It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Quitting Was So Easy...So I Thought

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
    mcjane
    (female)

mcjane HB User
    Quitting Was So Easy...So I Thought

I decided to quit smoking 10 years ago with Nicorette. It was so easy, I couldn't believe it, I had no cravings at all, worked like a charm. Three months later while out with some friends I "bummed" a cigarette & then for another for the ride home. After those two I didn't smoke for a few weeks, didn't really miss them, but got the "bright" idea that I could have the best of both worlds, smoke for awhile & when I wanted to quit again all I had to do was chew the gum, so I started smoking. About a month later I was ready to stop, chewed some Nicorette & it had about as much as an effect as a stick of Juicy Fruit gum. I was a smoker again.
    Why it didn't work the second time around I will never know & how sorry I am that took a chance on my good fortune the first time I ever tried to quit.

Here's a tip from my next door neighbor, she quit completely this way & it works to a degree (& with nicotine replacement maybe 100%.) I have been able to go over 4 hours without a cigarette by doing this alone.
    She kept an open pack of cigarettes, when she wanted to smoke she would smell the pack taking a nice deep sniff. It really gives you a feeling of having inhaled a cigarette, very satisfying. Try it.

Now I am ready to try again & with the gum too, but still can't bring myself to set a date. I'm hoping that after 10 years Nicorette will work another miracle for me, but this time I will also be sniffing the pack.

Good luck to all who quit & being successful with one of the most difficult things you ever will have to do.

Thanks everyone for sharing stories, it helps.

Jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Re: Quitting Was So Easy...So I Thought

I have an uncle who quit for 2 years and started back the same way you did. As for the open pack, I'm one of those without any willpower. If I'm going to quit smoking, there can't be ANY in the house. I can't look at a cigarette without smoking it.

We even had to get rid of all the butts, because if there was anything left on them, I'd smoke them too....
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 09-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
    elatedgiraffe
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Good luck to you. You know since you quit the first time around that you can quit again. Yeah, the first time was easier, but just because it is harder does not mean its going to happen. Stay positive and hope all goes well

Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 AM   #4
    IMadeItThru
    Inactive

IMadeItThru HB User

Hello Jane,

I joined this message board just to reply to your post, because my heart goes out to you. I was in your shoes once. I want you to listen to me very carefully and I want you to trust me, because I know what I'm talking about. There is a secret to quitting smoking successfully. It took me a considerable amount of time and effort / trial and error to discover this secret, and I'm going to save you the trouble. Don't worry, it won't cost you anything. My only motive is to help you see the light so to speak. Ask yourself this very important question, "Of all of the long term exsmokers I know (quit for a year or more) what was the method that each one of these successful exsmokers used to quit smoking? The answer to that question is the first step in discovering for yourself the secret to which I am referring. When I first stumbled upon that question, the obvious hit me like a ton of bricks for the first time. I thought of 6 successful long term smokers that I know personally, family mostly, and in every single case the method that worked permanently was "Cold Turkey"! I couldn't believe that this lightbulb had never clicked on in my head before, because on some level I had to know, while chewing on that nicotine gum, that nicotine gum, patches, etc. is essentially the same as smoking!!! I know it seems to simple to be true, but it is: The best way to quit smoking is simply to quit smoking. Ahh, but that is only the first half of the secret. The second half comes from understanding the law of addiction. The Law of Addiction: Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance. This simply means that no matter how long you quit smoking- 2 days, 4 months, 10 years, even 25 years... all it takes is one puff to fully reestablish the addiction. So quitting permanently is very simple, though not necessarily easy. But I promise that it will continually get easier each passing day as long as you DO NOT ALLOW ANY NICOTINE INTO YOUR BODY. The uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms peak at about the 3 day mark, and the physical withdrawal subsides at about the 2 week mark. The psychological cravings will last under 3 minutes and will have to be overcome one at a time. The interesting thing is that once you face an event that triggers the urge to smoke one time, the urge will not return. In the coming weeks and months you will eventually reach the level of comfort of someone who never smoked. (I am at this point now! -Total comfort!) It helps to have a crave coping stradegy in place to get you through any rough spots. Mine, Deep Breathing, was a life saver. One neat thing about Deep Breathing is that it gives you the sensation of smoking- feeling the air hit your lungs. It feels great! And you can take it anywhere! Take a "One Day at a Time" approach to quitting cold turkey. From the moment you wake up until the time you go to sleep- is the only span of time you should worry about! Say to yourself I'm not going to smoke today and tomorrow I'll worry about tomorrow. Now you know the secret. One puff = Relapse. Because in reality, there is no such thing as "one puff". Smoking is an all or nothing proposition. You either smoke all- a full fledged smoker, 0r nothing- a cold turkey quitter. Do not deceive yourself any longer. You can not have the best of both worlds. Never Take Another Puff! That is the secret. There is a saying on the website that taught me these things: One is too many, 1000 is never enough. Once you are off of cigarettes (nicotine), the secret is to never take that first puff. Obviously this includes nicotine gum, patches, etc. I was once the most addicted smokers ever. I didn't think there was anyone worse off than me. And today? Ha ha ha- Total comfort. Confident in my quit. Because I finally have the answer. Withdrawal is a distant memory. All I have to do to maintain my status as an exsmoker, my good health, my new found pride, and all the money I save is- NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! That's the secret. It's all I'm required to remember. And its effortless at this stage in my quit. I sincerely hope that I have open up the door to the temple of knowledge for you and that your path to freedom is clear.

Old 11-15-2004, 04:38 AM   #5
    toneighty

toneighty HB User

Its working for me. I had a few craves today bit only minor - I put this part down to having two small pieces of gum on saturday.

Thought I bring this up. Not many people on this quit smoking board at moment but I thought I will bring this up. If you need gum than fine - it worked to a point with me on a number of ocassions but I see the logic of Cold Turkey.

Last edited by toneighty; 11-15-2004 at 05:00 AM.

Closed Thread