It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Question regarding my humidifier on my CPAP machine.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User
    Question regarding my humidifier on my CPAP machine.

Hi all, I have sleep apnea and have a CPAP machine. It works so well and I am totally dialed in with my full face mask, its actually Quite comfy now and I require WAY less sleep and I sleep so much better and feel so much better too.
    Here is my Question, I just started using my humidifier that came with my machine as before I didn't feel like I needed so I always kept it full of distilled water but didn't turn on the humidifier I just kept water in it.

I recently started using it and here is my question. I notice that it can stink and the water smells rotten. I do clean it and change the water weekly so I fill it up with water and use it all week, than I clean it out and put fresh water in weekly.

This smell has happened 3 times now, and this time it happened within 3 days of me refilling and cleaning it. I use white vinegar to clean it with some dove un scented hand soap. I soaked it for half a day and the smell was still there so I put in bleach and let it soak the rest of the day. It than smelled really good but I could sort of smell the bleach through it so I didn't use it last night and today I will re clean it buy using a bottle brush. I am going to buy one as I have never scrubbed it I just soak it in the vinegar solution, it has a small hole in it so its hard to clean and I think a bottle brush would be a good choice. why is this happening and what can I do to prevent it. I am thinking now of changing the water every day and only using enough for one night at a time. we do have bad humidity here so I am thinking the water is just going bad. QUICKLY. I also don't disconnect my hose to it so it is covered all the time, should I be letting air get to it daily?

what is the best method to clean the de humidifier and does anyone else get that moldy rotten smell in there unit? I keep my equipment very clean, weekly I take it apart and scrub everything, including the hose and the face mask, so I do keep good hygeine with it. what is that smell?

thanks, SS

Last edited by slipperyslope; 07-11-2008 at 04:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
    ptlady11
    (female)

ptlady11 HB User
    Smile Re: Question regarding my humidifier on my CPAP machine.

I put fresh distilled water in every night......Wash it out with mild soap and water and rinse it out good about once a month .....been doing it for 5 years and never had a "smell". I think you may be overdoing it with your cleaning methods. Distilled water has nothing in it (no chlorine, no bacteria, etc.). That's why we use it. Hope this helps.....

Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Question regarding my humidifier on my CPAP machine.

Slippery, I am so very happy to hear that you are doing well with your machine. I suspect most people do well, it's just that we hear from many who don't because of the nature of this help/support forum.

Some thoughts regarding water/humidifier/smell....

IDEALLY, one would change the water in the humidifier every day. Although distilled water is "clean", our mouths and respiratory systems are not....we exhale bacteria and therefore "dirty" the water. I suspect that is why you are getting that smell....not because you're not getting the equipment clean, but because the water is sitting in your unit too long.

I personally don't change my water every day...I try to change it every other day but do not keep stale water in longer than 3 days. Please note, I clean my humidifier only once a week (when I change my linens) and I clean it in dish detergent before doing my dishes. You might want to refer to your instruction manual regarding cleaning as some cleaners (bleach for instance) may be too harsh.

If it is ok to use bleach, a ten minute soak would be adequate to kill any germs. But again, read the instructions on your bleach bottle.

I don't disco my hose, either...but I do stretch it out so it can air dry.

Hope this has been of some help.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread