my doc then gave me a sample of Lunesta..once again..nothing...

I am totally not sure what to do now. Is there anything more powerful than these two drugs? I am desperate to get some sleep..

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Anything more Powerful than Ambien CR and Lunesta? I cannot sleep:(

Jim,

I don't have any suggestions as to the meds...but I would suggest you find out if you have a sleeping disorder (perhaps obstrutive sleep apnea).

Sleep problems that come and go may be "aggravated" by one's environment (stress, family issues, alcohol, etc) but sometimes the actual "cause" is a sleep disorder. People who experience depression, acid reflux, anxiety issues, asthma/breathing problems and/or other conditions often find that once their sleep disorder improves, these other conditions go away.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to learn more...

Take care.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-27-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
    KLPEACH
    (female)

KLPEACH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by panthers78 View Post
    I have had trouble sleeping on an off. My doc prescribed me Ambien CR probably about 18 months ago...I took it for about two months..it worked wonderfully..it actually put me to sleep. I didn't have a lot of extra stress at the time so I was able to get myself back to a semi-regular sleep pattern and didn't have to take it anymore..

However, recently due to some things going on, I have had difficulty sleeping once again..I can't sleep when I need to sleep..I am drained. I went back to my doc and they first prescribed me Ambien CR since it worked last time..it is not working AT ALL this time. I take it and can stay up as if nothing has happened. I seemed to have built up a tolerance while NOT taking it for the last year and a half I am not sure how that is even possible..I have begun to take two diphenydramine tablets with it and still...nothing..my doc then gave me a sample of Lunesta..once again..nothing...

I am totally not sure what to do now. Is there anything more powerful than these two drugs? I am desperate to get some sleep..

Jim

Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
    KLPEACH
    (female)

KLPEACH HB User

Hello,
    I have taken Ambien CR for almost two years, I have noticed when I get realy, really stressed it doesn't work very well at all. So what I do is add one half of .05 klonopin or clonozipam.... Just for those extra hard times, then I go back to Ambien CR and it works just fine.

Good luck!!!!
    Kathy
    Sacramento, Ca...

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
    fenfan88
    (female)

fenfan88 HB User

Add Melatonin to your Ambien and if you have any muscle relaxers maybe that would help. I take 6 3mg. Melatonin 2 30mg. Restoril and 2 Klonopin plus 4 Somas just to sleep.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
    VA_girl
    (female)

VA_girl HB User

Valarian is also a natural suppliment that might help, I take it with benodryl, but I too am now looking for something else. The benodryl and valarian will help me fall asleep often...but I still wake up a lot in the middle of the night.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Temazepam has a bit more "kick", as does chloral hydrate.

Taking 50mg of diphenhydramine (benadryl, nytol, sominex) can boost he effct of a prescription sleep med

Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
    TexMom85
    Veteran
    (female)

TexMom85 HB User

I would be very, very careful with the OTC, "natural" stuff, especially when taken with a prescription medication. The herbal remedies are not regulated by the FDA, and can interact with other things you take in ways that could be potentially dangerous. For me, none of them worked anyway.

I have suffered from raging, chronic insomnia for well over 15 years, and have tried everything known to man. This includes Ambien, Prosom, Lunesta, Rozerem, and, anti-depressants (tho I was not then and am not now, depressed). I even tried hypnosis, acupuncture, therapy, aromatherapy, massage...well, you get the picture. For a long time, I took Elavil (amitryptiline), and it helped with my sleep for a number of years. After a really rough period, I found a new doctor who was willing to run tests on me, and she found out I had none of the hormones that signal sleep, nor the ones that signal it's time to wake up. My adrenals were so depleted, I could barely function. This may be what's happened to you--due to stress, your "sleep" hormones are wiped out and so are you.

Over the last few years, I have tried a few other things....Topamax, which is typically used to treat migraines, worked for a while but made me very dopey. Klonopin--helped with sleep but it made me very angry and was extremely hard to get off of. Believe it or not, I also tried Xyrem, which is basically GHB, the date rape drug. It did not give me sleep, just knocked me out for about 90 minutes, which was not enough and it was weird to be unconscious rather than asleep, so I didn't do that for long.

Now, I take Ambien CR (for the second go-round), along with Phenergan (generic is promethazine), the anti-nausea medication, which has a wonderful sedating quality to it and no side effects, at least not for me. I also occasionally take a Xanax if I am really stressed, and I also take Mirapex for my RLS.

There are still nights I cannot sleep no matter what I do, but this routine has helped me quite a bit. I have other sleep issues, like the RLS and apnea (for which I use CPAP), so my sleep is very sensitive and subject to easy awakenings. I also have spinal issues that are painful enough to rouse me from sleep.

I hope you have a doctor who is willing to work with you and find out how your body/brain responds to things. You might have success with either the Phenergan or the Klonopin. A muscle relaxer such as Flexeril could also help you. Please be careful, though, especially with the OTC stuff. Just because something is "natural" or sold OTC doesn't mean it's safe.

Let us know how you do....

Blessings,
    TexMom

Closed Thread