It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Weight Gain Issues related to stopping smoking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
    Invincible

Invincible HB User
    Weight Gain Issues related to stopping smoking

I think this thread really needs to be started!

I stopped smoking on the 13th of November (around 3.5 weeks ago) and I have put on 6/7 pounds already. I now weigh 10 stones and 10 lbs (and I was already slightly overweight anyway!)

My ideal weight is around 9stones 9-12 lbs.

I now only have a couple of items of clothing that fits me! :-( so I really want to get some motivation to start making the effort to loosing some weight.) - another couple of pounds and all I'll have to wear are my bed sheets LOL!

OK - I am going to attempt to eat sensibly from tomorrow (for the past few weeks, I've been feasting like food was going out of fashion). This weight gain has to stop now!

I feel so fat and ugly - yuck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User
    Re: Weight Gain Issues related to stopping smoking

[email protected] - I'm right there with ya Invinc - but mine was gained mainly before I quit because I was starting and stopping again and was out of control. I started walking last night with my neighbor. We walked a little over 2 miles and are walking again tomorrow after work. We would've went tonight but it was raining too hard. So tonight I will do my pilates.

Now if you look back over the last umteen years that we USED TO smoke - we've put on weight here and there and lost it. So we just have to act like nothing has changed and lose this weight. I know here and there while I was smoking before over the years I would put on weight and then take it off. I'll do it the same way again.

So - let's get hot. You know what we should do - weigh in each week and see who makes the most progress. Maybe this way we'll be more motivated or won't FORGET to exercise. LOL

Right now I'm at 165lbs. and I need to be at 150lbs. is my ultimate - I might be happy with 155lbs. though. We'll see.

Laurie

Old 12-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
    NcGirl
    (female)

NcGirl HB User

I agree with you on that LL29, I too have put on weight since I have stopped smoking, 1 WEEk TODAY.. wooo hooo.. I have started walking with a friend as well and it feels good to be able to walk alittle father than I did when I smoked.. lol it will take some time but I will beat this.. my quit date was picked at the wrong time, cause I am also dealing with the PMS.. LMAO.. so it's even worse for me.. grrrr.. but it will pass..
    Sherry

Old 12-11-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Laurie, Invinc, NcGirl--

LL--Act like nothing's changed huh? Ahahahahaheheheeehhhee You are FUNNY! Before when i wanted to lose a few lbs, I would just jack up my smoking....want a donut?...go have a ciggy! Whoa, this is gonna be hard alright!!
    I 've gained up to 8 lbs on this quit, now it's down to 6. I'm 143 right now. 137 is perfect for me. This is really hard right now with the holidays coming!! It seems like all of us girls who smoked are so darn weight concious. I always wondered...had I never smoked, what my weight would be today? I'd probably be a bigger girl, ya know?
    Okay LL, like the weigh-in idea...what day of the week do you think we should? (not Mondays, we go out to eat on weekends) Thanks for starting this thread Invinc--it looks like it was much needed!
    So what can we do now to replace the smoking? Hey I know...s*x? Sounds GOOD to me!! LOL

Deda (who's wondering if there's anything fun left?)

Old 12-11-2003, 02:17 AM   #5
    Invincible

Invincible HB User

Ha ha - Laurie, NcGirl, Deda - you all ROCK!!

Sex is a very good idea Deda :-) But now I feel like I don't want my b/f grabbing at my love handles he he!!

From the sounds of it, we all need to loose similar amounts of weight - I guess I want to loose around 14 pounds in total (and become lighter than the weight I was when I gave up). The bad news is, I thought I was 10 stones & 10 lbs ... but I weighed myself this morning without clothes, and I was 10stones 12lbs!! -- *Gasp!*

I expect it will take a few months to loose that weight, I'm not too good at eating small meals, I need to eat a lot (of good food).. but add a lot more exercise. I have very slight low blood pressure, so I need to eat regulary to stop feeling weak.

I know there's a part of me that irrationally believes that smoking helps me to loose weight, but in reality, I know that even when I was a smoker, I would have binge days and put on weight. (Weight has always been an issue with me, even as a child).

Time for strategys!!!

OK, I think I will attempt a combination of the Atkins and Dr Perricone diet - high protein, low carb, adding plenty of fish and veggies etc..

