It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Thyroid Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
    RedMan1972
    (male)

RedMan1972 HB User
    Thyroid Symptoms

I have been quit for seven weeks now. It really wasn't all that hard as I had the heck scared out of me. I had a bad case of bronchitis/sinusitis and I was convinced I had lung cancer. I am a 34 year old male.

My question is, what are the symptoms that you might be having thyroid issues? I have been feeling worse since I quit smoking and I'm still scared that I might have lung cancer (despite 4 doctors and 4 chest x-rays over three months). Stuff online just scares me.

Anyway, let me know what the symptoms are. And keep it up! We can all do it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Re: Thyroid Symptoms

Hi Redman...

Congratulations on staying quit for 7 weeks now...please keep it up!

Redman, there are quite a few people on this board, who write in here how they have quit and now they feel worse than ever. Strange, huh? I read not too long ago, that some University in Pennsylvania did a study, and found that a number of people seem to develop innflammation problems in various parts of their bodies soon after quitting smoking. I can't remember it all, but it sure caught my eye, after all the messages I've seen here of people having pain and feeling ill after quitting smoking.

I quit 3 years ago, and I didn't feel well either, but then again, I was just starting treatment for a thyroid problem, myself. (hypothyroid) The common symptoms of that are, intolerance to cold, fatique, dry skin, hair loss, tingling, muscle pain, sleeping problems, constipation, etc., plus there's a whole lot more that you don't really see in the text books. Go to our wonderful thyroid board here at healthboards and you will see,...there's all kinds of crazy symptoms, (of which I've had many myself) If you are concerned you have it, you should see your Dr. about it, and get tested for it. Don't be afraid,....it's very treatable...it really is.

Redman, why do you still think you might have lung cancer? I think maybe you're just worrying too much...you are pretty young. Not that you couldn't have it, but I don't think it's likely, and I myself would be convinced I don't have lung cancer if 4 Dr's and 4 chest x-rays said so...so please relax.

Please talk to your Dr. about your fears, and if reading about health issues online worries you too much, (anxiety), then please quit reading it....it's not worth it! Believe me, I've been through all of that myself, and wish I hadn't worried so much like I did....I think that caused me to feel sick, (the anxiety), and obviously, I wasn't dying like I thought I was, as I'm fine now.

I think it just takes our bodies a while to adjust to going from getting all of that nicotine and chemicals/toxins, to having to go back to normal, without it. (Smoking tends to conceal pain too--it's a fact) Give your body some time to heal, ...eat well, sleep well, start exercising...and come back here later and let us know how great you're feeling.

Are you still having problems with the sinusitis/bronchitis?

Good luck...
    Deda

Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
    Zeethan

Zeethan HB User

After having had those tests, sounds like you are safe!! I don't know what would reassure you, besides just feeling better. I myself am thinking I have throat cancer. I've had a sore throat on and off for a long while. So you are not alone on the anxiety boat.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
    RedMan1972
    (male)

RedMan1972 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deda
    Hi Redman...

Are you still having problems with the sinusitis/bronchitis?

No, I'm not having problems with sinusitis/bronchitis anymore. The reason why I am still paranoid about lung cancer is since I've went through that and quit I've been diagnosed with allergies and asthma. I have difficulty breathing sometimes and that makes me think of lung cancer. People on that board are always saying how their cancer wasn't ever picked up by a Chest X-Ray and that is what scares me to death. But surely if lung cancer was causing my chest pains, breathing difficulty it would be in an advanced stage and detectable on an X-Ray...

Thank yo for all the help. While I have no desire to smoke anymore, it just seems to be I felt better when I smoked...sometimes I wonder if I should go back to it.

Last edited by RedMan1972; 11-07-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
    Reyne
    (female)

Reyne HB User

RedMan-
    Sometimes smoking masks symtoms?? Maybe you had allegies and asthma all along. I know now that I have quit smoking for 3 months now, I use my inhaler more. I have asthma and allergies since childhood.

Give it some time for your body to adjust. I know I smoked for more that half of my life alot of damage to undo. Your body is trying to repair, do not give up!! I also found out I have terrible anxiety when I quit and have panic attacks and have to take meds. I see my Dr more now then when I smoked. I will give myself time and repair, smoking is not going to make me feel better.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedMan1972
    Thank yo for all the help. While I have no desire to smoke anymore, it just seems to be I felt better when I smoked...sometimes I wonder if I should go back to it.

Hi Redman--

I agree with Reyne here once again. I think it does take some time, (for some of us a lot longer than others) for our bodies to heal. We do heal, but slowly. And don't forget what I told you that I read recently about that University study that was done in Pennsylvania....that quitting smoking brings about an inflammatory response in some people...yet they don't really understand why.

Reyne is right, you might have had the allergies and sinus problems before you quit, and it was all masked by the smoking. Smoking does mask symptoms and pain. Do you know, I quit smoking a couple of months AFTER I was diagnosed with my thyroid problem, (which is also an autoimmune disease), and I felt HORRIBLE for a long time. I didn't know if it was from quitting smoking, or from the thyroid problem, but I thought, (and still do) that it WAS the thyroid disease.

Well, one night, (4 months after I quit smoking), I was so angry, so disgusted, so MAD, because here I was doing EVERYTHING to help myself get well, (great diet, vitamins, supplements, exercise, etc.) yet I still kept feeling worse and worse, and I got so ******, I thought, why even try to do good any more, nothing I'm doing is helping!!!! So in a fit of anger, I went to the neighborhood convieniance store, purchased a pack of Virginia Slims, and went right out into the parking lot and had one right away. I smoked all that night, and for the next week or so. Well this is the truth, (100%), but by the following morning, ALL of those aches and pains were totally gone!! I mean it! Not an ache or pain,....and I had a lot of pain!! I was in shock! I had always heard how smoking masks pain and health problems, but I didn't think it would mask my type of pain, which was pretty bad!

Well, even though I had that relief, I wasn't about to continue ruining my health. So I quit again real soon, and to this day I am so glad that I did. It took a long while, but I did get my thyroid meds adjusted, and had to add another thyroid med, but eventually I started feeling well and normal once again. It took a little over 2 years to feel normal again, for me. Today all of those horrible, severe pains are gone. I think it just took a long time for my body to get back in balance and it takes quite a while for all of those tissues to heal up...for your body as a whole to repair itself.

Redman, I think also that if you did have advanced lung cancer, something would be detected on a lung x-ray....most likely. Also, did you know that anxiety too can cause shortness of breath...breathing problems...and I did have this problem myself too....as my mother and brother died of a lung disease and I was worrying about that constantly. After I asked my Dr. for something for the anxiety, (she gave me Klonopin), well, when I took those and I could breathe fine, so it was easy to see that anxiety was causing my problem. Please go to the anxiety boards and you will see many people over there who say they had trouble breathing due to having anxiety. One way to tell Redman, is to ask your Dr. if you can try an anti anxiety med, and see if it helps. It was a relief to find that out..

Please, please don't smoke again....it will only make things worse, and it's so dangerous and bad for us. See about the possibility that it might be anxiety...you do sound like you worry about it a lot,..so it wouldn't surprise me.

Good luck Redman, and let us know how it goes, okay? Meanwhile, I'll say a prayer for you.

Deda

Closed Thread