It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• How to quit smoking when drinking a beer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
    WandaWoman

WandaWoman HB User
    Question How to quit smoking when drinking a beer?

undefinedI have a real odd situation here. I quit smoking 13 years ago, however was able to start smoking only when drinking. Most people who smoke hate me for this but I have done this for 13 years.

My husband quit 5 years ago entirely, and now I'm ready to try again.
    Last Sat night we went to the local pub, like we do every Sat and for the first two hours I did great! after the 4th beer, I lost control and gave into the cravings.

My husband seems to think my body craves the Nicoten when my alcohol level gets high and thinks I should do the patch.

I think it is a Oral Fixation, can anyone relate, and if so, what did you do to quit entirely? I think I should give up on going out for a long while. I think I need to saty away from temptaion .
    [/FONT]

Last edited by WandaWoman; 01-29-2004 at 12:27 PM. Reason: WANT THIS STAND OUT IN RED

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 01:46 PM   #2
    nenofury

nenofury HB User
    Re: How to quit smoking when drinking a beer?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WandaWoman
    undefinedI have a real odd situation here. I quit smoking 13 years ago, however was able to start smoking only when drinking. Most people who smoke hate me for this but I have done this for 13 years.

My husband quit 5 years ago entirely, and now I'm ready to try again.
    Last Sat night we went to the local pub, like we do every Sat and for the first two hours I did great! after the 4th beer, I lost control and gave into the cravings.

My husband seems to think my body craves the Nicoten when my alcohol level gets high and thinks I should do the patch.

I think it is a Oral Fixation, can anyone relate, and if so, what did you do to quit entirely? I think I should give up on going out for a long while. I think I need to saty away from temptaion .
    [/FONT]
    Drinking and smoking go hand in hand. If you only smoke once a week, you're not addicted and not risking your life. Why give up something you love?

Old 01-31-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User
    Angry Re: How to quit smoking when drinking a beer?

I TOTALLY DISAGREE NENOFURY - are you tryin to get people to smoke? Do you REALLY think that since Wanda only smokes once a week or whatever that it will not harm her????? ARE YOU NUTS? OF COURSE IT WILL!

If you had a magic wand or you were the Lord and you said - Oh you can do that and be fine and live til your 90 - happy and still able to do everything you'd be able to do if you didn't smoke, then I'd still say you're wrong!

No one knows which cancer stick will cause cancer. Just because she's not a pack a day smoker or whatever does not mean that she's safe from harm. There was just a show on oprah last night with a heart surgeon showing examples of how just ONE CIGARETTE KILLS YOUR BODY!

I don't envy any smoker! I don't care when you smoke or how much - a smoker is a smoker is a smoker!

Wanda - QUIT! The way to do it - yes I would stay away from the happy hour scene for a month if you have to. After two weeks - just try having one beer or even two. Heck - they had stuff on drinking too - just drink the neer beer or quit drinking. LOL If you have to drink, then you just don't smoke. The first time will be a little difficult, but you'll get used to it and this is coming from a prior 15 yr pack a day smoker. I can still drink - I just remember why it is I quit and don't hang with smokers. If they're around or any friends that smoke - I just stay out of their way and remind myself how nasty they smell - their hair, clothes, and esp. their breath.

Prayer works wonders as well We're here for you Wanda and don't listen to any negative talk because anyone that says it's ok to smoke doesn't need to be on this board in my opinion. Yes I'm harsh on that one sorry Neno but people tryin to improve their health doesn't need anyone out here hurting their health. It surely isn't helping them.

Laurie

Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Here here Laurie, I agree with you 100%!! Nobody should ever come to this board and tell anyone that it's okay to smoke.

Good sermon, Pastor Laurie. ROTFLMAO!!

Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
    WandaWoman

WandaWoman HB User

Thanks Laurie...believe it or not I am addicted to the weekend smoking, but am PROUD to say it has been a week of NO drinking or Smoking. No cravings either. last night I went to a SUPER BOWL party and drank water and I had no problem at all. out of the 25 people there 20 smoked. I had to shower as soon as I got home, the smell is so bad when your not a smoker, it was gross. I am staying away from drinking for a while, with hopes that it helps.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
    LL29
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LL29 HB User

That's GREAT Wanda and TOO PROUD OF YOU!!!!

Yes sometimes we just have to change up a little bit in order to get the greatest good for us. Yes, I def. know what you mean about the stink. I was at the post office today at lunch and the lady in front of me had to have been a smoker because I was about ready to fall out from her stale smoke funk. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH It really does stink worse than anything. I even hated the smell as a smoker - now it just intensified by 1000% since I can smell it even more now.

Keep it up and do what you have to do in order to not smoke. There's no reason that after maybe a month you can't have a drink. Just KNOW that you don't have to give up everything in your life just because you gave up smoking. Yes association takes a minute to get used to. I used to have a cig with my coffee every morning after leaving starbucks - I still get my coffee and just don't smoke but I still love my coffee. I told myself that I didn't have to make myself suffer doubly hard just because of one bad habit. Think about it because it's more psychological than you know.

The first time might be a little eh - but nothing you can't overcome. You just say no and choose to not smoke. But go for what you know and hey - nothing wrong with stopping drinking forever either. LOL

Best to you and keep up the good work Don't forget to keep coming out and posting - you can also help others.

Laurie

PS: Thx Deda - great minds think alike

Old 02-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #7
    Mara

[QUOTE=WandaWoman]
    [...I think it is a Oral Fixation, can anyone relate, and if so, what did you do to quit entirely? I think I should give up on going out for a long while. I think I need to stay away from temptation...]

Hey-
    You may have been trying to pace yourself aside & avoid the dehydration. Alcohol creates a thirst and dehydrates. Good to read you are avoiding the entire kitten-caboodle. It's funny how I used to think of it as "giving something up" like it was a loss, a sacrifice when the reality it was just the opposite. I ask myself now, why did I care so little about myself that I smoked, did not eat properly, did not take care of myself...do something self destructive and harmful like smoke...yet at the same time not exposing others to the second hand smoke...Yep, nice gentle brick falls on gemi's shrunken head.

My favorite ritualistic smoking times were after dinner and with morning coffee. Breaking those specific times in habbit was hardest to do...that and if I heard someone flick their bic or strike a match-my hand went directly for the pack...It was a reflex! I missed it at first but did break the cycle & I don't miss it anymore, Imagine that!

Double filter does not mean you should smoke twice the amout

Last edited by Gemi; 02-06-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Old 02-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
    Invincible

Invincible HB User

I read somewhere once that smoking temporarily lowers your blood sugar levels, whereas drinking raises them ... that's why people who smoke, always smoke more when they drink alcohol. It's a body/sugar level balancer.

So stay away from alcohol for as long as you can until your body adjusts naturally.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
    Queen B

Queen B HB User

I understand where your coming from with the drinking and smoking...I know that will be a problem for me too. I am only 12 days without a cig but I was in a social situation the other night and here is what I did. Are there certain drinks that you associate more with smoking than others say a beer?? Try something different and maybe stick to one drink the first time you do...for me it's baileys and coffee...not sure why but I drank one and didn't crave a cig. Some people may associate coffee with smoking - not me that god cause I drink 8 cups a day- so drink something different that doesn't trigger the crave! Maybe stay away for awhile then try something new that doesn't act as a trigger. Have only one drink to see how it works. Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Hold on here people. You are sounding off with the typical propaganda of the past 20 years. I do not advocate smoking. I also do not advocate drinking. However, the anti-smoking crowd has taken things out of proportion. You probably believe the hype that all smokers get cancer and die young. This is simply not the case. Hundreds of thousands of "smokers" die every year in their 80's from non-tobacco causes. Smoking is dangerous and it is a very risky habit, but it is not guarenteed to kill you. Genetics is the greatest determining factor for health and longevity. One activity is not ALL bad ALL the time as you probably believe. Check the facts before you come on here yelling at someone. To take the safest route possible it is best for Wanda to never inhale cigarette smoke regularly again. She has realized that. Smoking the occassional cigarette does not significantly increase her risk of cancer. The number of pollutants inhaled daily from industrial materials, byproducts of combustion, etc...is of much greater concern that a couple of beers and marlboro's once a week.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:31 AM   #11
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

I'd rather take my chances and stay quit. Having an "occasional" cigarette will lead most of us back to full time smoking, eventually. You shouldn't be coming to this board trying to discourage people.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #12
    WandaWoman

WandaWoman HB User

Hello everyone, thanks for all your replies. It has been over 3 weeks without a cig, and I feel great! I went out Sat night and I bought the 3rd step of nicoderm and I never once had a bad craving. I will be wearing the patch when I know I will be drinking, it really helped me alot.

I want to reply to the one that said smoking on the weekends isn't all that bad, well for me it was. I only smoked when I drank, but I would smoke an entire pack of cigs in a 4 hour span. I would wake up the next morning with the worst cig hang over. I QUIT for my health and others around me. I actually notice rooms aren't so smokie anymore and that is because I was the one making it smokie. I wish you all great sucess, I am very excited that I haven't smoked in a few weeks and hope myself a life long sucess being SMOKE FREE!

Old 02-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #13
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

You Go Wandawomen!!! Yes I remember my drinking days, many, many moons ago, and how I could finish up a pack of ciggies in no time at all. Good for you girl, you sounds like you've got it licked!!

Yeah, even those 1 or 2 cigs with drinking just doesn't work, does it? Glad you found that out, and I'm glad you found what works for you!! That's funny about how rooms have become less smoky for you, cuz you're not smoking anymore...isn't it great!!!???

DEDA

Old 02-09-2004, 11:06 AM   #14
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deda
    I'd rather take my chances and stay quit. Having an "occasional" cigarette will lead most of us back to full time smoking, eventually. You shouldn't be coming to this board trying to discourage people.
    If you are addicted then you should never smoke. I never claimed otherwise. I don't want to discourage anyone. But it's not fair to promote the quit at all costs attitude. Going from one or two packs a day (full time) to one pack a week is a very significant reduction and is a great success.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #15
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Well you can see how she replied about smoking on weekends, (was bad for her).

Closed Thread