I want to walk but I'm in the UK and it raines and rains and rains .. I'm not good in the cold!

I've not been to my excercise classes in the last couple of weeks either - it's all bad really, the more weight I put on, the less inclined I am to exercise! I think if I can eat very sensibly (stay away from cakes, biscuits and chocolate and stuff...) for the next few days, I will hit the gym on Monday - right now, I feel too wobbly!

OK - here's a short term goal - I eat sensibly for the next 4 days and then hit the gym on Monday - I think once I start doing excercise properly, it will help, but right now, I want to loose just a couple of pounds b4 I get going..

You all in? What tactics will you be using?

Boiled eggs for breakfast to start today of with!

Sorry for the rambling ... but it's so great to have you all here :-) I feel very supported, thanks everyone!

Have a great day!

Old 12-11-2003, 07:20 AM   #6
    Invincible

Invincible HB User

PFFFFtttt! I broke my diet already!

OK, start again tomorrow! But whatever happens - I am a NON-SMOKER!!

Old 12-11-2003, 08:28 AM   #7
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

Laurie smacks Invinc up side the head for cheatin on her diet on the first day. LOL You know you can't do that - STOP THE MADNESS ALREADY! LOL

I'm somewhat like you Invinc where I want to eat whatever and I'll kick up the exercise. I will def. tell you that the Atkins works. I lost 8 lbs. in one week before and you can eat all you want. I just got tired of it. I'm doing the walking thing and yes it does help that my neighbor is walking with me or I'm sure I'd make excuses.

And as much as I didn't want to last night - I MADE MYSELF get down on the floor and do my pilates. You'll soon see that once you force yourself to do it - your appetite will slightly decrease and your energy will increase. You just have to make a plan and if need be - call your friends or family and tell them to call and REMIND you to work out at a certain time with no excuses. Maybe that will help - knowing you made promises.

Deda - LOL too funny and I used to think the same thing when I had quit smoking the first time when it lasted a whole 6 days I think - " But I don't have anything fun to do anymore." Yes, granted we miss it but hey - if we start again - we'll stink, teeth turn yellow, breath stink, lung cancer, limbs missing or falling off, decreased circulation, and the list goes on - it's just not worth it as you know. So our new FUN thing will be exercise at first (shut up it'll be fun trust me HA HAHAHHHAHA) and then the ultimate or long term goal is looking our very best. We'll not only be sexy but also gorgeous and our self esteem will be thru the roof. We'll prob. have to come out here and smack each other occasionally. LOL

NCgirl - how ya doin? I think you're going to have it pretty well - all is going good for you. How much are you going to lose?

Yes, so I'm looking at losing 10-15lbs. I weighed in this morning at 163lbs. So how about we report our weight by each Friday? This way in case you screw up and eat too much on the weekend (won't mention any names lol) then you have almost a whole week to work it off.

So let the games begin. LOL

Laurie

PS: You guys are gonna turn me into something because I'm in the dating process right now so I don't want to discuss sex right now. LOL Better find a steady man soon. LOL I'm just so damn picky.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:39 AM   #8
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

OK Deda - on the snacks thing:

Depending on your salt intake - pretzels and popcorn are pretty good snacks overall. There's also carrot stix with a LITTLE ranch dressing. LOL Fruit - red seedless grapes are my kick right now and gala apples - love them I even bought some bananas the other day. Now my mom eats rice cakes - I don't care for them that much but some of them are pretty good. Now if you decide to do the atkins I can tell you what to eat each day. LOL I'm def. a pro at that so if any of you go on it (always ask your doc first in case you have diabetes, etc..) feel free to ask if you can or can't eat this or that but main rules - no sugar and no carbs!

You'll have to see how it is you want to do this - either counting calories, fat grams or carbs or ???? Sometimes people defeat their purpose by mixing too many things up together and you won't get the results you want. Like the Atkins - if you mix sugar with it - then all that work you've done was for nothing so you have to stick to the plan for the required results.

I'm 1/2 watching what I'm eating. I do like a pepsi at night and some fireballs/water still. BUT I'm going to walk quite a bit thru the week and that in itself will peel the weight off. Walking - fast walking always does it.

One of the biggest things - do not eat past 8pm - 7pm if you can help it. If you do make it something VERY light.

