It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• 3 weeks and it is getting harder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User
    3 weeks and it is getting harder

okay I have not had a cigg in 3 wks and one day and for some reason it seems to be getting harder to not have one...I quit cold turkey...should I go buy some nictone gum or is it out of my system already?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
    paulagizmo
    (female)

paulagizmo HB User
    Re: 3 weeks and it is getting harder

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starmichelle View Post
    okay I have not had a cigg in 3 wks and one day and for some reason it seems to be getting harder to not have one...I quit cold turkey...should I go buy some nictone gum or is it out of my system already?
    Try Chantix. I was a conirmed smoker (27 years) and now I'm 6 Days 1 Hours w/o a cig. And I tested myself tonight-----drinking---I'm 1/2 in the bag and didn't smoke! Hooray for me!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

I havent learned anything about chantix...do I need a doc to prescribe it? I bought a pack of ciggs today but I never opened them..for some reason it comforts me to know I have one available..is that weird? .I have gone too long to start up again...Why is quitting so dang hard??

Last edited by sarmee; 02-17-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Is is still very difficult at 3 weeks, it's still difficult at 3 months. I was in the hospital for a week and the nicotine was probably out of my system by the time I got home, but I went and bought the 2nd step (14 mg) patches anyway and used the patch for a few months. I figured the patch would give me an edge on staying quit and I believe it did. Alot of people on here like the gum too.

Congratulations on 3 weeks starmichelle, that is pretty awesome!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

starmichelle,
    Bless your heart!! I know it's tough. The nicotine is out of you system now. But nicodemon is still calling you...wanting to lure you in its clutches again. I don't think you are stong enough to keep an unopened pack of cigarettes around. You need to get rid of that now. You will be too tempted to open that sucker.
    I would rather see you go buy some nicotine gum or patches if you feel the need for some nicotine. But remember this one thing:
    You have got to want to quit MORE than you want to smoke that cigarette. So how bad do you want to quit? Remind yourself the reasons why you quit in the first place. Make a list and print it out and post it where you can see it.
    Also, Do you really want to go through withdrawals again? Open that pack of cigarettes and that is what will happen. Be honest with yourself. Why did you buy that pack? What did you have in mind when you did that?
    You don't have to answer here. But answer these questions honestly to yourself.
    The longer you stay away from the cigarettes, the easier it will get. Promise!!
    I know it doesn't seem that way right now. But take it one day at a time. Or one hour at a time....even one minute at a time. Keep yourself busy. Do some form of exercise. Go somewhere with a non smoking friend. Take deep breaths.
    You have make so much progress. You really are doing good!! Try to keep a possitive attitude. Tell yourself how well you are doing. Pat yourself on the back. Be proud of everything you've accomplished!! Don't think about giving up smoking, think about gaining a healthier lifestyle.

Good luck to you!!!

Memaw

Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 AM   #6
    mangojunky
    (female)

mangojunky HB User

How are you feeling starmichelle?
    Hang in there. You have done a great job quitting cold turkey - and lasted 3 weeks. If you really want to stay quit, please don't have a cigarette. I have tried the commit losenges and they work better than the gum. I didn't have a good experience with the patch, and you have withdrawls when you stop them.
    Do you exercise? I find that really helps take the edge off.
    Congrats on 3 weeks+ smoke free!
    deb

Old 02-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

I run/walk two miles every day...It has helped a lot. I still have a pack of ciggs unopened in my room..I havent smoked in 3 weeks and 2 days!
    The cravings are bad...I hate the fact that I have gained 4 lbs since I quit. I love having this page to come and talk to you all about how I am feeling...I think this page has helped me alot...I am 26 years old..and I have been smoking since I was 17. I kept putting off smoking for after high school I will quit..then after college..then when I turn 25 then after new years..it never ended...I just have to stick to this and it will be hard but all I can do is try.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
    Karen1711
    (female)

Karen1711 HB User

Hang in there, Starmichelle...you've come so far. Those cigarettes can't harm you in the package but they're just waiting and hoping you start up again. I would get rid of them because that is just too much temptation. Remember, just one cigarette could start the whole nasty cycle over again. I would see about getting some Chantix asap. It's the only thing that has truly helped me have the willpower to quit...and I've tried everything! Absolutely a miracle drug imho. Please keep us posted and Congratulations on being smoke free for 3 weeks.

