It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Slow heartbeat after quitting

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
    alwyzscrd
    (male)

alwyzscrd HB User
    Slow heartbeat after quitting

I stopped my pack to pack and a half daily habit about ten days ago. I've noticed my heart rate has been in the low sixties and high fifties while resting. Is this related some how? Will it go away? I'm not athletic or exercise so I don't see another reason for such a low heart rate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Slow heartbeat after quitting

That's in the low normal range so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Obviously smoking was elevating it. If it really bothers you, drink a caffienated drink.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alwyzscrd View Post
    I stopped my pack to pack and a half daily habit about ten days ago.
    Congratulations on quitting smoking! That will give you more money in your pocket. Quitting smoking was easy for me. I was able to do it hundreds of times! I hope you are successful. When I was finally able to quit, it took eight years before I didn't miss it anymore.

Quote:
    I've noticed my heart rate has been in the low sixties and high fifties while resting. Is this related some how? Will it go away?
    Cigarettes contain many harsh chemicals. Your system is probably going thru some kind of withdrawal symptoms. From what I have read, lungs will recovery fully from the damage of smoking, but it takes years!

I'm 74 and have had heart failure and AFib since 1987. My heart doesn't want to beat correctly EVER! To determine if I am getting better or worse, I am always conscious of either an increase or decrease in symptoms. As long as I don't suffer from breathing problems, or chest pains, or increased beating problems, during exercise, rest or sleep, I know that I am doing just fine!

Quote:
    I'm not athletic or exercise so I don't see another reason for such a low heart rate.
    Even with heart failure, I do significant exercises during the day at my home. I've got two 10 pound hand weights and I do four different types of lifts about 900 times per day, plus 750 "weighted" knee bends, in three different exercise sessions, plus working out on my stationary bike. Why? You would not believe how much better you would feel if you exercised. Next to healthy diet, exercise is the best medication you can have!

You are on the road quite a bit. That means that you are exposed to lots of exhaust fumes that can effect your body in many ways.

Good luck quitting cigarettes! That will be great for you and also for your family!

Regards, Bob

⇒ My cheap asthma inhaler is Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
    alwyzscrd
    (male)

alwyzscrd HB User

Thanks for the info guys. Wow! Heart failure since '87? That's crazy. Keep up the great work.

Reply Reply