It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Smoking Cessation and Weight Gain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
    Frozen
    (female)

Frozen HB User
    Smoking Cessation and Weight Gain

Please feel free to redirect me if this has been discussed recently. I quit smoking (again ) about 4 weeks ago and can almost see myself gaining weight by the minute. I honestly don't think I'm eating more than before. I cannot afford to gain weight -- carrying around too much extra as it is. I know that diet and exercise will help, but if it were that simple, I would have been thin a long time ago. Any suggestions, sympathy or empathy will be most welcomed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
    Frozen
    (female)

Frozen HB User
    Re: Smoking Cessation and Weight Gain

Also, let me ask...when should the weight gain taper off? 2 months? 6 months? A year?

Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi Frozen, congratulations on quitting smoking!! Awesome!!!

Yea, about the weight gain, everyone tells you to eat celery and carrot sticks , yum like that's going to take the place of a cigarette. I gained about 15 lbs but in my case it's probably a combination of quitting and depression. I'm back to dieting again hoping to lose 25 lbs in the next few months.

Don't worry about the weight gain at first, that will settle down... I've read the average person gains 5-10 lbs when quitting smoking. You can do something about the weight after you quit. Just make sure you aren't snacking (alot), that you are drinking alot of water and you are getting some exercise.

Good luck and keep us up to date about the quit!!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Frozen,
    First of all congratulations on being quit 4 months!!! Wonderful!!

What Traveller said....excellent advice!! She is exactally right.

I gained about 15 pounds after I had gotten off the Chantix that I used to quit smoking. I've taken that off now. Now I'm in the process of trying to lose at least 50 more. I figure if I can quit smoking, that I ought to be able to lose some weight. Only thing is.....I hate to diet!! I'm not that fond of exercise!! But we do what we have to.

When you quit smoking it slows your metabolism down...thus the weight gain. Exercise (I walk) helps to raise it. So find a way to raise your metabolism and you won't gain so much weight. Make sense?

Good Luck to you!! And keep up the good work. Let us know how everything goes for you.

Memaw

Don't worry too much about gaining weight right now. Just concentrate on the quitting smoking. One thing at a time.

Last edited by Memaw649; 02-18-2007 at 09:27 PM.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
    Reyne
    (female)

Reyne HB User

I am sending you some understanding that is for sure!!! When I quit I just blew up..I gain about 25 in less that 3 months. Some of it water, some of it me eating more and my body adjusting.

My body now at 6 months is finally adjusting and now I am going to try to work on the weight. For now concentrate on your quit!!! Try to walk, eat what you want in moderation....that is the key moderation.

Hang in there...it is all worth it!!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
    Frozen
    (female)

Frozen HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I know that quitting is more important than the status of my weight right now. It's just hard to improve in one way and, at the same time, decline in another. Your support and understanding helps a bunch.

You all keep up the good work!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Reyne, congratulation on 6 months, that is so wonderful! I'm trying to diet and lose 25 lbs too, lets keep in touch here and support for the dieting just like we are doing for the smoking... I think if Memaw finds a couple of articles that tells me that that 25 lbs is just sitting around my heart (which it probably is ), she'd make me lose that 25 in a week!

Frozen, I've read an article written by a doctor that said if everyone quit smoking and gained 10 lbs and never lost it, they'd still be much healthier. So good luck, and don't worry about the weight so much, concentrate on the quitting.... doing one thing at a time is hard enough. Let us know how you are doing!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

"I think if Memaw finds a couple of articles that tells me that that 25 lbs is just sitting around my heart (which it probably is ), she'd make me lose that 25 in a week!"

Traveller,
    That's what it feels like to me!! I'll see what I can find out about that. haha!
    I've been dieting for about 6 weeks now. I've lost a total of 17 pounds as of this morning. But I'm still so round that you can barely notice it.HaHa. But I'm determined!! I feel like if I could give up a 40 year addiction, I ought to be able to lose 50 or 60 pounds. But oh how I'm missing some of my no-no's. (white bread, anything fried!, sweets, butter! corn bread) I'm just a southern girls born and raised. The southern cuisine is one of the very worse as far as being healthy is concerned. But it taste soooo good!!

Reyne,
    Congratulations on 6 months!!!!! Yippy!!
    You and I are at about the same point in our quit! My last cigarette was on August 14, 2006.
    And you are right about the moderation. That's what I'm trying to do now. Portion control.
    Keep up the positive attitude. That really makes a difference, doesn't it?

Memaw

Old 02-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
    Reyne
    (female)

Reyne HB User

Memaw-
    My last smoke was Aug 23rd so we have a close quitting date!!! It is nice being some free...you gotta love it.

Traveller-
    Thanks for the congrate's!!!

I will work on those 25 lbs...it did not help I have been in lock down due to the cold. Yes, I live in the midwest and well it has been damn cold. I always have walk daily just need to add in more.

A few months ago the Dr put me on phentermine to jump start my body and it did help. I have had some other health issues (female) so that has me down in the dumps.

But one thing that makes me smile...is I no longer puff on a smoke all day long!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

YEah I feel your pain..I havent had a cigg in about 4 wks this friday and I have already gained 5 lbs...To make matters worse we have a new guy at work that told me in front of everyone today.."dang girl you snack all day long, you always are chewing on something" That made me really want to cry and have a smoke. I cant believe he said that..not to mention what is the big deal with me snacking I had been chewing alot of gum and eating carrot sticks

Old 02-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

starmichelle,
    Bless your heart!! You are doing so good with your quit! Don't let some jerk get you down. What business of his is it anyway if you want to "snack" all day long and into the night? You should have called him what he is and told him where he could get off!! I hope he is not your boss!!
    Ignore stupid people like this. They don't realize how sorry it makes them look when they are being so "clever."
    This got me all riled up, girl. I can't stand people like this.
    Anyway.....you keep doing whatcha been doing because it's working for you!! And don't worry about gaining weight. It will come off later.

Memaw

Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #12
    mangojunky
    (female)

mangojunky HB User

starmichelle,
    Ignore that a#@. What a jerk. Just think how much stronger you are than him. 4 weeks - that is GREAT! The weight will come off - and think about how healthy you will be
    Stay strong! Have you ever done yoga, or deep breathing exercises? You should try - very calming.
    take care of yourself,
    deb

Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #13
    Liamsmom
    Inactive
    (female)

Liamsmom HB User

you must look great if he's watching so very closely and be sure to tell him that the next time he needs to comment. "Well I must look good if you're taking so much interest what are you doing a survey or something?"

Keep up the great work and you'd die if I gave out the numbers on my weight but that's a whole other story. I know I can lose it when I put my mind to it so I'm not worrying about it at the moment one thing at a time.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 AM   #14
    Frozen
    (female)

Frozen HB User

Some people just have no clue. I bet that jerk has never accomplished something as difficult and important as quitting smoking. What a small little man.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

when i was 30 i was in the hospital for a month so i couldn't smoke my lung had collapsed.when i got home i didn't smoke for several weeks until i went to my doc for a follow up and he said what happened to you. i had gained 25 lbs after i left the hospital. after the doctor said that to me i started smoking again that was 31 years ago and my doctor is also a weight stickler so i stay at my healthy weight of 113 lbs.he also says that if i watch what i eat and still exercise i will not gain. that i do not believe since my calorie intake per day is 1300 a day to maintain my weight.i can't go any lower. sorry about no caps my keyboard is stuck

Closed Thread