It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Chronic insomnia - reaching breaking point

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
    lotus1023
    (female)

lotus1023 HB User
    Chronic insomnia - reaching breaking point

I've been a bad sleeper for as long as I can remember, but have just always accepted it as I've been able to function OK (just lacking in energy), and my Fa & bro have similar problems. However when I was pregnant with my first child 2 years ago I slept much worse than normal, only 1-2 hrs a night in the last trimester. It was unbearable.

Now I'm 17 weeks pregnant again, and when I found out I was pregnant I decided to try and do something to make sure I didn't get to that unbearable stage this time round. I've been seeing a Naturopath, Accupunctursit, Osteopath, counsellor, doing yoga, relaxation exercises, sleep CDs, and nothing is helping. It's just getting progressively worse and worse and I'm feeling absolutely terrible every day. I'm really reaching the point where I feel i can't function anymore, and I have a 21 month old toddler to run around after as well.

So a typical night would going to bed at 9:30pm, taking 1/2 - 1 hr to fall asleep, sleeping maybe 2-3 hrs and waking up. Being awake for up to 1 hr, but often not wide awake, just restless and tossing and turning but feeling really sleepy. For the next few hours I sleep an hour here and there, but not really ever more than 1 hr blocks, and toss and turn a lot. By about 4-5am I might get another block of 2 hours before waking around 6-7am. I guess I get about 6 hours on average a night over maybe 3-4 different blocks. I donít even remember the last time I had more than 4 hrs straight, so I donít ever really reach deep sleep.

On a bad night I take 2-3 hrs to get to sleep, and often get up if I can't sleep. I only sleep 1-2 hr blocks and spend a lot of the night getting up as I can't get back to sleep. On bad nights I'm usually out of bed between 1-4am.

This pattern is only just worse than what I'm used to most of my life, except that being pregnant and having a toddler I'm obviously needing a lot more sleep than I usually get.

I don't know what to try next.I havenít tried medication as my Faís addicted to sleeping pills I never wanted to get to that. I really can't go on like this though. It never used to depress me, but now I find I'm thinking about how sleep deprived I am all the time, and just feeling totally horrible. It's affecting every aspect of my life.

I would really appreciate any tips / suggestions / strategies, or would love to hear any other similar stories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Chronic insomnia - reaching breaking point

hello. well the thing is: why do you think you can't sleep? are you suffering from pain?you didn't state this. chronic pain make people not sleep. that's what happen to me. do you drink caffeine after 12:00pm???, eating lot's of chocolate after 12:00???, caffeing can stop you from sleeping. doesn't sound like depression or anxiety stops you from sleeping, not for such a long period of time, you can be sure of that.
    it's horrible not being able to sleep. did you try lyrica? doctor gave me lyrica for sleep and pain. he said it relax the muscles. i've only tried it for couple of days so i'm not sure yet. it suppose to help you sleep. best wishes. keep in touch, would like to know your progress. i believe though, you need medication. 2-3 hours a night, well you can be really sick. lack of sleep increase your chance to have diabetic and other sort of illness.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
    lotus1023
    (female)

lotus1023 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. I'm not suffering from pain. I have 1-2 cups of coffee a day, but never after midday. I don't eat a lot of choc. I've never been prescribed any medication. I wanted to try natural therapies first as my Father's addicted to sleeping pills and I didn't want to go down that road.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
    ANGELINMICHIGAN
    (female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

lotus1023, Hi, I certainly hear you on the "chronic insomnia". I too have suffered from it for approx. 20 years on and off and in the last approx. 8 years I have had it really bad. I also have chronic pain, fibromyalgia, epstein barr disease, myofascial pain, TMJ, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. That in itself is very depressing. I had failed surgery on two discs in my neck and have titanium pins and plates and cadaveur bones in between my discs. The operation was not a success. Have tried every kind of therapy known to man, different injections into the sites even had the nerves burnt (killed) in my neck but they grow back after about 6 months or so. Well to make a long story short my family doctor had me on so many pain killers, opiates, oxycodone, vicodin etc. etc. I just followed doctors orders until I started to go into withdrawl as my system need more!!!! I had such restless legs for at least 6 months I couldn't stand it. I decided that these pills were only masking the pain and decided I would rather live with my neck pain so I checked myself into a "withdrawl clinic" to get off of the opiates. Well they treat you with a "synthetic opiate" to get you off of the real opiates and of course I had no idea what they were giving me but they put me on "suboxone". I was on it for approx. 4 months while my doctor was tapering me down already from approx. 2 months as they say that this can be addictable too. He kept on telling me that maybe I should stay on it for about a year because there are some pain killers still in the suboxone. I didn't want to stay on that either so we tapered me down from a whole 2mg pill to a 1/2 a pill to a 1/4 of a pill until I was just taking a small "crumb" at the end. This took a couple of months and then after the crumb I stopped taking it. That was Dec. 29 and I have been in full blown "withdrawl" from the suboxone ever since. I have gone to hell and back (actually I don't think I have come back yet). My "insomnia" is absolutely horrible and that is one of the bad things they say about going off of "suboxone". I toss and turn and toss and turn and am getting maybe an hour of sleep at night. I can't function, I am in terrible pain now off of the drugs, and of course if you are sick and can't get the rest you need you will not get better. I feel so bad for you that you are having such problems sleeping and yes I feel your restlessness, and it makes you anxious and it is unsettling. Also yes it takes every ounce of energy away. I have decided to go back on my "Ambien" which I was taking for at least 8 years every night and they took me off of it at the withdrawl clinic but my doctor now is standing by me as he says I need it to function. The only problem is it is not working and I am going to go crazy if I don't get some sleep. Sooooo.....I will be thinking of you also. I can't give you any hints what I do because nothing works. I try and take a hot bath, do not use caffeine or eat chocolate, eat bananas before bed as they say that can make you sleepy, sleep in a dark room, don't look at the clock etc. etc. all the good hints but none of them work. I know you can't take any meds because you are pregnant but nothing works for me right now because I am in withdrawl. I hope to God that once this withdrawl period is over (and before I jump right out of my skin or "go crazy") that my Ambien will start working again eventually. I will be thinking about you. Keep me posted at how you are doing. Take care Lyn in Michigan

Old 01-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello angelin. i've read your story. would like to know what made you this neck pain?, was it a car accident? please tell me if it's not too hard on you? just like you, i suffer from chronic neck pain which is unbearable. i also cannot sleep at all cause of the pain. i simply cannot fall asleep. i've tried ambien and that didn't help. didn't like ambien at all. now doctor put me on lyrica eventough they don't think i have fibro. i've been taking it for a week already and i take benzo. i also take half a pill of percocet but doctor said no more than half a pill cause then i will be addicted. percocet helps a bit but not 100%. i feel for you, i know for neck pain doctors don't know what really to do. for what i understand it's cause neck has lot's of nerves intersections that has to do with it a lot. they just don't know all lot about neck. neck pain is horrible. sometimes i wonder what have i done to deserve something which is not possible to cure. i just hope one day they will find something to cure my and your neck pain. perhaps you can try lyrica and some sort of benzo for sleep. i used to hate medicine but no sleep it's worst than taking medicine. i wish all the best for you. i know what it feels to suffer chronic pain.

Last edited by nochange; 01-18-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
    ANGELINMICHIGAN
    (female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

No Change
    Hello, thank you so much for answering my post on insomnia. Yes I am a chronic pain sufferer. I do have fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, Epstein Barr Virus, CMV Virus and also TMJ. I am at my wit's end. I don't know where the neck pain came from originally. They say sometimes trauma from when you were younger. I had a car accident once many many years ago that could have started it and several other small things that have happened to me but mostly just degenerating discs mostly, arthritis and bone spurs on C5/6 C6/7 and had failed fusion surgery with cadaveur bones and titanium pins and plates and woke up afterwards with the same terrible chronic pain in my neck and also the same headache as I had had for 3 years straight. My neurosurgeon a while after surgery said I guess you have "fibromyalgia" and that was it and then told me that the vertabrae above and below were disintegrating now!!!! Gee thanks doc. I was put on percocet after the surgery and weaned down to vicodin and then I was in so much pain afterwards ( a few years later)that my family doc starting giving me vicodin, xanax, oxycodone, and I was on ambien for 8 years prescribed to me by sleep clinic doctors (2 of them) said I could stay on them for ever if I needed them. Well my system finally after years went into withdrawl very bad bad restless legs for 6 months at least and my doctor prescribed re-quip and I finally figured out not my doc. that it was withdrawl and not restless legs. My system needed more "narcotics" and I would not take any more of these pain pills so I checked my self into a withdrawl clinic and was put on "suboxone"!!!! I have been through hell and back after tapering off from 2mg once a day to 1mg to 1/2 a pill to 1/4 of a pill to an 1/8 to crumbs and I have had the worst withdrawl systems. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. Getting back to the subject, I am just like you with the "insomnia", now with what I am going through I have had about 30 hours of sleep in 3 weeks and I can't function. I started taking the Ambien again because I was desperate. It doesn't work at all, nothing works at all and I am sooooo exhausted and of course my pain is really bad because I am back to square 1 with my pain because I chose to go off of all pain medication. Well now I am going back to the "pain clinic" and they gave me some injections last week. I feel a bit better but I still can't sleep for the life of me. The next trip to the pain clinic they are going under radio frequency and are going to "burn" or kill the nerves in my neck. It lasts probably 6months to a year but I will take it. Anything to help with this terrible pain. I had it done years ago before my neck fusion surgery and it helped for about 6 months so I am getting it done again. I know, it is just "masking" the pain because they can't do any more surgery but I will take what I can get. I hope you get some sleep soon. Take care and feel better. Lyn in Michigan

Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dear angelinmichigan. sory to hear your story. as i said, i've never liked ambien. if ambien still doesn't work(since it didn't work for me and felt really bad cause of it). do what i'm doing now, i'm taking 3 times a day lyrica + benzo(any type will help i would think)and it makes me real sedated so i feel more tired than the pain, it gives me 5 hours of sleep, which is considered really good for me. you probably know what i mean. question: did the insomnia started together with the neck pain. in another words, do you think you cannot sleep cause of the neck pain??. if you read all my posts you can see it all started with the neck pain. what do you suggest me with the neck pain? do you suggest radio waves and if that's dangerous, i've never tried it. i have two bulging disks in my due to the car accident i was involved with.

Last edited by nochange; 01-22-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
    cme1017
    (female)

cme1017 HB User

I too have always been an insomniac. I'm a natural night owl (since I was a kid), but since I work during the day, I need to sleep at night. I've tried most of the sleep drugs - ambien, lunestra, trazadone, klonopin, xanax, and also herbal remedies - melatonin, valerian, along with the usual hot baths, meditation and yoga, and none of them do anything. Right now I am taking 50mg Seroquel, which is for depression (I have Bipolar 2), and this is the only thing that works and make me sleep. The bad side is that after 8 hours I'm groggy and really really tired the next day. If I get 12 hours (on a day off of work), it's great. But because of your condition, I would definitely check with a doctor about this. Good luck, I know how insomnia can ruin you.

Closed Thread