It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Tongue Biting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2002, 11:00 PM   #1
    dckee

dckee HB User
    Post Tongue Biting

Problem: I am now biting the sides of my tongue terribly when asleep. It does not seem to matter wheither I lying flat on my back, lying on either side or sitting up.
    Background: I recently (last 10 days) have undergone sinus surgery after 8 years of suffering, the past year part of the suffering included sleep disorders.
    Possible Reason (for tongue biting): I am now having to breath through my mouth (sinus' still too swollen to breath through nose). Perhaps biting tongue while attempting to swallow &/or close mouth? BTW-mouth & tongue real dry.
    Does anyone know what to do to keep this from happening? Would be most abliged....

The following user gives a hug of support to dckee:
    jrobi60317 (09-30-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2002, 08:03 AM   #2
    fireball15

fireball15 HB User
    See your dentist about maybe getting an applance to wear at night, that may help.

Old 02-05-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
    sally04609

sally04609 HB User
    I have had the same problem for over 4 years now. My dentist thought it was related to stress, but didn't offer any other help. I'm sure it's psychological in origin since it doesn't occur consistently every night. I wear a mouth guard like athletes use to bed at night, and this helps a bit. I have found, though, that I still bite my tongue, only now just the bottom teeth make contact. It still hurts and I still bleed. If anyone has conquered this problem I would love to hear about it.

Closed Thread