It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• hypnagogic hallucinations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
    haggismaker
    (male)

haggismaker HB User
    hypnagogic hallucinations

My 10 (nearly 11) year old daughter has started experiencing bizarre sensations when falling asleep (and waking) whereby her perceptions of the things around her lose all perspective, at once being too far away to touch (or disappearing into infinity) while simultaneously being so close and 'blubbery' (her word) that she feels nauseous. From what I've read this seems to be a form of hypnagogic hallucination. What can we do to help her? (I remember having similar terrifiying experiences at about the same age).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
    S.O.S.meansHELP
    (male)

S.O.S.meansHELP HB User
    Re: hypnagogic hallucinations

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haggismaker View Post
    My 10 (nearly 11) year old daughter has started experiencing bizarre sensations when falling asleep (and waking) whereby her perceptions of the things around her lose all perspective, at once being too far away to touch (or disappearing into infinity) while simultaneously being so close and 'blubbery' (her word) that she feels nauseous. From what I've read this seems to be a form of hypnagogic hallucination. What can we do to help her? (I remember having similar terrifiying experiences at about the same age).
    This is one of the first times I have heard an explanation of something I sometimes experience when falling asleep. Ever since I was a child, even more so when I was a child, my perception of things become funny, where things around the room almost feel like they are coming at me, or are larger or closer to me than they actually are. There are also times when I'm sleeping where things seem heavy, and I almost get dizzy and feel like I'm really small and all the things around me are larger. When I get this sort of dizziness, I become almost to the point of being nauseous.

I remember when I was a child, I would actually wake up and actually walk out of bed and see things like a cabinet or something, and was very very terrified of the object, as I felt like it was larger than normal and almost coming at me.

As for what helps with this, I am not sure, I've been searching all my life for an answer, and when I try to explain this to people, no one ever understands what I am talking about. This is one of the first times, I've ever heard of someone having some sort of experience somewhat similar to what I experience. Let me know if you ever figure out what is going on, and if you ever find any treatment, or explanation for this.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

What you both described can be symptoms of narcolepsy - just a thought.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
    light the world
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

light the world HB User

Get her to see a sleep doctor or a psychiatrist right away. If these are hallucinations they can get worse but to be honest I don't really think they are. But check with a psychiatrist anyways.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I used to have hypnogogic hallucinations in my 20s. It was quite severe and at the time, traumatic. I was prescribed trazadone, and this helped, but if I forgot to take it, it seemed to get worse. Luckily, this gradually went away. I would try to get help for your daughter, because these can be really scary and I would not wish them on anyone. I thought at one point I was becoming psychotic. Luckily, I haven't had this experience in several years.

Interestingly, when I hear people describe getting abducted by aliens, they seem to be exactly describing an experience with hypnogogic hallucinations. It feels like being paralyzed, but still awake enough to think you know what's going on and where you are. You cannot move your body and feel like someone is watching you or standing over you. It's crazy, I know, but I thought I would mention it.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
    ...Interestingly, when I hear people describe getting abducted by aliens, they seem to be exactly describing an experience with hypnogogic hallucinations. It feels like being paralyzed, but still awake enough to think you know what's going on and where you are. You cannot move your body and feel like someone is watching you or standing over you. It's crazy, I know, but I thought I would mention it.
    It's not crazy and I'm glad you mentioned it. Yes, we've had many cases of people describing the "alien" experience and it is important for us to try to understand how terrifying this must be. Researchers have recently come forward to say, basically, what you have said....this experience is very likely due to a sleep disorder.

Closed Thread