It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Can't sleep with boyfriend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
    Nicole85
    (female)

Nicole85 HB User
    Can't sleep with boyfriend

Hello all.
    My boyfriend's snoring has prgressively gotten worse over the 2 $ 1/2 years we've been dating. It's gotten so bad i have to sleep alone in the upstairs bedroom because his snoring is so loud. It even wakes me up after i've taken a potent sleeping pill. I've tried earplugs, fans, soft music, nothing works. we are supposed to go on vacation for an entire week soon, and there is no possible way i can go an entire week with no sleep. we've stayed a couple of nights before at hotels, and i get no sleep because of his snoring. one time we went on a short vacation and i had to end up sleeping on the hotel bathroom floor just to get away from his loud snoring & try to catch a couple hours of sleep. it was awful. i felt horrible. another time we spend 3 nights and i did not sleep the whole 3 days. needless to say i felt like crud. he refuses to go to the dr. to get it fixed also. but any suggestions on how to sleep with your bf who's snoring wakes the dead?? really need some advice, i don't want to back out of the vacation because of his snoring, and i seriously doubt he would pay for me my own hotel room. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
    Nicole85
    (female)

Nicole85 HB User
    Re: Can't sleep with boyfriend

WOW!!! Appreciate all the responses this site is TONS of help!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
    number 81
    (female)

number 81 HB User

usually people don't reply simply because they have no advice to offer.

snoring is actually a sign of troubled sleep and a major indecator of apnea. unfortunatly, your situation is one in which your boyfriend NEEDS to see a doctor. if he refuses then there is really not much you can do.

Last edited by number 81; 05-22-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

try the breathe-right nasal strips

Old 05-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
    Meeper
    (female)

Meeper HB User

Okay, this is something that your *boyfriend* needs to be dealing with. He has some sort of sleeping problem if he's snoring that loudly. My father has had similar issues for years and he suffers from a problem called Sleep Apnea. His breathing 'pauses' during sleep. With apnea, a person can even stop breathing for a short time. This can result various different problems... increased risk of high blood pressure, stroke, etc... I would suggest talking to your boyfriend about this further.

I agree with you. There is noway you can go a week without sleeping. No one can. You will have to get separate hotel rooms and sleep separately from here on out, if he is not willing to seek the help you both need on this.

Last edited by Meeper; 05-24-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
    Nicole85
    (female)

Nicole85 HB User

hello, thank you. i'm going to try again to talk to him about it. he gets mad when i bring it up & gets really angry at me when i tell him i'm worried about his health. tell me i'm embarrasing him. but i'm just trying to help, but he doesnt seem to understand that. guess we've got to talk about it some point before our vacation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meeper View Post
    Okay, this is something that your *boyfriend* needs to be dealing with. He has some sort of sleeping problem if he's snoring that loudly. My father has had similar issues for years and he suffers from a problem called Sleep Apnea. His breathing 'pauses' during sleep. With apnea, a person can even stop breathing for a short time. This can result various different problems... increased risk of high blood pressure, stroke, etc... I would suggest talking to your boyfriend about this further.

I agree with you. There is noway you can go a week without sleeping. No one can. You will have to get separate hotel rooms and sleep separately from here on out, if he is not willing to seek the help you both need on this.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

he's not willing to deal with it......

relationships have ended over less......

he sounds very selfish

Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
    Meeper
    (female)

Meeper HB User

Don't even bother talking to him, just end it. He sounds like a very selfish/nasty person who doesn't care much for anybody but himself. :P

Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
    mustlovecats
    (female)

mustlovecats HB User

Why don't you tape him when he's sleeping and show him how loud he is and he needs to do something about it? I did it with my husband, fortunately his snoring comes and goes and is not that bad, earplugs in my case did the trick.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

He doesn't get help because you are enabling him to keep on snoring and he has no consequences. You are the only one that is suffering so there must be some payoff for you to put up with this. This is a boyfriend not your lifetime husband or anything so why are you so afraid of him?...are you afraid he is going to leave you? or what's the deal? You need to figure out why you can't just stand up for yourself and if he isn't willing to get help then I would be walking away because who lives like this..I mean we spend half your life sleeping and sleeping is the time your body heals itself from the day. There is nothing you can do to make him do the right thing and he obviously doesn't care that much about you....Is he like over weight, or a heavy drinker or what is it that you are not saying? He has a problem ...you can't fix it. I guess you are going to have to decide if this is what you want for your life. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
    Nicole85
    (female)

Nicole85 HB User

hey there AnnD, you're so right about him. he doesn't care. i've asked him time after time again and he just claims he's just too busy with work to go get it taken care of. just his excuse. and yes, he is very heavy drinker. every single day he has to have several drinks. i don't know why i'm afraid of him, I never thought about this that way, but i guess i'm acting like i am afraid of him and he knows it. he claims he's so good to me but it's not true. like right now, i think he's out on a date. just have a gut feeling ya know. anyway, i don't know what the next step would be. we've known each other forever and been dating about 2 years. but if i have to think he's out with some other person every time he goes out then no man is worth that stress, plus that on top of having to sleep in the upstairs guest bedroom when i stay over there. i've practically been living there past several months, but this afternoon i got all my things out of there and am at my apt right now. oh, and its been 4 hours since he left me a vm saying he was going to a quick dinner with his "BROTHER". YEA RIGHT. BROTHER MY A$$. I don't know what the appropriate thing to say to him when he calls. that's where i'm confused. anyway, i know i went way off the subject of sleeping, but anyway.

Closed Thread