It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Sleep Study questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
    mabent
    Veteran
    (female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User
    Sleep Study questions

Hi everyone! I am scheduled for a sleep study next week, and I am afraid that I won't be able to fall asleep! I can't find any information about this on the Internet. 'They' say that you will eventually fall asleep; but I know that with all those wires, strange bed, etc. plus knowing that I must fall asleep will keep me awake!! I usually take a mild sleeping pill to help me fall asleep when I am at home...
    Has anyone had a sleep study done who usually has difficulty falling asleep?
    Thanks. Mabent

The following user gives a hug of support to mabent:
    ginger spice (10-21-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: Sleep Study questions

YES! It took me FOREVER to fall asleep and they told me on the paperwork NOT to bring my sleep aid! So thats why I didn't fall asleep until 2 am. BUt the dr. at the study place said I should have brought it. Then did didn't have enough hours to evaluate me and wanted me to come back and I said forget it. It was hard enough for me to get there in the first place plus I have fibro myalgia. The bed was so hard. Hate to freak you out but I am not one to fall asleelp easily. Take you sleep aid WITH YOU!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
    mabent
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for that info, CJ - That's exactly how I have pictured it!!!!
    Maybe they are afraid that the person will take the sleep aid before leaving home and fall asleep at the wheel? Whatever ----I will take it with me. At home I take it and am still able to wake up easily and get up to let my dog out in the middle of the night. I'm still scared, but not as much - thanks to you! What caused you to decide to take the sleep test in the first place?
    Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
    ginger spice
    (female)

ginger spice HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mabent View Post
    Hi everyone! I am scheduled for a sleep study next week, and I am afraid that I won't be able to fall asleep! I can't find any information about this on the Internet. 'They' say that you will eventually fall asleep; but I know that with all those wires, strange bed, etc. plus knowing that I must fall asleep will keep me awake!! I usually take a mild sleeping pill to help me fall asleep when I am at home...
    Has anyone had a sleep study done who usually has difficulty falling asleep?
    Thanks. Mabent
    Hi there fellow sleep study bud,
    I am going to a sleep lab next week too. I do not sleep..up all night. It would be awesome
    to actually sleep in the sleep.I dread being in the hospital awake all night. They will be testing for sleep apnea,since I can't sleep, I do not snore.Go fig.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
    sleeplessinky
    (female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Ginger, When I had my sleep study they gave me Ambien and I fell right to sleep. Tell them you won't be able to sleep without some help. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to sleeplessinky:
    The Following User Says Thank You to sleeplessinky For This Useful Post:
    Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
    sleeplessinky
    (female)

sleeplessinky HB User
    Smile Re: Sleep Study questions

Mabent, Sorry, I called you Ginger. I'm confused tonight. Of course, that's the result of not sleeping.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
    ginger spice
    (female)

ginger spice HB User
    Talking Re: Sleep Study questions

Hey sleeplessinsky!! They told me at Mayo to take one Ambien tomorrow night at the sleep lab in their hospital. However, Ambien no longer helps me, nor does Lunesta. The only rx I am taking for insomnia is tradnazone and it sure has not done a thing.I started at 50mg and am up to 100 mg.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #8
    sleeplessinky
    (female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Hi Ginger, I just sent you a long message in your other post. I re-wrote it because I didn't see it posted. Problem is that I still don't see it. I hope that it's just taking a few minutes but it will be there. In short, I suggested that you call the sleep lab and explain to them aobut the ambien and ask that they give you something else. I also explained in the other post all about the sleep study.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
    mabent
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks very much for your informative post, Sleepless! I cancelled my appointment for the sleep study - or rather, I postponed it - because I couldn't imagine being connected to all those wires, etc. and not being able to take my sleeping pill! I usually take 1/2 Trazadone nightly, and that has helped me sleep. If I am away from home, I take diazapam; so, that is what I would take the night of my sleep study.
    What were the results of your sleep study, since you don't snore?? Did they find any problem? I'm assuming that you don't use a mask at night?
    Thanks again! Mabent

Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
    sleeplessinky
    (female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Hi Mabent, The result of my sleep study was mild sleep apnea, for which I'm now being treated with CPAP. Using the mask has made matters worst as far as the insomnia is
    concerned. You don't need to worry about the wires. There's lots of them but they are all connected together and you won't even notice them. I didn't. I was perfectly comfortable. Before you go to bed the tech puts a lot of **** on different parts of your body including your head because they check brain waves along with many other things. It's all really a piece of cake. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep either without help but I told the sleep doctor and he prescribed ambien for me. If I were you, if you decide to go ahead and do it I would call ahead and tell them you need a sleeping aid, and if Lorazapan works for you, they'll probably give that to you.
    I hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
    mabent
    Veteran
    (female)

" Using the mask has made matters worst as far as the insomnia is
    concerned."
    ________________________________________ ______________________
    Hi again, Sleepless - Thanks again. I'm kind of confused about how you could have fallen asleep at the Sleep Center but are unable to sleep in your own bed? Do you usually take a sleeping pill at home to help you sleep?
    I've had several people tell me that they cannot get comfortable with their sleep mask; but, I have also heard that now there are better masks and that some people can't sleep without the mask and take it with them on trips, etc.

How did you know that you had mild sleep apnea? How long did you stay asleep at the Sleep Center? Sorry about asking so many questions!
    Mabent

Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
    sleeplessinky
    (female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Hi again Mabent, The reason I slept at the sleep center and not at home is because I rarely take a sleeping pill at home. They gave me a 10 mg ambien and I slept a little over 5 hours. I don't take ambien much at home because I don't like the feeling I have the next day. Also, I'm careful not to be dependent on pills. I keep them on hand for emergencies, like when I absolutely have to sleep or go crazy.
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when I had the sleep study. Then, they did another sleep study to try out the mask and the CPAP machine. I slept good that night too with an ambien. Then, when I got home, it was another story. The first mask didn't work at all. The second one is o.k. The problem is I had insomnia before I started treatment and I have insomnia after treatment. Obviously the sleep apnea is not what's causing the insomnia. I hope that this answers your questions

Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
    mabent
    Veteran
    (female)

It did! and thank you again very much! I know what you mean about not wanting to depend on sleeping pills for sleep. I take 1/2 trazadone each night, which helps me relax. It is not a narcotic and not habit-forming.
    I only take valium during stressful times (when I can't stop worrying about something). Thankfully, these times are rare.
    I plan to have the sleep test sometime after the holidays and will let you know what I think of it! Best of luck to you! Mabent

Closed Thread