So you have a choice - beef up the exercise or beef down your beef. LOL

Laurie

Old 12-11-2003, 05:20 PM   #9
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Laurie--

Thanks for the tips. I need to go to the store and get some of the foods you suggested. I don't really like red grapes, but I think I could get used to them. I do like bananas and apples. Rice cakes are fine, with a little tuna spead on them. I use tuna packed in water, and just a little lo fat mayo. I buy the low fat popcorn too. (Trouble is, I usually eat the whole bag! LOL) Pretzels are okay, if I can eat just a few...LOL
    Starting tomorrow--ON MY TREADMILL EVERYDAY for at least 30 minutes. I also have a recumbant exercycle and one of those elliptical machines, (I don't like that tho)
    Sometime I just turn on some fast and loud 70's disco stuff, ala' John Travolta, and dance for 20 minutes straight, adding my hand weights a bit. I just need to keep mt face out of the frigdge after 6 or 7 PM. For the most part, I'm fine throughout the day, it's late at night I have these munchie problems. I stay up late because my hubby works nights. He doesn't get home till 12:30 AM. After his shower he has a drink and then we go to bed. Some nights when he has his drink, I've been cuttin off a chunk of cheese, then i go back for another chunk of cheese. God help me, I'm not even hungry! Can you imagine....a GLOB of FAT right before I get in bed!! ARGH!! OINK OINK!!
    I need to pull myself together!!!!!
    DEDA

Old 12-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #10
    Susannah
    (female)

Susannah HB User

The reason quitting smoking makes you want to eat is because nicotine makes you produce dopamine in your brain. This is what makes you get hooked to the cigarettes. Well, eating just so happens to release the same thing. I've been doing research on it and there seem to be some natural things that increase your dopamine. If you put any of these things into Google with the word dopamine, you should be able to find more info. I bet these things can help reduce your food cravings!

L-Tyrosine
    L-Phenylalanine
    L-Theanine
    St. John's Wort
    SamE
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Fava beans

Susannah

Old 12-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #11
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

Deda LOL Maybe you should go to bed early and have him wake you up when he gets home or just wake you up in bed so you don't get that cheese you were talkin about. LOL

You know I forgot about dancing - I do that occasionally as well - very good exercise. Pilates is a lot of fun too and for you Invinc (I've been to the UK so know all about that weather you poor thing) - windsor pilates would be great for you - you can stay inside and do it. Now granted Invinc you do have some sort of regimen you've been ignoring but for those times - do pilates in your house. Or dance - but you must do one of them or how do you plan to compete with the 3 of us in the weight category? LOL That's right - now Laurie is talking trash. LOL Yes - tryin to get invinc motivated. )))))

I'll have you know that my neighbor said her throat was sore - now granted I know all too well about the excuses - the only different between her and I is that I would just tell the truth and say, "NO - sorry I'm not going - end of story." LOL Now for her - she ignored my calls and then when I knocked (she's right across the street) - no answer, but at least I got the dogs barking for annoyance. HA HAHAHAHHA That's right - make me walk by myself then I'm going to sick your own dogs on ya. LOL So I walked over 2 miles by myself thank you very much. )))))) She did come out when I was on my 3rd lap - she was smoking a cig and apologizing that she was sleeping because she wasn't feeling well - her throat did sound a little bad, but she's such a sweetheart that I'm sure she prob. wouldn't tell me she didn't want to go if she didn't for fear of bummin me out. She's a sweetheart like that. So I let her off the hook and hopefully she'll resume tomorrow. If not - no actually Saturday morning is when I go again.

OK so now - have I motivated anyone yet? Deda get that cheese outta your mouth. LOL You know Deda - you might want to seriously consider the atkins because you can eat all day if you want - but only certain things. You can eat all the tuna you want, all the meat, eggs, and CHEESE you want - just no sugar and no more than 20 grams of carbs per day. In other words you can have coffee with cream and a splenda (artificial) in the morning with bacon and cheese eggs (remember you're not allowed to have any rice, pasta or bread), then for lunch have a big steak with a salad - (only blue cheese dressing because the others normally have sugar in them that are hidden), then for dinner you could have crab legs with real butter and another salad or steak or tuna, etc... I also used sugar free syrup in the mornings on my sausage. Oh yes and hot italian sausages with onions and mushrooms. You can go to the atkins website as well and it'll basically tell you everything or buy the book. It was great the first week. Drink lots of water to flush the burning fat out of your system. But for you and your cheese Deda - you might love it.

