It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Newbie insomniac; advice welcome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
    ginger spice
    (female)

ginger spice HB User
    Question Newbie insomniac; advice welcome

Hi all!I am the newbie of the night. My formidable foe, insomnia, is currently winning the war. I currently get no sleep at all so haven't slept in months. Next Fri, I am going to a sleep lab to be checked for sleep apnea. Seems silly as I don't sleep; therefore I can not snore. Maybe when they look at my REM sleep and see it is none existent, they will believe me.

I used to take Ambien in Jan. and it worked for 3 months. It quit working and Lunesta never worked. I take a baby dose of trazadone 50mg and it does not help.

Any ideas how I can get any sleep?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Newbie insomniac; advice welcome

hello. yes, you can try to take clonazepam. I was on it for a logn time and it worked.
    I had to take high dose 4mg before sleep.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
    Frank Furter
    (male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
    Exclamation Re: Newbie insomniac; advice welcome

Wow, really???

I heard somewhere that the human body can go about 3 weeks with no sleep at all afterwhich it's fatal. Maybe you sleep so lightly that you don't realize you're asleep, like you're in a trance(sp?) or something.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

That is no true cause there was a time I only fell asleep once in 6 months and that was 2 years in a row.
    I knew I did not sleep casue I was listening all the time to the radio. So it was not a light sleep. It was no sleep at all.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
    Frank Furter
    (male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
    Exclamation Re: Newbie insomniac; advice welcome

Well, in your mind it was no sleep. You were probably in a trance like state. Or possibly just unaware you were asleep.

Last edited by Frank Furter; 10-26-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Check out all my posts. What, you don't believe I did not sleep for 2 years in a row?
    I know I did not sleep. Every 6 months I was able to sleep for 6 hours and that's all.
    It all started after a car accident in which I had a whiplash. Do you know what is a whiplash? Since then I suffer from chronic pain in the neck and I cannot rest my neck on the pillow without feeling pain. The pain won't let me sleep.
    I am now somewhat better and can sleep for 5 hours without sleeping pills. I tapered my self from sleeping pills. Instead I take gabapentin that put me to sleep for 5 hours.
    I believe gabapentin is also for sleep but it is not addictive.
    So please believe me I did not sleep for 2 years. I listened to the radio all the time.
    Then I took all the sleeping pills in the market or at least most of them.
    and now tapered myself.
    Car accidents are not good for you. wish they never invented cars. They cause more damage than good.
    By the way, before the accident I was able to sleep for 8-9 hours like a normal human being. Doctors said it's a trigger but I say it's nonsense cause the pain is the reason I was not able to sleep.
    and believe it or not, all this time I was drinking 4-5 cup of coffee in order to function.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
    rube446
    (female)

rube446 HB User

I get that. It really does feel like your aren't sleeping. My husband tells me I was sleeping, but I could hear everything going on. I haven't had months of issues yet, but it's going on 3 weeks now of consistent not sleeping well. Although, it's been years on and off. It's really annoying. I'm so tired and crabby. I feel for you all that haven't had great sleep in months or years.

Last edited by rube446; 11-02-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
    Garota
    (female)

Garota HB User

I take alteril, which has tryptophan, and Fish oil (with Omega3). Has pretty much cured the insomnia.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
    senior41
    (male)

senior41 HB Usersenior41 HB Usersenior41 HB User

You might try vitamin D gel capsules; I take 1000 IU twice a day. My primary physician prescribed it because I had a blood test which revealed a higher than normal Calcium level. I began taking it a little over a year ago. A couple of months later my sleep somehow improved; I didn't understand why but I was grateful because I was bothered by insomnia for more than 3 years. A few weeks ago I read an article which said that Vitamin D could improve sleep.

senior41
    11/15/2011

Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
    53Jack
    (male)

53Jack HB User

Hi Ginger,
    I'm an insomniac as well. I went to a sleep clinic 8 months ago for a single night. According to their results I did get 4 hrs of REM sleep out of the 8 hrs I was there, but it was so scattered and brief that at the debrief 6 weeks later I was told that basically I wasn't asleep long enough at any given time for them to get any useable data. This was a sleep studies clinic and they collect data. They have made no comment to my doctor regarding diagnosis, treatment or referral.
    You have perhaps read my earlier posts where I take Zopiclone to knock off for a few hours. It's the only thing that works for me. Whether it's addictive or not I don't care. It works for me. I don't really have a life but I'm alive and there's always hope. Good luck to you, Ginger, I hope somebody gives enough of a **** for you to dig deep and find what the problem is and to fix you up.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
    ginger spice
    (female)

ginger spice HB User

Thanks, 53Jack, for your response. I am glad zopiclone works for you. I would gladly try it, as I don't sleep at all and found all the sleep lab cared about was sleep apnea. I don't have sleep apnea since I can't sleep. I looked up zopiclone and it seems it is not available in USA. It doesn't look promising that I will ever fall asleep again.

Closed Thread