It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• side effects of quitting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
    StaceyLee
    (female)

StaceyLee HB User
    side effects of quitting

Hi. I quit smoking cold turkey Feb. 26 , and since I've quit I have been having a lot of nightmares and my dreams have been very vivid. Also, every single night since I quit, I have dreamed that I was slipping up and smoking a cigarette and in my dreams I knew it was wrong and felt really bad about it so of course I'm relieved when I wake up that I didn't actually smoke. And the nightmares, I get those almost always.
    Another thing is, food is supposed to taste better after you quit (something to do w/ tastebuds and smoking) but I've noticed that everything I used to like I don't like anymore...I've lost my taste for nearly everything, nothing seems to taste good. Guess I got the reverse effect.
    Just curious, has anyone else experienced the same....nightmares..vivid dreams..and food tasting differant better or worse? And with the dreams...what do you do about the nightmares??
    Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by StaceyLee; 04-13-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
    wiredqs
    Veteran
    (female)

wiredqs HB User
    Re: side effects of quitting

Are you using the patch? Those are common side effects of the patch, and also wellbutrin. Hope you are feeling better.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
    mike&ryansmom
    (female)

mike&ryansmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StaceyLee
    Hi. I quit smoking cold turkey Feb. 26 , and since I've quit I have been having a lot of nightmares and my dreams have been very vivid. Also, every single night since I quit, I have dreamed that I was slipping up and smoking a cigarette and in my dreams I knew it was wrong and felt really bad about it so of course I'm relieved when I wake up that I didn't actually smoke. And the nightmares, I get those almost always.
    Another thing is, food is supposed to taste better after you quit (something to do w/ tastebuds and smoking) but I've noticed that everything I used to like I don't like anymore...I've lost my taste for nearly everything, nothing seems to taste good. Guess I got the reverse effect.
    Just curious, has anyone else experienced the same....nightmares..vivid dreams..and food tasting differant better or worse? And with the dreams...what do you do about the nightmares??
    Thanks a bunch.

To this day, I still have dreams that I was smoking. I would wake up and for that split second, I thought to myself, CRAP I BLEW IT. Only to realize I was dreaming. I dont think that will ever go away. I talk with people that quit 10 plus years and still have dreams on smoking. Your nightmares will settle down in a few weeks to come. My food still tastes the same. I was a 1/2 a pack a day smoker, so I never noticed a huge change in that area.
    Good luck to you, and keep going.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
    Stavia
    (female)

Stavia HB User

I quit 7 months ago. I didn't have nightmares or vivid dreams, so I can't comment on that. I had only one smoking dream and that was early on in the quit. My sense of taste was very distorted for a long time after I quit. Nothing tasted right to me for a few weeks. Even toothpaste tasted strange. Dairy products were the worst. After that, a few things started tasting better than they had before: coffee, tea, chocolate. Eventually, and I think it was 3 or 4 months, my sense of taste got back to normal. Right now, I can't say that anything really tastes better.

Closed Thread