It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• extremely sleep deprived - anything i can do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
    jamaldb93
    (male)

jamaldb93 HB User
    Exclamation extremely sleep deprived - anything i can do?

Hi everyone new user here. I've had insomnia for a little more than 2 years...ever since my acid reflux started waking me up at night. I've been building up an enormous sleep debt, needless to say, for that period of time, but it was bearable until now. I've had corrective surgery for my reflux,but it has come back this week and kept me up for two days.
    I woke up this morning the most exhausted I've ever been in my life. I was awake, but I was so tired I was still dreaming and couldn't get fully conscious, like I was hallucinating. A voice in my head told me to go back into the dream and never wake up...it was terrifying. I woke up and attempted to drive to my dads Christmas party. I started to feel faint and it was getting hard to breathe. I hurried home trying to concentrate and not faint and I've been bed ridden all day. What do I do?? I haven't seen a neurologist yet or gotten any brain scans...and I'm also still waiting on the results of my sleep study. Is there anyone I can go to for relief, maybe even the ER? I don't know how much longer I'm gonna last. I feel like a zombie and my brain feels numb.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
    rebecca70
    (female)

rebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB User
    Re: extremely sleep deprived-anything i can do?

I'm so sorry to hear about your lack of sleep. Several Years ago I had a serious insomnia problem after surgery for a broken ankle .Staying up all night was driving me crazy till a friend gave me some valium. Now I know it's not advisable to use meds from another person but I was really desperate.
    It put me to sleep! Now when I can't sleep I use 5mg. of ambien or melatonin.
    I hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
    jamaldb93
    (male)

jamaldb93 HB User

Thanks for the reply! I'll talk to my doctor about valium next week. Any idea if it's any better than ativan (lorazepam)? I was on the smallest dosage for about a month.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
    rebecca70
    (female)

rebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB User

I don't know anything about Ativan but whatever you take. it might restore your natural sleep cycle so after a while you won't need anything. So far I'm using ambien at this time I know from what I read that it has some negative effects but I think not sleeping would have a worse effect.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you tried benedryl?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I have had good luck with Lunesta.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 AM   #7
    jamaldb93
    (male)

jamaldb93 HB User

I've had benadryl 1 time from an ER trip combined with Ativan and that was a real tranquilizer. I meant to get some benedryl since I have Ativan. Also I might try lunesta now that you've said something. I don't like the side effects of ambien. Too extensive of a list.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamaldb93 For This Useful Post:
    cetiya (01-08-2015)
    Old 01-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

Watch it with the Ativan or any other benzodiazepine. They are highly addictive and very difficult to get off once you've been on them for a while (been there, done that). And once you're off, your insomnia can be much worse than it was before.

I get that you're exhausted and need to sleep, but please reconsider taking a benzo.

When I came off my 15 year Ativan addiction, my ND gave me L-Tryptophan by prescription, and the maximum dose of that (4 grammes) combined with valerian, passionflower and St. John's Wort eventually got me sleeping again, at least on and off. Two years later I am much better, though I still have bad nights.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
    jamaldb93
    (male)

jamaldb93 HB User

Thanks for telling me that. I'll definitely look into natural remedies. My reflux has calmed down so I have been able to get a couple of good night sleeps. Although I'd still like to keep some Ativan around for those days that sleep is just not going to happen...like tonight.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

There doesn't seem to be any harm in taking the odd Ativan (and like you I found it very effective for my insomnia -- it can be a blessing). Just watch out for a tendency to take them more than once a week or so.

Closed Thread