It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Severe insomnia Any help appreciated

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
    soleil63
    (female)

soleil63 HB User
    Severe insomnia Any help appreciated

Hi,
    I am writing on this board because I need some shared experience on insomnia medications. My dr. has tried Zyprexa for mania and for sleep as it is highly sedatiing. However we had to increase the dose to get me to sleep then I was a zombie not myself out of it. Allso have been put on Seroquel for severe depression and sleep worked great but I developed severe neuropathy called head parasthesia and had to stop it. I have been on Ambien now it only works for 3 hours then I am awake. I have also taken Sonata. Now I am on klonopin and with the combination of ambien I sleep thru the night.

Anyone have any shared experiences on this. I am on 1 mg of klonopin a very low dose. I have heard after a while you develop a tolerance and have to raise the dose. I have also tried trazadone for sleep does nothing for me.

Last edited by soleil63; 06-30-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Severe insomnia Any help appreciated

hello. I also have severe insomnia. I can go months without sleeping.
    With benzo's meds you will need to increase the dose just like pain meds, so I was told. There is a maximum amount the doctor is authorized to prescribe you, you need to know. I take now benzo for sleep one and a half pill a night. doctor has authorized me to take up to 2. you know how many hours i'm sleeping now? it's 1-3 hours,that's all. I'm not sure what will happen when I develop a tolerance to this dose. I believe with any sleep meds you will need to increase the dose. It's a never ending story. Some people have success with melatonin, it didn't help me a bit, but you can try it. tyneol pm you can try also. I just don't know what to tell you anymore, i'm lost with this also. it's been like that for 3.6 years with no improvement. I can't fall asleep naturally at all as I used to be.
    I hope i don't sound rude but why cannot you sleep?, I cannot sleep cause of chronic pain, it just won't let me fall asleep at all.

Last edited by nochange; 06-30-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
    Matt1792
    (male)

Matt1792 HB User

Hi Soleil,
    I tried a lot of meds for insomnia until I was prescribed mirtazapine for depression, taken at night. It takes ~1 hour to take effect, then you are asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. Strangely, its more sedating at low dose (15mg) than at high dose. I take 45mg 1 hour before I want to sleep & still after 5 years use it works like a charm. Also with the high dose you get less next-day sedation & less weight gain. Plus its non-addictive.
    Hope this helps,
    Peace & love,
    Matty :-)

Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Matt1792, are you still taking remeron for sleep? Is it still working? Did you have weight gain w/it?

I'm thinking about seroquel, but then read your post.

Of course i really, really don't want weight gain, but i hear you have that w/seroquel as well.

I appreciate any information you can give me.

Thank you,
    Salty

Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
    JimB
    (male)

JimB HB User

I've tried most everything available for insomnia, including combinations, and I haven't found anything that works reliably over the long term. I've just come to accept the fact that I have a chronic sleep disorder, and try to make the most of it. I've read that some people have better luck than I've had. Right now, I'm taking 5mg Ambien at bedtime, and another 5mg when I wake up in the middle of the night. Sometimes I get pleasantly surprised when it actually works, and I go through the day with energy to spare, although I can't be sure it is the Ambien working or maybe I would have had a good night without it. If only I could get more of those days, I'd be very happy.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Jim Bronson, it's horrible not to be able to sleep all the time. I've been through this vicious circle for already 4 years. Zolpidem/ambien didn't help me. I also tried valium/diazepam with no success. My doctor told me his patients sleep 16 hours with it but I couldn't sleep a moment. I'm still looking for solutions and didn't accept it yet.

lunestra used to work in the past but now it doesn't.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
    JimB
    (male)

JimB HB User

I think I'll try Ambien CR again. It is 12.5 mg, and is time release. I don't expect it to work any better than it did in the past, but I'm willing to try it again. I always hoped there might be a combination of over-the-counter and prescription meds that might work. Lunesta worked for a while, but I built up a tolerance and it stopped working. I'm guessing the same thing happened with Ambien, but it's better than nothing, so I keep taking it. Someday maybe they'll come up with a new drug that works better and doesn't have the tolerance problem.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jim bronson, as usual, I'm getting worst. I was only able to sleep 1-2 hours yesterday.

I'm going to the sleep clinic, but how can they help me getting any better?.
    I mean, every sleeping meds I've tried wears off eventually.

You know, I've also tried drinking less coffee in the morning(used to drink 3 cups and now I only drink one cup but that doesn't help!). and I only drink at 9:00am. I wonder what else can help with that. Even milk doesn't help. I also don't eat chocolate/caffeine I stopped it. I bet it's the chronic pain.
    I'm feeling so tired, like my body wants to sleep but I can't. the pain won't let me sleep.

Last edited by nochange; 08-29-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Jim, i feel the same way. Thank you for writing. I'm doing just what you are doing w/the 5mg plus a small amount of generic klon.

It's working okay, not great, but okay.

Salty

Closed Thread