It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Can't sleep but don't want drugs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2001, 05:07 AM   #1
    Wibs

Wibs HB User
    Post Can't sleep but don't want drugs

I can't sleep. I've been up all night - the worst night in a slowing increasing inability to get off to sleep at night, which has gone on now for several weeks.

I know there are drugs out there that will help me to sleep, but until a few months ago I was on 150mg Efexor per day for depression and the side effects were worse than the problem, and I don't want to go down that road again.

My employer has just brought me to America for work and I'm now stuck here contractually for a year. However, I've got no anxiety about the whole war on terrorism thing that TV pundits have said is causing a lot of sleeplessness at the moment.

A couple of times recently I've downed large quantities of wine to send me off, but this is another bad road to go down.

Can anyone suggest ways (other than drink & drugs) to get me to sleep?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2002, 09:44 PM   #2
    McDee

McDee HB User
    Try a Dehumidifier running in your room for noise. It helps me sometimes, but drives the wife nuts.

Old 01-07-2002, 05:59 AM   #3
    Jentle

Jentle HB User
    Alcohol is the worst thing to do when you have a sleeping disorder. My husband has suffered for years from apnea. He even had surgery to remove excess flesh from throat and tongue and his apnea got worse. By accident he found that benadryl was helping tremedously. He was finally able to get to REM. Eventually the benadryl seemed to keep him not so sharp during awake hours also. He is finally drug free after getting on a good vitamin regimen with, anti-oxidants and a grape seed extract supplement. His mind is sharper than ever and he is sleeping the best he has in years.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:01 AM   #4
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    Benadryl aka diphenhydramine is often used to help people sleep. Is is an antihistamine that you can buy over the counter in the allergy medication section but has the side effect of drowziness. Also you may want to check out if perhaps your sleeplessness is a side effect from having taken the Effexor. Running a fan at night is also a good trick to try to help you get to sleep. Meditation is another thing that works for some people. The poster that mentioned the multivitamin supplement, antioxidants, and grape seed extract is also on the right track too as improper nutrition can play a part in this. Do a search for Provex out on the web and see what comes up. Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
    reeny

reeny HB User
    As others have stated please STAY AWAY from drugs/alcohol to get to sleep. It may eventually cause just the opposite effect, not to mention addiction. Also, alcohol/drugs result in a lack of REM sleep which is absolutely necessary for well-being/good health. Try a much healthier alternative like better nutrition - more foods like fruits/veggies/whole wheat grains and less processed foods like fast-food/frozen premade stuff. Also, exercise is great as long as it is done at least 4 hours before your planned bedtime. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2002, 02:26 AM   #6
    Brices31

Brices31 HB User
    Well I can tell in my practice I've found that it's a time that most teenagers go through. Almost a part of growing up. Try to do more things during the day, and avoid coffee and too much soda as much as possable. when going to sleep, put your self in the most relaxing climate you can find. For some people this in the couch, others this is in their own beds. What works for you. i recommend, a light sound, like a tv, for a radio. when you close your eye try to focus on "nothing" in other words... blank everything out.. it's easier then it sounds just give it a shot.

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 03-01-2002).]

Closed Thread