Ok I'm rambling now so I'm going to ck the other threads - OH and I'm on the lung cancer one now too and you wouldn't believe the stuff out there - if you get weak - ck out that site and here's a little excerpt from this one guy when I asked about lung cancer and smoking:

87% of all lung cancer is the result of smoking. The overall 5 year survival rate for all stages (1 to 4) is 14%. For advanced it's 2%. I'm a long term former smoker. Each year, I get a CT Lung Scan which is 6 times more powerful than xray and can detect a tumor the size of a grain of rice. If caught at stage l, the 5 year survival rate is about 70%. I get this test at a non profit medical center for $250, not reimbursable. Private clinics charge about $425. You don't need a doctors prescription. Smoking is a very difficult habit to break. For those who still smoke get the CT Lung Scan. I suggested this to a heavy smoker who replied, "if I have lung cancer, I don't want to know about it." I was also told to mind my own business.

Amazing huh guys? Well - get to exercising ladies - I believe I'm winning at this game today eh? LOL

Laurie

PS: And do you know that they still did not get me my new pills yet? LMAO UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 12-13-2003, 01:17 AM   #12
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Hi Laurie--

Wish I could go to bed early, but I've been having insomnia issues now for a few months. So, if I were to go to sleep, I would probably not be able to get back to sleep. I doubt I could get to sleep in the first place. If you've noticed, sometimes I'm posting here at 3 AM my time. so that doesn't help the compulsive eating issue!!

Thanks Laurie for all the ideas and diet tips, you are sweet. I don't really want to wait till New Year to start either, as I could gain another 5 or 10 lbs by then! LOL

Yes, I've been over to the cancer boards before, and the lung disorders boards. Quite scary alright. Once, when my son was in high school, his biology class went to the local community college anatomy lab, (I went along) and they had actual diseased lungs in there, which were packed and sealed in a bag, which they let us pick up and examine. Very scary, even then, but at the time I was about 35 and thinking I had lots of time to quit! STUPID!!!

Well, thinking about you all...have a wonderful weekend everyone...and hang in there everybody.
    DEDA

Last edited by Deda; 12-13-2003 at 01:24 AM.

Old 12-13-2003, 04:38 PM   #13
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

Hey Deda you night owl. LOL Yes, I've been a piggy lately too and in the winter it does make it harder to get out and exercise, but we must do what we must do. I don't even care if we have to meet here each day by 7pm to report what we've done to ensure we do something. LOL

I can see us now, "OH chit - it's 6:45pm and I only have 15 minutes to hurry up and exercise before I have to report." LOL HA HAHAHHAHAHA

Yes, I think I'll go upstairs when I'm thru typing and change clothes - hit the floor to do some pilates and the treadmill.

Deda - have you tried chamomille (sp?) tea? That helps! Plus, what's your caffeine intake like daily? Caffeine can easily be keeping you up at night and actually once you start exercising - you'll def. go to bed earlier so get hot.

Invinc - you've been MIA for a day or two. Funny how we start puttin out APB's on each other when we don't report daily. LOL It's good for us though.

24 days smoke free and counting 6 more days til I make the big MONTH! Whoohooo! Deda you'll be hittin your 3 months here in a few and Invinc you'll be gettin ready to hit your 2 months right?

Ciao for now ladies

Laurie

Old 12-14-2003, 09:06 AM   #14
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Yeah Invincible...where are you? Hee Hee...Laurie and I will nag you to death till you post and give us a full report!

How everyone's weight/eating issues going this weekend????? I'm flunking over here real bad. Since tomorrow is Monday, think I'll start diet/exercise for sure, cuz this is getting rediculous! When I was smoking I was so compulsive about my weight that I always weighed myself daily, sometimes 2 x a day. Right now, I'm scared to death to get on the scale! Think I'll wait till I eat lightly for a few, and walk the treadmill for a few days! I must pray about this as well. (I'm outeating my DH!)

DEDA (if this board had a fat little smilie, I'd put one here right now!)This will have to do

Old 12-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #15
    Invincible

Invincible HB User

The full report is............

1. Still a non-smoker

2. Still eating like a pig

3. Managed 10 minutes of stretch exercise today (pathetic)

Oink!!

OINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread