HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Smoking Cessation (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/smoking-cessation/)
-   -   Anyone Tried Smoking Cessation Shots? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/smoking-cessation/159882-anyone-tried-smoking-cessation-shots.html)

julbox 03-24-2004 09:30 PM

Anyone Tried Smoking Cessation Shots?

My husband is scheduled tomorrow at a Nicotine Addiction Clinic to receive injections that are federally patented and have an 86% success rate. He has to have someone to drive him home afterwards because he will feel euphoric for the rest of the day. Has anyone else tried this method and if so, was it successful? Can you describe the euphoric feeling as far as intensity? Also, he is a cocaine addict and has been clean and sober for 4 years and I am concerned that the euphoria that he will feel tomorrow after the shots may trigger his addicition. Thoughts or advice?

Missylynn 03-25-2004 06:42 AM

Re: Anyone Tried Smoking Cessation Shots?

I have never heard of a shot before and would be interested in learning more about it. Sorry I couldn't help.

Tobias 03-25-2004 05:10 PM

Are you sure this isn't some sort of scam? "Federally patented" means nothing.

julbox 03-25-2004 10:09 PM

I cannot answer that other than how can a person be sure what is and isn't a scam anymore? He had the injection earlier today and all we can do now is wait and see. I can tell you that there were a lot of people there who had family members and friends that have had the injections and so far they have not relapsed. There were some people who knew people that had been smoke-free for over 8 years using this method. I talked to my brother who is a pharmacist about it and the medications used are legitimate and have been on the market for years and are perfectly safe when used for other indications. I'll keep you all updated!

[QUOTE=Tobias]Are you sure this isn't some sort of scam? "Federally patented" means nothing.[/QUOTE]

Cin4676 04-02-2004 02:07 PM

Hi Julbox,

How is your hubby doing now? Does he think it's working? I would really love to see a follow-up on this. I have never heard of it before, either. What did they charge for this and was it covered by insurance?

redjoy 04-05-2004 03:29 PM

Can anyone tell me what these shots are called?

ladyhawke 04-14-2004 04:50 PM

Hi Julbox.. congrats to your hubby & best of luck to him.. I too have decided it's time to give up the smoking habit.. I've heard of this shot but I don't know what it's called & sadly enough neither does my doctor.. Could you help out & give me the name of this product? thanks.. Sharon

snookhead 04-15-2004 08:04 AM

Hi everybody,
I am new to the world of boards. Anyway, I know one person who has had the smoking shot. (Over 50, has never quit B4, 2 packs a day).
He has been smoke free for 7 mo. now and loving it. The company is called Lifeline Stop Smoking Clinics, [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1][I][[[ url and telephone number removed ]]] [/I][/SIZE][/COLOR] I go at the end of Apr. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!
Best of Luck to all trying..........G:D

[COLOR=Sienna][I][[[ brand names are allowed - do not post any other contact information ]]][/I][/COLOR]

Tobias 04-15-2004 08:52 AM

I did some research and discovered that the injection method referred to in these posts involves Anticholinergics which Block the transmission of the impulses along the parasympathetic nervous system. They work by blocking acetylcholine. This appears to be an off-label use of some antidepressant drug or drugs, but the good folks who give these shots aren't about to let us know which specific drugs they might use. There are contraindications, such as prostate trouble.

Apparently the single "shot" is used to get through the first couple of days of not smoking and works by basically turning the smoker "off" to cigarettes - they don't taste right, mouth is dry, etc. The $10 explanation is is that the drug or drugs are anticholinergic antagonists.

The regimen of interviews and tests plus the injection itself costs around $450.

snookhead 04-15-2004 09:28 AM

The 2 drugs used in the cessation shot are scopolamine and atropine (not atrophine). They use saline (my friend had this) to be employed as the carrier liquid for the injection. This is according to their site. Barbara :wave:

smartgal 04-19-2004 08:28 AM

Both of those are very serious drugs and nothing on their site shows that these shots are proven to work. The "references" just talk about the brain chemicals, but none of them show that this treatment corrects it. I would wait for more studies myself, or at the very least, I would want to know someone else who had it done successfully.

snookhead 05-04-2004 07:16 AM

:bouncing: I had "the" shot Friday nite! You get one shot behind each ear. You then go home with 2 small patches, 2 valium, and a script for Donnetol. You put one patch behind one ear for 3 days. Remove it and put the other patch behind the other ear for 3 days. I take the Donnetol 4 times a day for 2 wks. Donnetol is of the belladonna family. I am very glad I had the shot. I stay very relaxed due to the Donnetol, but functional. The patches have the Atropine and Scopolamine in them. It was $444 total. I have had no problem not smoking. It's been 3 days now. No withdrawls......

redjoy 05-04-2004 07:27 AM

What kind of a Dr did you go to & whats this called?

Tobias 05-04-2004 10:20 AM

The patch behind the ear, containing scopolamine, is also used to fend off seasickness and is used by those going on cruises, etc.

Hey, there's an idea - reward yourself for not smoking by going on a cruise!!

LL29 05-06-2004 11:05 AM

You know what I say? Save your $450 and just quit cold turkey and be miserable for the first week. :)

If I can do it - anyone can! ;)

Laurie :bouncing:

5 months CTurkey quit and counting