It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Its 4 in the morning and I just broke my clock.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
    I giveup
    (male)

I giveup HB User
    Its 4 in the morning and I just broke my clock.

Hi everyone,

This is a site I hoped I'd never have to post to, but here I am, unfortunately.

Tonight, I've been in bed since 12, been trying to sleep since 1 (this is my routine). If I'm not asleep within 10 minutes I know I'm screwed, but I still try to sleep, and as the night progresses I get more and more angry. Everyone else in the house gets to sleep just perfectly, but I can't. So I start punching the bed and just now I broke my first clock.

This started on Monday, November 18th, 2013. I had a statistics test on Tuesday, so I went to bed early to be well-rested. I didn't get to sleep till 4 that night, naturally. Same exact thing that tuesday night, except I was alot more tired, and the wednesday test was calculus. In bed by 12, asleep by 4.

If I do get to sleep, my family wakes me up at ~5 with their loudness, ~3 hours before I need to be up.

More info: too light of a sleeper.
    If I don't get enough sleep, I break out in acne and have gastrointestinal issues the next day.
    I'm guaranteed to not be able to sleep 1 to 4 nights a week. Happens on both week days and week ends. This rate is consistent since nov. 2013.
    I'm absolutely exhausted, still doesn't matter.

What keeps me up is that I keep replaying songs in my head I've heard throughout the day. At what time in the day should I stop listening to music? 4 hours before bed? Also, I have the urge to urinate even though I really don't have to. Then, body starts to itch just to make it harder.

Things I've tried:
    Hot shower before bed.
    Melatonin.
    el tryptophan
    benedryl
    Red-light therapy.
    White noise (I have an old air-conditioning fan on, which failed me for the first time tonight.)

I don't:
    Exercise before bed
    Eat before bed,
    drink alcohol before bed

My mom wants to take me to a doctor, who will prescribe pills.

What should I do now?

It annoys me. For the first 20 years of my life, up until that week in November, I had no problem falling asleep. Now it seems this is the new norm.

Thanks for reading, and sleep well -.-

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2014 at 04:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
    dcguy
    (male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User
    Re: Its 4 in the morning and I just broke my clock.

Sounds like maybe your tests were making you anxious and keeping you awake, but certainly the music playing over and over in your heard won't help either. What kind of music is it exactly?

You could try taking naps in the afternoon if possible, or try some ear plugs so your family doesn't wake you up.

I know it's hard to accept something may be "wrong" with your body but if this problem is getting in the way of your life/school, then don't be afraid to try some prescription sleeping pills for a while. Most are relatively harmless if you use them short term to help get your sleep rhythms back in sync. Most of the over the counter stuff is not strong enough (I've been there).

Also, you say you don't eat/drink before bed, but how long are we talking about? What about anything with sugar, like sodas? Anything with caffeine? That's a big one. Caffeine can stay in your body for up to 8 hours, so don't drink anything with caffeine after 2 or 3pm.

The gastro issues could be anxiety related. You won't have those problems just from a lack of sleep. Acne breakouts are also probably stress related. You might need an all-day chill pill like Xanax XR or Klonpin for that (these can also sometimes help with sleep if taken at night).

Or it could just be at your stage in life you have an overactive mind, which may be normal, and will go away on its own eventually. Try reading a book before bed, it's a good way to distract your mind rather than the music.

Last edited by dcguy; 03-18-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
    I giveup
    (male)

I giveup HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcguy View Post
    Sounds like maybe your tests were making you anxious and keeping you awake, but certainly the music playing over and over in your heard won't help either. What kind of music is it exactly?

You could try taking naps in the afternoon if possible, or try some ear plugs so your family doesn't wake you up.

I know it's hard to accept something may be "wrong" with your body but if this problem is getting in the way of your life/school, then don't be afraid to try some prescription sleeping pills for a while. Most are relatively harmless if you use them short term to help get your sleep rhythms back in sync. Most of the over the counter stuff is not strong enough (I've been there).

Also, you say you don't eat/drink before bed, but how long are we talking about? What about anything with sugar, like sodas? Anything with caffeine? That's a big one. Caffeine can stay in your body for up to 8 hours, so don't drink anything with caffeine after 2 or 3pm.

The gastro issues could be anxiety related. You won't have those problems just from a lack of sleep. Acne breakouts are also probably stress related. You might need an all-day chill pill like Xanax XR or Klonpin for that (these can also sometimes help with sleep if taken at night).

Or it could just be at your stage in life you have an overactive mind, which may be normal, and will go away on its own eventually. Try reading a book before bed, it's a good way to distract your mind rather than the music.
    Hi dcguy, thanks for the reply.

The tests definitely had me worried, I just don't understand why the inability to calm my mind/sleep has infected non test nights too.
    I listen to anything at all, except extremely screamo/metal songs and country. But the music I listen to is generally quick and exciting.

How would naps help? Would they not leave me less tired at night? I've never taken a nap in my life (well since kindergarten), I don't think I'd be able to if I tried. I find ear plugs distracting, if not uncomfortable, and they inhibit sleep for that reason.

I am worried about pills due to side effects and dependency, but it looks like I'm going to go that route.

I don't eat anything after 10, and don't drink anything after 12. I don't drink coffee or soda.

I will have to research both Xanax XR and Klonpin, thanks for pointing them out.

I like to think that I'll be better after college (only a year to go). And, I never thought about reading a book. Maybe that'll be able to do the job.

dcguy, thank you for your input/advice, I appreciate it

Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I have a hard time too. What works for me is counting BACKWARDS from 100. If you mess up you have to start from beginning. AND its not a race . Hope that helps. Cathy.

Closed Thread