It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Chantix & "Quit Day"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User
    Chantix & "Quit Day"

for those of you that used or are using Chantix.. did you toss all your smokes and ash trays out on quit day? i just picked up my Rx for it today and plan to start Monday... i didn't quite set a quit day yet.. figured id see how i was doing on the med after the first week then set one.. and want to plan my quit day around my cig stash so when my supply is done so am i.. so i am not throwing money away.. if that makes sense..

Last edited by Punkdizzle; 02-08-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User
    Re: Chantix & "Quit Day"

Punkdizzle,
    I kept 1 opened pack of cigarettes for one month after I quit smoking......just in case I needed one. A lot of people can not do this. It is too much of a temptation to them. I had 5 packs of unopened cigarettes when I quit. I gave them to a neighbor who is not ready to quit yet.
    You know the longer you take the Chantix, the less you will get out of your cigarettes. It will get to where you will not feel any effects from them at all.
    I've still got my ashtrays.......outside for the people who want to smoke, my brother being one of them. He smokes those old smelly cigars!! UGH!

Just think.....it won't be long now.....you're on your way to becoming a non-smoker. Aren't you excited?

Memaw

Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
    CoyoteBound
    Veteran
    (female)

CoyoteBound HB User

I started my Chantix and am on day 3! I have not laid the cigarettes down yet, but after I smoke the 2 packs I've got left, then I am DONE! Wish me luck. I will need it I'm sure.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

CoyoteBound,
    Congratulations! And I do wish you luck! Quitting smoking will be one of the most best things you could ever do for yourself. This message board is an excellent place to come when the urge to smoke hits. Come here and let us all know how you are doing. Maybe someone can offer a suggestion or two to help you over the rough spots.

Best of luck to you.

Memaw

Old 02-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
    chantypals
    (female)

chantypals HB User

Everyone is different, but I found out eventually for me that if I had a stash/supply around I would smoke it. It truly did nothing but antagonize me, if you will. Do what you think is best for you, but why put up with the temptation? Good luck to you - I think you will do great!!

Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
    paulagizmo
    (female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Punkdizzle View Post
    for those of you that used or are using Chantix.. did you toss all your smokes and ash trays out on quit day? i just picked up my Rx for it today and plan to start Monday... i didn't quite set a quit day yet.. figured id see how i was doing on the med after the first week then set one.. and want to plan my quit day around my cig stash so when my supply is done so am i.. so i am not throwing money away.. if that makes sense..
    HI there. I started the pill on 2/2 which according to Pfizer would make 2/9 my quit date; however, I felt like a w/e at home would be tough so I forestalled my quit date until Mon. 2/12. On Sat. & Sun. I smoked a cig. for every situation I could think of that goes with smoking. So I wouldn't regret having that 'last' one while... For ex., having a few beers with a cig. Did it; driving... did it, etc. Sun. night, I took one cig. out of the pack I had left and gave them to by BF---he quite enjoyed mangling them (and then putting them in water). I had my last cig. at 9 PM that night and then washed and put away the ashtrays. This is my 5th attempt (have tried cold turkey, the patch, group hypnosis and the 'mad russian') and so I do believe I will make it this time! Chantix and this site are godsends!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
    Kevin__
    (male)

Kevin__ HB User

Oh my gosh - You did it!!! You did it!!!

Congratulations Paulagizmo!!![url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/images/smilies/blob_fire.gif[/url]

Old 02-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

paula,
    Congratulations!! I know you will feel so much better in a short time. Don't look at it as giving UP something. Look at it as GAINING a healthier lifestyle.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 02-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
    paulagizmo
    (female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin__ View Post
    Oh my gosh - You did it!!! You did it!!!

Congratulations Paulagizmo!!![url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/images/smilies/blob_fire.gif[/url]
    Thank you! Thank you! [bow bow]

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
    paulagizmo
    (female)

paulagizmo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
    paula,
    Congratulations!! I know you will feel so much better in a short time. Don't look at it as giving UP something. Look at it as GAINING a healthier lifestyle.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw
    I feel better already. A little background: I'm 41 (my father was diagnosed 20 years ago with emphysema and still smokes---he's 63 now). In the past year and esp. the past few mos., everythign has been effort for me---the simplest thing (walking from one room to another) and I was out of breath. I'm not overweight (at least not enough to cause breathing issues) so little by little I kept telling my brain to stop making non smoking excuses. IT IS THE SMOKING, YOU IDIOT! That combined with the dr. giving me an unsolictied Rx for Chantix and a few more weeks of retraining my brain and here I am. I was truly amazed that on Day 1 I could feel the difference -- no headache, shortness of breath dramatically decreased; each day it improves more. I'm also reading the "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I just figured every little bit helps.

Again, you're the best! I hope you'll be treating yourself somehow to celebrate your 6 month milestone of beinga non-smoker!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Paula,
    I'm so glad your doctor got you to try the Chantix. This may have saved your life. My doctor GAVE me the first month then I had to buy the next two. That was August 1, 2006. It took me a week to make up my mind to try it. (With my husband's urging.) The rest is history!! It is amazing how fast the body adjusts to not having the nicotine and other chemicals. I punished my body for so long. I don't know if I did any permanent damage or not. 40 year of smoking....I probably did. But not any longer!!!!!

I've always advocated READ, READ, READ. Any and everything you can find in the bookstores or on the Internet. The more you know, the better your chances of staying quit are.

Maybe you can get your Dad to try this wonder drug. It's never too late to stop.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 02-17-2007, 05:05 AM   #12
    mangojunky
    (female)

mangojunky HB User

Congrats to all have been smoke free! Having quit (and restarted) in the past, I know how tough it is. This is my first week on chantix, and I am noticing a few side effects - dry mouth (cramping in calves), slight nausea after I take the pill and sleepiness. I won't stop taking it because I am ready to quit - I am so tired of being a slave to cigs, and I don't want to increase my chances of getting cancer or having a heart attack. I want to be healthy when I am older.
    My target quit day is next Tuesday.

For those of you who have been using chantix, do you find yourself snacking more - how have your eating habits been?
    deb

Old 02-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangojunky View Post
    My target quit day is next Tuesday.
    Congrats on the decision to quit smoking mangojunky! Good luck and be sure to come back and let us know how you are doing! <--- there's a few angels hanging over you to help!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

mangojunky,
    Welcome to the best board on the Internet. (That's just my opinion though! ) I'm so glad you have decided to get healthy!!! As you know from past experience, this is a tough addiction to kick. But with the Chantix it will be easier than before. That is if you can tolerate the side effects. Be sure you drink a lot of water!! It helps with the nausea. More water may also help with the muscle cramps. If it gets too bad, call your doctor. I did. I was ready to quit taking it because of the nausea. He told me to cut the pills in half and take 1/2 pill 4 times a day. It cut the nausea enough that I was able to continue taking it. I had trouble eating enough while taking it. No way could I snack between meals. I had to save my appitite for meals so I would eat enough to take that pill.

deb, everyone reacts differently to this drug. Your experience will be completely different for mine or anyone else. But everyone that can tolerate this drug seems to have an easier time quitting with the Chantix than anything they have ever tried before. The success rate is also a lot higher.

Keep us informed as to your progress and any problems you have and definately tell us about your successes!!

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 AM   #15
    mangojunky
    (female)

mangojunky HB User

My family lives in Florida, and when they tell me it is "cold" I laugh

Getting ready for my quit day tomorrow - I look at today as my last un-healthy day. I have been working on my attitude - not looking at quitting as a loss, but as a gain.

deb

Closed Thread