Karen

Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
    chantypals
    (female)

chantypals HB User

First off I would get rid of that pack.......why keep temptation around and wait for a frail moment - water them, crush them or whatever you need to do. I've been quit 160 days but know if I had them around and was having a bad day I'd think twice about them.......

Old 02-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starmichelle View Post
    I run/walk two miles every day...It has helped a lot. I still have a pack of ciggs unopened in my room..I havent smoked in 3 weeks and 2 days!
    The cravings are bad...I hate the fact that I have gained 4 lbs since I quit. I love having this page to come and talk to you all about how I am feeling...I think this page has helped me alot...I am 26 years old..and I have been smoking since I was 17. I kept putting off smoking for after high school I will quit..then after college..then when I turn 25 then after new years..it never ended...I just have to stick to this and it will be hard but all I can do is try.
    Glad you haven't opened that pack!! But go buy some nicotine replacement. Then throw those things out! You can keep that unopened in your room too. It will be there if you positively have to have something, the same way the cigarettes are.

starmichelle, have you tried the straw cigarettes? You cut straws in the length of cigarettes and then stuff them with enough cotton or q-tips so that they draw about the same as a cigarette. That might help with the cravings. Tell yourself that you are smoking a cigarette. The power of suggestion is very stong sometimes. Taking deep breaths also helps.

Your statement "all I can do is try"......You are giving yourself an out. You are setting yourself up for failure. You need to have the attitude "I can do this." or "I am going to do this."

You can do this!!!! I believe you can.

Memaw

Old 02-19-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
    mangojunky
    (female)

mangojunky HB User

Starmichelle,
    If you want to be a non-smoker, be a non-smoker and throw away those cigs. At this point, the nicotine should be out of your system and now you have to re-train your brain. It's great that you exercise. Do you have any hobbies - something to keep you busy? I find crocheting and painting help me. As far as gaining 4 pounds - you can take the weight off, but you can't take back smoking. Cut yourself some slack, and realize you have done something wonderful, and be proud of yourself.
    Keep busy and stay positive
    deb

Old 02-19-2007, 05:35 AM   #12
    Liamsmom
    Inactive
    (female)

Liamsmom HB User

I read somewhere that quitting smoking is right up there with being an ex heroin using. SO cut yourself some slack in the craving dept. I'm 8 months smoke free and out of nowhere I get a craving. It doesn't last long but sometimes I feel like I should get to smoke one as a treat for doing such a great job of not smoking I know sounds nuts but I know in a way I'm like a heroin addict I can't even have one or that's it I'm right back where I started.

You can do it and it does get easier but you should know that your always going to have cravings they'll just be easier to deal with,and they'll only last a few seconds.

Your doing a fabulous job I quit cold turkey also and it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Congrats your incredible!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

So last night I was craving a cigg really bad and I told myself maybe you can have just one and that would be it ..you have gone 3 wks I am sure you can go 3 more wks...then i realized i was kidding myself if I thought I could have just one and that would be it...I threw away the pack and I cried this morning...this is really hard to do but the health benefits are worth it...my fiance has begged me to quit for the last 4 years we have been together telling me that I wont be alive to see our kids grow up (when we do have them I dont have any yet) it made me think about what i was doing to myself cutting my life short by ciggs...I think I am going to be able to kick this habit!! Thank you for all your support. I am going to make some straws tonight.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

starmichelle, congratulations on not giving in!! That is so awesome! And crying is good for you so you did double good last night!

Think of this, when you get pregnant, you'd want to quit for the baby, right? So you are just quitting a little earlier than you would have had too! I am so proud of you and that fiance of yours! Let him read all of this so he knows how terribly difficult this is... If he's never smoked, he doesn't know how hard it is.

Keep up the great work!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

yeah my fiance has never smoked so he has no clue what I am going threw..he thinks it is easy...I WISH! I am about to work out right now...that should help..I have been comming to this website a couple times a day lately..it helps me to not smoke! I was wondering when your lungs start healing after you quit? Working out is helping me but I have found that I need like lolipops alot or cough drops, candy ect. Anyone know any healthy things to do besides eating alot of candy...?

Closed Thread