It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• mentally ill, quitting amplifies my symptoms, can't handle mood changes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
    the_technogoat
    (female)

the_technogoat HB User
    Unhappy mentally ill, quitting amplifies my symptoms, can't handle mood changes

hello, i am seventeen and have been smoking for about a year and a half. i used to smoke about a pack a day, but have decreased that to about five daily. i quit for a week after having a tooth pulled, but i cannot handle my moods--apathy, crying daily, feeling overwhelmed about my stressors (boyfriend's pot smoking and refusing to keep a clean home, his mother and her pot smoking and getting him high [which drives me insane, it's incredibly irresponsible], etc.) my mother and i believe i am bipolar, and i have many symptoms of schizotypal personality, though neither have been diagnosed yet. putting on the "happy" persona to hide my inner demons does not work at all when i am away from the family...my teachers and fellow students have seen me break down throughout the last few weeks and it is very embarrassing. my boyfriend smokes cigarettes, and he will give me one (no matter how many times i have told him i am done with them) if i feel overstressed. probably the hardest thing is when he smokes in the car next to me. quitting smoking in itself is not hard for me; i have heart and lung problems and i really want to be healthy. however, the emotional chaos that comes with it is too much--binge eating, crying for no reason, having emotional breakdowns, etc. is there any kind of supplement i could take a few times a day when i feel overwhelmed? something that would increase dopamine the way cigarettes do would really help me. i am taking ssri's: trileptal and lexapro, so it's hard to find a supplement that would not have interactions with my meds. i have found that any supplement containing valerian knocks me out in a matter of minutes. also, should i substitute my daily energy drink or two for an energy supplement containing appetite suppressants (yeah, a "diet pill") until the withdrawal stops? thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
    chaser3968
    (female)

chaser3968 HB User
    Re: mentally ill, quitting amplifies my symptoms, can't handle mood changes

hi i found that the patch really works. i quit smoking after 20 years using it. i only used it for 4 weeks instead of the recommended amount of time. i have quit now for 12 weeks and feel great. my husband smokes and it doesnt bother me now. good luck to you. by the way i am bipolar also.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
    luci
    (female)

luci HB User

I am cheering for you to quit. If I can do it, anyone can, since I used to practically chain smoke for like 14 years with only like a two year break (max) in there as well.

I found that I am naturally a very high-strung, anxious person. When I quit smoking, it seemed to make me even more high-strung and anxious, which is funny cause nicotine is a stimulant. But anyway, for a while, you will feel like whatever ails(sp?) you seems to be magnified by not smoking. I felt the same exact way as you. Don't give up!!

Loo

Old 10-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
    survivor52
    (female)

survivor52 HB User
    Smile Re: mentally ill, quitting amplifies my symptoms, can't handle mood changes

HI! Im cheering for you to quit cigs too! it's always hard at 1st--the withdrawal really only lasts 1-2 wks--after that, you will just keep feeling better & better! and yeah! your boyfriend smoking in front of you makes it harder--the patch is great! give it a try--but DON"T smoke with it on--it's dangerous! Ive seen poeple do that & it makes me nuts! anyway--good luck sweetie! and hope you stay well--try to remove yourself from people who use(pot & tobacco)--I know that sounds silly, but Ive spent my whole life with users--even tho Im not--because of my upbringing--and they will only bring you down with them--you cannot save them!!!

Last edited by survivor52; 10-06-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
    the_technogoat
    (female)

the_technogoat HB User

"try to remove yourself from people who use(pot & tobacco)--I know that sounds silly, but Ive spent my whole life with users--even tho Im not--because of my upbringing--and they will only bring you down with them--you cannot save them!!!"

so true. it's hard to accept the fact that the vast majority of smokers, "potheads" in particular, think what they do is good for their emotional state...i used to be a heavy potsmoker and it ruined my brain and my reputation, among many other things. i hated rehab when i went there, but my old rehab counselor works at my school and i talk to her a lot now, very helpful person. i realize i am going ot here, but as you can read in my thread in "relationship health", i am struggling with the fact that my boyfriend of a year--and the majority of his family--smoke pot multiple times a day, and when the pot is gone, they smoke resin or seeds. they wonder why their lives have become a living hell...why their money and food is gone or why the house is a horrible mess. even if my boyfriend quits smoking, his mother will always offer to "catch him a little buzz" near-daily instead of being responsible and using the money she spends on dope to help with her son's adhd.

anyhow, that is a serious issue that bothers me to no end, so i could talk about that all day. about cigarettes...i found out i should get a prescription from my dr. in order to get the patch covered by insurance, no biggie. the big dilemma i've run into is how i need betweem 3 and 10 cigarettes just to deal with thinking about how my boyfriend's family is ruining him without having a full-on breakdown. (it is VERY embarrassing as the breakdowns usually happen in class--and through the next class! crying with spikes of rage is not something i should get in public...i am going to have a talk with my boyfriend about the pot tonight...wishing myself luck) if things do get better with him, the patch it is...

Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
    Pez Dee Spencer

Pez Dee Spencer HB User

It might be hard to find but try Kava Kava. Its a natural supplement. Many places like GNC dont carry it anymore but you can usually find it at the hippy type natural food stores. When I was having panic attacks I used it and it helps. It makes you feel calm. Its not addictive either.

Just follow the directions on the bottle and dont over do it. Thats why it got banned in some countries because people abused it and it caused liver damage. But then again so does booze and why is it still legal? Go figure.

Get the liquid form. You just put a few drops under your tounge or in a little water and drink it down. In a few minutes you will feel cool as a cucumber. It really is great stuff.

Good luck.

Closed Thread