It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Any tips for DSPS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
    Carena
    (female)

Carena HB User
    Any tips for DSPS?

So after doing some ********* reading on Circadian rhythm disorders I finally came across the Delayed sleep phase syndrome article, and it was like reading about myself. It felt like someone just studied me for some time and wrote an article on my condition, you know?

Anyways, my biorythm is like this- AT BEST: I go to sleep 2:00 am, wake up 10:00 am, worst case ususally being 4:00 am, wake up 12:00pm but there were times it got even worse than that.

I was unable to make myself go to sleep earlier than 2:00 am in more than a year now.

I think I tried everything- chamomile tea, warm milk, not eating 3 hours before bed, eating 3 hours before bed, melatonin, dim lights....before I turned to valiums, bromazepams, lorazepams...etc. One time I even decided not to sleep AT ALL all night and stay awake all day so I thought I can then go to sleep at normal time. I walked around like a zombie all afternoon but soon after dusk my eyes were wide open and I still couldnt fall asleep till 2:00 am!

Oh well.

I was just wondering if there's anyone else here with the same condition and wanted to see if anyone got any tips maybe?

I really want to go to sleep no later than 1:00 am and wake up no later than 9:00 am....but I cant, no matter what I do , it sucks. Is this really that much to ask???? To just be able to fall asleep one hour earlier and wake up an hour earlier? lol.

So today I decided to buy the Highlander's Brown Rice tea from the health shop nearby. That's one thing I havent tried yet. Probably will not do much but thought I'll try it anyway.

Has anybody tried it? Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Carena; 06-08-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
    xFruitBatx
    (female)

xFruitBatx HB User
    Re: Any tips for DSPS?

There is so much mis-information on the internet.
    Basic sleep hygiene is very important, but it is not going to cure or help a serious case of DSPS like yours. Don't bother with the herbal remedies; they aren't going to do you any good.

My advice:
    -Stick to the melatonin and experiment with the dosage and timing. You may need more or less mg than what you have tried. Try the melatonin before bed, an hour or so before, or early on at around 5pm. Also, try different forms, such as sublingual or slow release melatonin.
    -Ever tried light therapy? It traditonally envolves three things: Melatonin and darkness in the evenings and bright sunlight in the mornings. This light is usually created by a lamp which simulates sunlight, often called a light box. I've seen many patients treated successfully this way. It may not 'cure' you (there is no true cure for DSPS), but it may allow you to lead a normal life.
    -If this really does not work, try heavier sedatives at night along with the melatonin.
    -Make your room as dark as possible when you sleep during the night. If you are up during the night, keep the lights very dim and do not do anything stimulating.
    -If absolutely nothing works, there is always chronotherapy. It's hell. But it works for many patients to re-set their internal clock.

I know exactly how frustrating it is to battle this. Good luck, and I hope you find something that helps!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
    Shogunnnn
    (male)

Shogunnnn HB User
    Re: Any tips for DSPS?

This is quite a late reply but just wanted to mention my experience with chronotherapy.

I have a severe case of DSPS as well and I have tried chronotherapy. It's extremely exhuasting and seemed almost never ending. When the cycle was over I relapsed within a week. So I tried again with a firmer resolve (better sleep hygene and no social events late on weekends afterwards). This only helped marginally as I relapsed just under 2 weeks.

As far as tips or combining treatments/remedies I have nothing...I've tried mostly everything except chinese herbal medicine but something tells me that won't make a difference either as some of the things I have tried were of a herbal/homeopathic nature.

I hope you have found something that works for you Carena.

Closed Thread