It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• How long should I stay on patch?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
    justquit
    (male)

justquit HB User
    How long should I stay on patch?

I tried quitting "cold turkey" but within a day I found myself slapping on a 21 mg. patch which I have say has really done the trick. I have gone 6 days now without a puff and it seems to be getting pretty easy. Is this a false sense of security because of the patch? It recommends that I stay on 21mg. for 4 weeks, then 2wks at 14mg, then 2wks at 7mg, for a total of 8 weeks. If I'm feeling pretty good about myself do you think it's better to go full term or start stepping down as quickly as I think I can handle it? Thanks for any input. JUSTQUIT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
    WoodsWalker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
    Re: How long should I stay on patch?

Hi, I guess each individual is just that, individual. I did 21mg for 3 weeks, 14mg for 2 weeks and 7mg for 3 weeks. To me the hardest part of any of it was stepping off the 7mg down to nothing... to me it seemed like a milder form of going cold turkey and like quitting all over again but I'm not feeling as overwhelmed as when going cold turkey if that makes any sense.
    I am into week 9 of the whole process and have both good and bad days, some days are both.

I guess you should do what feels right for you, if you find you still need the patch then use it. Beats doing the past few weeks or months for nothing and starting to smoke again, right?

Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

I was a 10 a day smoker and although it says to start with the 14mg I started with the 7 mg and it didnt seem to be too little of a dose. Im still on it though because I only quit a week and one day ago and after day 5 I didnt put my patch on all day and dont know if I smoked because of that or because my heavily smoking mom came over and we were talking about stressful issues. But I smoked 3 and felt horrible about it cause this is the farthest Ive come since I started smoking (4 yrs ago). Anyways I think it would be safe to quit the patch when you think you change the habit part of smoking. Ive barely thought about a cigarette all day, maybe just a few times, but they last and occur less and less each day so just do it when you feel youve got control over your habit otherwise the withdrawl might get the best of you. Keep them handy so when you do try to go without youll have one to slap on if it gets bad. Baby steps are good.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
    wiredqs
    Veteran
    (female)

wiredqs HB User

It probably depends on the individual, I smoked for 35 years, pack a day. Used the 21mg patch for about 3 weeks and it's been 2years and 4 months. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread