It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Chantix and Chemical Depression...Do they mix? Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
    carlyjames
    (female)

carlyjames HB User
    Chantix and Chemical Depression...Do they mix? Help!

Hi,
    I have chemical depression...I have to take anitdepressants for the rest of my life. I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder, but recently moved to the south. Am just getting over this, as Oregon was wayyyy too rainy.
    Anyway, want to quit smoking, have a Rx filled for Chantix, but I am dopamine starved, which is the reason I take Cymbalta, Effexor and Gabapentic(Neurontin).
    Will Chantix affect my dopamine receptors, and produce a more increased depression? They tested it on people who were screened against any problems..including depression. Don't know if it will depress people who have a tendancy for this. I also suffer with migraines..and they are know treated to a degree where I only have about three a month. Will this make it worse?
    I have fibromyalgia as well (pretty screwed up here, folks, but working on things one at a time) and read in a **** that it worsened people with fibromyalgia.
    So, I have to quit smoking. Will suffer through side effects, even migraines for a short time if I have to. But, the depression part scares me.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
    chantypals
    (female)

chantypals HB User
    Re: Chantix and Chemical Depression...Do they mix? Help!

Love your screen name by the way....I would definately talk with your doctor and pharmacist. As someone who took chantix for 12 weeks, I will tell you that chantix helps release endorphins, so you will have an added effect. Many people who take/took chantix also were on antidepressants with no adverse affects.

Know that quitting will take work and you willhave good days and bad days regardless, just be prepared for when those bad times come - equip yourself with coping mechanisms and distractions and you should be golden.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
    carlyjames
    (female)

carlyjames HB User

Thanks..it's actually my pen name (I'm a freelance writer)..
    My husband said that even if it helped for a week or so, to go through the withdrawls til the nicoteen was out of my system, that would give me a head start on the addiction. He has gotten down to four ciggarettes a day..the rotten scum! I smoke 1 1/2 packs (at least) and can't seem to quit by just reducing the amount I smoke like he is doing.
    He'll quit completly first, then I'll give him two weeks, then I'll go for it.
    I'm looking forward to my hair (which is long and curly) to smelling a whole lot better!
    Carly

Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
    chantypals
    (female)

chantypals HB User

Carly - This is just my opinion - I tried quitting with the patch, gum, lozenge, cutting back, etc. I think that the reason chantix is so positive is that you are no longer placing nicotine in your system. As your husband said - three days and nicotine is gone and then it's all "mental" after that. I think spacing out your quits is a good thing, wishing you both the best

Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
    mypugmae
    (female)

mypugmae HB User

Hi,

I have never been a posting person, always just a reader. This is my 3rd post so I may ramble a little. So I will just say that I too have chemical depression. I have been on every antidepressant there is. I am currently on Cymbalta have had the best results from this one. Anyway, I took Chantix too. I took it for one month. For me it did cause depression, and it was a different depression than I have ever experienced and that is what I found very scary. It is really hard to describe but I will do my best and I hope that it will be helpful to you. My depression is anxiety, fear and dread. Crying jags at times and just nagging and present and keeps me from really engaging in life. And if not medicated I have really short temper. With Chantix, it was strange because I almost didn't recognize it, as funny as that sounds. It was no feeling. Spooky. Chantix works. But not if you have true chemical imbalance. Hope this helps. Good luck on quitting, you can do it!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:28 AM   #6
    scott7011
    (male)

scott7011 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlyjames View Post
    Hi,
    I have chemical depression...I have to take anitdepressants for the rest of my life. I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder, but recently moved to the south. Am just getting over this, as Oregon was wayyyy too rainy.
    Anyway, want to quit smoking, have a Rx filled for Chantix, but I am dopamine starved, which is the reason I take Cymbalta, Effexor and Gabapentic(Neurontin).
    Will Chantix affect my dopamine receptors, and produce a more increased depression? They tested it on people who were screened against any problems..including depression. Don't know if it will depress people who have a tendancy for this. I also suffer with migraines..and they are know treated to a degree where I only have about three a month. Will this make it worse?
    I have fibromyalgia as well (pretty screwed up here, folks, but working on things one at a time) and read in a **** that it worsened people with fibromyalgia.
    So, I have to quit smoking. Will suffer through side effects, even migraines for a short time if I have to. But, the depression part scares me.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
    scott7011
    (male)

scott7011 HB User

dont have chemical depression, do have problems with post trumatic disorder. Take Zoloft and valum to suppress nightmares. worked well for 3yrs. Within a week of taking chantix they came back with a vengence. Also quit smoking after 30yr that week. Told it was the nicotine causing the nightmares to resume and it would go away. stayed on chantix for another 10days (very little sleep) had to quit chantix. Still dont smoke after 63 days. and will not smoke again. although still have problems with nightmares about 50% of the time. It is slowly getting better. But I do believe that each individual reacts to chantix differently and it is a very powerful and addictive drug. (Drs will tell you that anything is better than smoking). Proud that I quit. Would do cold turkey had I have known. We are all different and special.

Closed Thread